You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Treant Form for Druids (Feat)  (Read 989 times)

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Treant Form for Druids (Feat)
« on: October 13, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
Treants are one of my favourite (non-undead) fantasy creatures, and sadly, I find them rather underrepresented. I'm sure this is is because deep forest areas in the module aren't many, but they're not exactly hard to find, and some are one transition away from a main road.

I was reading here on Mistipedia that treants in Ravenloft are rare and typically evil creatures, even those who come from Forgotten Realms, where they're typically good.

I don't rightly know how Druids come across the power to attune to their forms either in Ravenloft or Forgotten Realms--I've never seen further explanation or a full rulebook, I imagine it's left mostly open ended and linked to their meditations, but exposure to the creatures in the first place is somewhat important (which was one of the questions I had posed in a previous feedback thread about Druid forms).

With the exposure available, and a variety of unique uses for this hallmark fantasy creature available for thinktanking, I naturally thought how they could come under player control. Because this form would be very niche, I think it should be separate from Elemental Shape, be made available at a lower level even to non-pure Druids.

This is what I propose:

"Treant Shape" is a feat that becomes available at Druid 9. A Druid who chooses this feat can spend a Wild Shape charge to become a Treant.

Its applications:

From the NWN2 wiki:
A treant’s legs fit together when closed to look like the trunk of a tree, and a motionless treant is nearly indistinguishable from a tree.

The stat block from over there...

STR 29
    DEX 8
    CON 21
    2-12 base damage
    22 Armor Class
    Immunity to disease, critical hits, mind effects, paralysis, poison, fear.
    50% vulnerability to Fire.
    Animal affecting spells such as Magic Fang can be used

...looks mostly fine to me for a CR 9 shape, the vulnerability to fire is a nice touch. Perhaps the AC needs to be adjusted down, since a Druid of this level can already use Barkskin and Cat's Grace to shore up that weakness, as well as Stoneskin if they really need it.

They could be conferred with a significant bonus to Hide, but Move Silently should be unaffected or lose a few points (if they didn't already due to its low DEX).

Treants are typically portrayed as slow creatures, they could perhaps be locked to walking speed.

Disclaimer: I don't really know where official material on the Treant Shape might appear. I did find this page, which references an official rulebook showing what looks like a PrC that can turn into a Treant. It also suggests a Treant can even cast spells which would make this form really come into its own despite being slow and lumbering. If anyone else has any comments/criticism to share please post and help build this idea.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

zDark Shadowz

Re: Treant Form for Druids (Feat)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
I can see it being fine if it used up elemental shapes and required the Oaken Resilience feat perhaps, gating it behind lvl 16 but having two different forms, one at lvl 16 and the other at lvl 20, with the level 20 variant being akin to those trees in Sithicus maybe (though not nearly as OP)

Otherwise there's this 5e spell https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/guardian-of-nature

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
Oaken Resilience as a requirement would be cool, though my intention with this suggestion was to get something added which would offer a situational ability in a feat package as opposed to "just another" elemental shape that only high levels get to use. Pure druid is already a very good class, and I don't know if anyone would grind for months and months just for this, even if it is intrinsically very familiar to the Gothic Horror genre. Seeing it get some other upgrades at high level would be great, but its situationals should come first--the other elementals are already great for shredding with optimal stats in all categories.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 06:34:28 PM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Technically in 3.5, Druids, at level 12, can wild shape into plants. Something we could implement at some point but won't have time for this hak update.