You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Alchemical Darts/Throwing Axes  (Read 990 times)

Wine-Stain

• New to the Mists
  • snip snip
Alchemical Darts/Throwing Axes
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:50:34 AM »
These weapons are barely-used. The stack size is smaller than arrows, the damage is much less, blah, blah. Would it be possible to implement alchemical templates for them to make them a touch more attractive as a thrown weapon of choice?

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Alchemical Darts/Throwing Axes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
That'd be cool.

Dante101

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 10:25:41 AM »
I'm not a dev, but I'd be willing to bet this is more of a balance concern than anything else. Arrows and bullets are ammunition for weapons that do not benefit from strength modifiers for damage, unless they have the Mighty modifier. Thrown weapons have no limit to the amount of strength damage bonus they can gain. Additionally, thrown weapons can be used with shields for maintaining high AC.

It seems too powerful to me, compared to other craftable ranged weaponry.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
Wait, did they add steel craftable templates?

I can see the argument against alchemical throwing axes.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
Bow's have mighty well equal to what most people can achieve. Throwing weapons are heavy, their damage is lower (this would be represented in the alchemical damage as well) and their crit modifiers are basic. I'm not sure I see the balance concern.

Dante101

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
Bow's have mighty well equal to what most people can achieve. Throwing weapons are heavy, their damage is lower (this would be represented in the alchemical damage as well) and their crit modifiers are basic. I'm not sure I see the balance concern.

Those who would greatly benefit from an unlimited mighty trait wouldn't care for how heavy they are, and high strength characters would see an enormous benefit from it.  Most people when sufficiently buffed can reach the limit offered by bows.  And I'll bring up the shield piece again: with a bow, one puts themselves at risk with significantly less AC than a shield user to engage a target at range.  Not necessarily the case with a shield and throwing ax.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »
I often wanted to add throwing axes, the problem is the amount of material it would logically take to make X amounts of axes. To fit the current weapon crafting model they'd have to be crafted one at time. It just would make throwing axes crafting needlessly tedious and we decided against it.

I have to look into darts, a single ingot would realistically yield several darts. It would be under the regular weapon smithing craft if it ever comes to be though.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
Darts! Yes, please. Maybe something like each ingot makes 10 darts. They'd probably have to be +1 though to actually be useable since you can't have bonuses to attack versus alignment groups or racial types like a bow or sling. Even more so when you consider how small their base damage is.
"No, you." -Captain America

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
Why would throwing axes need to be created one at a time when you could just say something like 5-10 ingots for a stack of 50?
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Kamfrenchie

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 06:03:56 AM »
arrows and bolts also get the damage bonus from the bow and crossbow. Throwing axes don't.

Can't you put a cap on the strenght bonus  they would get anyways ?

Can't say i've ever seen anyone use throwing axes or darts, in any case.