Author Topic: Monk Multiclassing  (Read 1420 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Monk Multiclassing
« on: October 29, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »
I'm sure this point has been raised a few times, but.....Why not change the way Monk Multiclassing is handled? I get that Monk mixed with certain classes (druid being an obvious one) is bonkers, but it seems draconian to utterly deny -any- multiclassing. There's a wealth of possibilities there that just can't be done.

I can see three viable ways to do it:

1) Make 'Monk / Any other class' something that needs an application to do. Not an ideal choice, due to the extra work it would give the Council. But still an option.

2) Only allow a few classes. Monk/Fighter? Monk/Rogue? Monk/Bard? Only ones I wouldn't allow really, are Druid/Cleric/Paladin. Not a bad way of doing it.

3) More stringent required levels. You need -at least- 10 levels of Monk before you can Multiclass. Roleplay-wise : At that point in your capacities, you can say you mastered the basics of monkhood.....And can maybe branch out.

This also seems like a good way of preventing the more OP builds. Shoot, even 10 Monk/10 Druid would be pretty dope, but it wouldn't have the insane amounts of power some of the greater wildshapes would have of a Druid lvl 12. By the time you would have, say, Claws of the savage, you'd be lvl 17.  Same for a wizard's Haste, cleric spells, ect...

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
Re: Monk Multiclassing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 05:54:52 AM »
Monk/bard doesn't seem to be good idea at all. Well, from a point of powerbuilding it has its advantages, but usually chaotic harum-scarum type of personality, that jumps between various sources of inspiration, instead of focusing on repetitive training and being disciplined, won't mix well rp wise.
Multiclassing is possible (I am sure you knew that), but only in prcs. Again, taking a closer look at mechanical adavantages, I'd say monk/divine champion is super good. Same as monk/assassin stands on good spot.

In my opinion, monk's trouble is not in her inability to multiclass into base classes. It's not something that needs a change, not right now anyway, but further discussion of this matter better be done in separate forum thread.

P. S.
From what I understand in 3.5 dnd monks can multiclass freely, but if they raise a level in new class they may never raise a level in monk class after that.
It would be good to know what was the idea of dev team when multiclassing was forbidden.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:33:48 AM »
This rule against the multiclassing of monk into other standard classes dates back from the early days of the server, nearly 15 years ago already. Back then, monk multiclassing was widely abused to make insanely strong built. The rule was made to stop that trend. It is unlikely to be rescinded.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

nostalgicsamurai

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Multiclassing is possible (I am sure you knew that), but only in prcs. Again, taking a closer look at mechanical adavantages, I'd say monk/divine champion is super good. Same as monk/assassin stands on good spot.

Divine champion? Why would you want that? You already get a slew of feats in this server, monk's saving throws are already great, and you likely don't have enough charisma as a monk to take advantage of divine wrath (and if you do have high charisma, it means you've nerfed your build by dropping some more essential attributes for a once per rest ability). There is high BAB I guess, but still, it's not really worth it IMO.

Monk/assassin now, that is pretty good. Access to UMD and death attacks with a lot of APR. Even scarier if you can get shadowdancer into the mix, but I assume you'd be hard pressed to have an application for that validated.

Monk/shadowdancer with guns is pretty scary too.

Monk/weapon master is good for monks that go double kama/nunchaku/sai or quarterstaff.

Monk/dwarven defender seems pretty tanky. I could see it for a dwarven quarterstaff monk (well, I guess double kama could work too, but it just feels wrong with a dwarf IMO).

And that's it. All other monk multiclassing options are subpar IMO. Though to be honest, pure monk is still my favorite, these 1d20 fists at level 16 are just too good ^^.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:41:31 AM »
I would want divine champion for extra attack atop of monk's already ridiculous amount, more ab and keeping two of three saving throws on a high progression accompanied with small bonus to all saves granted by sacred defense, being able to have 15 monk lvls for extra monk perks (ac, movement speed).
It's matter of personal preference. I'd not go for wm monk on a server where 70% of foes are immune to critical strikes. Neither I'd want to drop lvl 15 monk bonuses in order to reach level 7 in wm class.
As for charisma. There are always potions and juju powder to buff it.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
I would want divine champion for extra attack atop of monk's already ridiculous amount, more ab and keeping two of three saving throws on a high progression accompanied with small bonus to all saves granted by sacred defense, being able to have 15 monk lvls for extra monk perks (ac, movement speed).
It's matter of personal preference. I'd not go for wm monk on a server where 70% of foes are immune to critical strikes. Neither I'd want to drop lvl 15 monk bonuses in order to reach level 7 in wm class.
As for charisma. There are always potions and juju powder to buff it.

As far as I'm aware, Monks can multi-class into a PRC with an application, but not any base class.