Author Topic: Vote Reset (Dec 2019)  (Read 3017 times)

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Vote Reset (Dec 2019)
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
On another note, I only ever saw one message appear for that vote. With how the vote system is set up currently with non-votes acting as "no" votes, people should be aware that a vote is active and one message is pretty easy to miss.

Pretty sure the vote lasts five minutes with the message appearing each minute (5 times total).

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
On another note, I only ever saw one message appear for that vote. With how the vote system is set up currently with non-votes acting as "no" votes, people should be aware that a vote is active and one message is pretty easy to miss.

Pretty sure the vote lasts five minutes with the message appearing each minute (5 times total).

I've been seeing it flash once and then go away. I've intentionally waited off on voting for resets to test this lately but haven't gotten many chances to check it.
"No, you." -Captain America

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Yeah, I think I've noticed this too.  I wasn't sure if it was a bug or me just losing track of the messages in the flow of things.  I will try to pay closer attention henceforth.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
I don't think there's so much of an issue with the Vote Reset function as it currently stands. The fact you require the overwhelming majority of the server to vote 'Yes', not just, 'No,' means that if there was an issue the majority of the server was experiencing, that the majority of the server would respond. Many people experience issues with connection that are entirely on a local level. The point of the system is to make it an absolute server-breaking nightmare to require a reset, not just a little inconvenient lag for a handful of players. The server was being reset way, waaaay to frequently in the past, and I still think the resets are too frequent as it is.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
I think its perfect how it is.

Those that didn't vote didn't feel the need to type out "vote reset no" in your example. So the majority had said no. It's quite the intrusive message when you're in the middle of roleplay, not experiencing issues, and then this bright yellow message reminds you this is just a game and people have conducted a vote that'd quite likely inconvenience your current situation simply because they are having problems when you are not.

Resetting the server doesnt reset the gear running it, just the application. There's no shortage of scanning through Discord to find people clamouring for a reset only to find out it fixed absolutely nothing for the people having issues.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
It's quite the intrusive message when you're in the middle of roleplay, not experiencing issues, and then this bright yellow message reminds you this is just a game and people have conducted a vote that'd quite likely inconvenience your current situation simply because they are having problems when you are not.

Once again, not trying to be rude, but simply trying to understand. How is the reset vote any more intrusive than "ropeplay exp gained" or "detect mode activated" or any of the other messages that pop up? At a certain point, it stops becoming the staffs responsibility to protect immersion and becomes the responsibility of the player. The staff can't be held accountable for everything that shatters ones immersion. This server is a shared experience, given that it takes three people to initiate a vote, and there's going to be a lot more than just three people voting for "Yes". Some of those issues that could easily be fixed with a reset can make it so people CAN play the game. There's been loads of times where the lag was so bad on my end that the game was unplayable, or there are times where the caravan master in the mist camp dies and you have a dozen people stranded in the camp. A 5 minutes wait for the server to reset and another 5 minutes to resume your places isn't all that bad compared to "This is so bad I have to stop playing until the problem is fixed". Will a reset fix everything? No, you point that out yourself. But even something as simple as the reset cleaning the shop inventories can do a great deal for lag.

On a server I used to run, we had a DM tool that we'd use to clean the inventories on certain shops that were very high traffic to cut down on lag. Given how POTMs economy works, shops can hit 20+ pages within a day after a reset. It's not uncommon to see a shop with 3 pages of Kali necklaces. Maybe have something like that to clean packed shops to cut down on lag so people vote for resets less often?
"No, you." -Captain America

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
Those that didn't vote didn't feel the need to type out "vote reset no" in your example. So the majority had said no. It's quite the intrusive message when you're in the middle of roleplay, not experiencing issues, and then this bright yellow message reminds you this is just a game and people have conducted a vote that'd quite likely inconvenience your current situation simply because they are having problems when you are not.

If you have your chat messages separate from your system messages, this is literally no more immersion breaking and people literally logging in and out. And you have a manual fix for that. Click the arrow on top of that chat box. It closes it. Poof, all OOC stuff on. All stuff not happening in your immediate surroundings, gone.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2019, 01:08:44 AM »

If you have your chat messages separate from your system messages, this is literally no more immersion breaking and people literally logging in and out. And you have a manual fix for that. Click the arrow on top of that chat box. It closes it. Poof, all OOC stuff on. All stuff not happening in your immediate surroundings, gone.

First, no player can tell another player how disruptive something is because you're not in the other player's mind and skin. But more to the point, it's objectively not so because someone logging in and out need not affect you, but asking you to vote and letting you know that the server might reset does involve you.

Frankly, I'm often amazed at how often some in our community seem to think their behavior has zero impact on others. Such solipsistic thinking is why some believe a server reset so as to use the crystal to re-level a PC is a perfectly acceptable reason.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:16:37 AM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
It's quite the intrusive message when you're in the middle of roleplay, not experiencing issues, and then this bright yellow message reminds you this is just a game and people have conducted a vote that'd quite likely inconvenience your current situation simply because they are having problems when you are not.

Once again, not trying to be rude, but simply trying to understand. How is the reset vote any more intrusive than "ropeplay exp gained" or "detect mode activated" or any of the other messages that pop up? At a certain point, it stops becoming the staffs responsibility to protect immersion and becomes the responsibility of the player. The staff can't be held accountable for everything that shatters ones immersion. This server is a shared experience, given that it takes three people to initiate a vote, and there's going to be a lot more than just three people voting for "Yes". Some of those issues that could easily be fixed with a reset can make it so people CAN play the game. There's been loads of times where the lag was so bad on my end that the game was unplayable, or there are times where the caravan master in the mist camp dies and you have a dozen people stranded in the camp. A 5 minutes wait for the server to reset and another 5 minutes to resume your places isn't all that bad compared to "This is so bad I have to stop playing until the problem is fixed". Will a reset fix everything? No, you point that out yourself. But even something as simple as the reset cleaning the shop inventories can do a great deal for lag.

On a server I used to run, we had a DM tool that we'd use to clean the inventories on certain shops that were very high traffic to cut down on lag. Given how POTMs economy works, shops can hit 20+ pages within a day after a reset. It's not uncommon to see a shop with 3 pages of Kali necklaces. Maybe have something like that to clean packed shops to cut down on lag so people vote for resets less often?

It is worth noting that vote reset also appears above our heads as well, which more than XP Gained or the server log for arriving/departing players.