You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: How to Get Started Questions  (Read 2046 times)

Weyland

• Outlander
How to Get Started Questions
« on: October 11, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
Hi, I'm reading the "How to Get Started" from here: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg6940#msg6940

I tried to follow the Beamdog link to Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition and there's nothing but a "404: Page not found" error message.

What the fudgesicle is Beamdog?

What happened to GOG?

Is it no longer possible to play on a non-Windows platform?  What is Enhanced Edition and how is it different than the Diamond Edition that I have from GOG?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: How to Get Started Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »
Hi. Try to check out steam for NWN EE. I am not sure what's wrong with Beamdog's link, here's a working link to Beam dog's platform. The difference that Beamdog's platform might be more stable to an extent (not by much) but there are more add ons and overrides in the steam workshop for NWN that greatly improve the game.

Beamdog platform

Neverwinter Nights is still a viable game to play in Diamond Edition or classic, but Beamdog picked up the old game and reworked it. See This thread About EE and our server's move to EE.

For faster, live responses and help, check out our Discord Channel here and hit up the Free Advice chat and we'll help you get started.

At this time, GoG does not seem to be selling copies of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (NWN EE), due to the fact that we're still in Beta.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »
I fixed the link in the original post.

mf_hansen

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
If you go by the Steam version, you can subscribe via its community Workshop to the "Ravenloft POTM Main Download" here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1404137617
That makes things easy for ensuring you always have the latest version of any custom content that POTM server requires to connect.

Note that subscribing for it requires the Community Expansion Pack (linked on the right side when you visit the website) but several other Persistent World servers also use this pack so it is nice to have regardless of playing on POTM server or not. Ravenloft POTM Main Download is also part of a collection by Z217 of various other nice to have content, but only the main download and CEP are required to join the server.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:50:46 PM by mf_hansen »
Forum PM or tell mf_hansen in game or chat on Discord between 17:00-22:00 GMT.

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
Well I might point out one other confusing part of the original post. Under "1. Core Game" I believe the very last sentence used to lead to some instructions for a manual installation  method that is no longer supported since moving to Enhanced Edition.  It's the last sentence that reads:  "Otherwise, for manual install, follow these steps below:"  There is a colon but then nothing follows except for sections 2 and 3 which must be followed in any case (not just "otherwise", as the sentence starts out with this qualifier).

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
I don't know the whole thing is confusing

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
I used to have a /home/nwn folder that contained a virtually perfected copy of neverwinter nights diamond edition from gog and the latest CEP and Ravenloft Hak and the Extras.  I could simply copy/paste that folder onto a fresh system, do a few basic things, and be connected to the PotM server in no time.  That's what I want with this new Enhanced Edition.  I don't want anyone's service or special downloader.  Just the client please.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
You can play on your own like that. But I don't think it's possible to connect to other servers without either Beamdog or Steam.

Maybe if you are very tech savvy.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
That's entirely unhelpful Dark Shadowz.  Entirely.

Does someone want to help me understand what is going on here?  What is the Beamdog Client?  If I purchase EE from Beamdog, then do I need to run the Beamdog Client every time I want to launch the NWN client and connect to the PotM server?

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
Beamdog has their own client in which you can activate your purchased games through your account there, if you have one.

You can buy NWN:EE from these three major outlets and be guaranteed a working copy:

Beamdog
Steam
Good Old Games (GoG)

You can play Prisoners of the Mist with a copy from any of these retailers. What you have to do is download the custom files and add them to your game folder to be able to access Prisoners of the Mists (and we use quite a lot of custom content here). These can be easily found on the Steam workshop and downloaded, if you buy it through there. Otherwise, they can be found on the forums here and installed manually.

If you buy through Beamdog, you don't have to use their launcher. You can just launch it from the directory, just like Steam, and Good old Games. The client that has the most DRM is most certainly Steam, though, so if you're bothered by that perhaps avoid it.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.