Author Topic: NWN:EE bug report: Problem with NwSync  (Read 1151 times)

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
NWN:EE bug report: Problem with NwSync
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:56:11 PM »
I recently tried to download the haks using the NWSync for the test server on version 1.79. When there was about 1GB left, I got a message like what my "database or disk is full". Checking my NWN EE files, the "database" was completely empty and there's plenty of place left on my disk for the download, unless I'm missing the meaning which I would like clarification about if anyone can help.

I don't think this bug is necessarily related to the server, since other players seems to have been able to log onto the new version. Rather, I've been having trouble with my NWSync since I got my new computer and I'm thinking perhaps someone around might know a thing or two about the trouble (also to help others who might have the same issue).

After downloading NWN EE on my new computer, I was unable to download any NWSync content available at the time. For some reason, I was missing the files, so I copied and transferred through USB all the game files. I did that after downloading the requirements through my laptop, which was the device I used prior. I have no problem with the game on my laptop, only the performance isn't quite as desirable as my new computer. Still, having transferred those files allows me to download further content through NWSync, however there are further problems:

-Although I am given the option to create a character when logging in, once I hit "play" I get an error message. So I basically have to turn on my laptop each time I want to create a character, which again is not the most desirable. Still, after having done so, I am able to log as that new character through both devices afterwards.
(Minor problems of new computer)
-Although I am able to write note through the in game journal, closing the window before re-opening it causes the notes to vanish without being saved.
-Unable to see custom-made portraits, even though the pictures are in the portrait file.
-Unable to create a campaign save.

I've tried many time to re-download the whole game, one time on both of my computers to see if there wasn't some sort of bug coming from Steam. Most issues online seems to discuss about solving NWSync bugs from the host side and not so much the player's. My conclusion thus far is that Windows 10 has some scripting issues while downloading, but I'd like to see insight from perhaps more knowledgeable people.

Cheers
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

zDark Shadowz

Re: NWN:EE bug report: Problem with NwSync
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:40 AM »
Being unable to set up a journal, create a character, create a save?

Sounds like read/write issues. My sister had similar issues and found that her antivirus her computer had come with had the Documents folder set up as protected under their 'Safe Folders' list.

Best guess is either:

Your directories in your nwn.ini file are incorrect from copying information incorrectly from another computer.

Or

The Documents folder is protected from other programs writing to it, either from a 'safe folders' list or something similar.

If it's the former, I'd recommend installing NWN:EE from scratch, and then ONLY copying the files you want to carry over into their respective individual folders. If it's the latter, hope you know your way around what you have installed.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:50:24 AM »
Check if there's a folder called "nwsync" in your "Documents \ Neverwinter Nights" folder and if not, create it.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
Okay so... I already have an NWSync file in my Documents>Neverwinter Nights folder. The game and folder itself are already allowed by my antivirus. However, although I had played with the directory prior, it seems Steam (and NWN in general) is unable to read one of my computer username (IRL name) since it has a special character in it ("e" with an accent -> "é"). This caused the game to replace that character with other ones which might've caused trouble with the reading process. I replaced those special characters with the "é" in the nwn.ini file and now I am able to create a campagne, write in the IG journal without losing notes and portraits seems to work fine.

However, having done that caused my NWSync to be unable to locate my folder directory. I suspect the journal/campaign stuff can be located directly in the file, while the NWSync needs to be read by the Beamdog server or whatnot, and that special character keeps messing it up. I'll try to find a way again to solve that part, but thanks again for your insights.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
Alright. Confirming the NWSync cannot read your directory if it has a special character such as "é" in it. It's rather replace it by a character it can read but then for returning and finding your nwsync file it'll get lost and won't be able to download a server's content (from what I'm understanding). To solve the issue, I created a nwsync folder in one of my "Local disk" folders, then you just have to change the directory in the nwn.ini files to whatever new directory (i.e. S:\Neverwinter Nights\nwsync) and you should be good to go.