Author Topic: Elemental Enchantment  (Read 1409 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Elemental Enchantment
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »
This is both a suggestion and a question.

Like, we got enchantment as a craft. It works great the way it does. However,  two things:

1) Powering the enchanting of things is only possible once you're lvl 14, right?
2) Why isn't there an option for enchanting elemental damage on pc-made weapons? Is this not possible with the coding? Or just not something that the developers want to include?

The way I could see it working is that we'd use the responding varnish ( Fire, cold, acid, negative) to enchant a weapon. Something like a starting enchantment that one could get at lvl 8 or so. Nothing major, maybe 1 or 2 additional damage? Just enough to give the weapon that elemental look. Acid dripping, enflamed blade, ect.

Heck, maybe it could persist when it's enchanted at a later level? Or even enhanced to 1d4? Not sure if that's too overpowered. Or even doable. Depends on how enchanting works behind the scenes.

Anyway, feel free to chime in!

Chabxxu

Re: Elemental Enchantment
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »
I see where you’re going with that, but this type of enchanting would be very strong for smaller weapons and people who attack many times per turn, since it would be bigger % of their damage that would be added. Also, leveling to lvl 8 is actually really quick and it wouldnt be very hard to regain the xp lost from enchanting, while the hit of going it later is much bigger

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
Currently, enchanting is a big deal, and its significance justifies what I would imagine were the Dev resources required to implement. This seems more lightweight in comparison as far as impact, but would (I think) require comparable Dev resources to implement.

Yet we already have varnishes that do what this would do, although only temporarily.

If this enchantment were made possible, either it would be popular or not, based on whether players thought giving up XP worth having a permanent varnish. If popular, it would largely render varnishes worthless (the craft and all the Dev effort that went into creating the craft), as varnishes would be much less in demand.

If not popular and players continued to rely on varnishes, then the new feature would have been wasted effort.

Or is the intent that it would stack with a varnish?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:02:14 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Agony

• Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »
When you enchant, you already get some bonus damage. Positive, I think it is.

... Just enough to give the weapon that elemental look. Acid dripping, enflamed blade, ect...

I am personally very opposed to this part. While having everyone run around with glowy weapons works in some settings, I think it would take away some of the grittiness of this one.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »
Maybe make it an "infusion" process where you have to first enchant the weapon, then you can add in an addition 2 points of elemental damage for something like 2000 exp. Cap it so you can only do it at level 16 or so.

With the damage ao low, it's basically just a cosmetic thing at that point. The extra customization would be a nice touch.
"No, you." -Captain America

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
I think a two stage progression on enchanting would be good, that you have to work through so much xp loss at level 14+ solely makes it feel like such a grind simply because you dont see any character leveling progression for such a long time. Perhaps an initial stage that could be completed at level 8 or so with a minor enchantment that could contribute to the major one would be a nice addition.. less zero to hero at level 14+. This is obviously a huge amount of work though so it's very much a wishlist item.

I think varnishes fill the elemental enhancement niche very well.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
We definitely won't lower the level for enchanting or provide enchanting options at lower levels. As others have stated, losing XP at lower levels can easily be gained back, thus nullifying the impact it has. At some point we may allow people to enchant with other essences but not at a lower level.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
Currently, enchanting is a big deal, and its significance justifies what I would imagine were the Dev resources required to implement. This seems more lightweight in comparison as far as impact, but would (I think) require comparable Dev resources to implement.

Yet we already have varnishes that do what this would do, although only temporarily.

If this enchantment were made possible, either it would be popular or not, based on whether players thought giving up XP worth having a permanent varnish. If popular, it would largely render varnishes worthless (the craft and all the Dev effort that went into creating the craft), as varnishes would be much less in demand.

If not popular and players continued to rely on varnishes, then the new feature would have been wasted effort.

Or is the intent that it would stack with a varnish?

The intent wasn't for it to stack with the same kind of varnish, no. Same as with any enchant, the higher rating takes claim. Other varnishes would stack, though, same as with any weapon with elemental properties.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'it would largely render varnishes worthless if it's popular', though.

I mean, sure, it would render the most basic varnishes worthless if the 1d4 bit was implemented…..But the remaining grades of varnishes would still be better to have.

Regardless,  it won't ever be a lower level enchantment, it seems. Would still make for a nice expansion of customization for enchanted weapons, I feel.

Kamfrenchie

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:38 AM »
I feel this could only be considered if you were to give it a drawback.
Say you want permanent damage on your weapon ? You have to give up the positive energy damage bonus for it.

I feel like those who really want a one of a kind weapon can maybe work with a smith pc and then ask the dm if they can craft a special item. Though it wont be enchanted

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 02:58:33 AM »
Say you want permanent damage on your weapon ? You have to give up the positive energy damage bonus for it.

I'm all for elemental flavouring of the positive energy into something else if it can be returned with magic essence, and perhaps be a way that doesnt cost XP to do, and that it was only positive <-> other greater elemental essence directional.

Could be an interesting way to spend essences to train enchanting skill without everyone paying a heavy price, essentially still taking radiant essence between every two crafts (to something new and back again) which aren't too easy to come by.

There are already weapons with innate VFX that are difficult to come by, makes sense only lvl 14+ folk would be able to get it.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 07:46:01 AM »
We definitely won't lower the level for enchanting or provide enchanting options at lower levels. As others have stated, losing XP at lower levels can easily be gained back, thus nullifying the impact it has. At some point we may allow people to enchant with other essences but not at a lower level.

I've always hoped for that. Could it perhaps be something that is added ontop of the components already needed, could even cost more xp? Or perhaps replace the type of damage bonus with that of the elemental essence?

Lowering the level is something that should so not be done. It would make it less extreme, since as it is you are infusing your own soul/energy... Takes a good bit of built up will power to witstand such. in my opinion
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan