You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: need a new NWN PC  (Read 1356 times)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
need a new NWN PC
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:40:43 AM »
Hi guys,

I decided I need a new PC. Main reason I am not around much on POTM is that NWN EE crashes like hell on my current notebook. So anyone can give me some advice what I need to run NWN EE super smoothly?

Thanks guys  <3

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
Re: need a new NWN PC
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 04:15:15 AM »
You should expect EE to crash on occasion with the current build version, regardless. I have high-end hardware and doesn't cut them out entirely. But you certainly don't need expensive components to run NWN smoothly (when it does run) either.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:12 AM »
I currently run a variety of hardware to play EE.  You don't need anything ridiculous, but I 'would' recommend a desktop if you can manage it.  It will also depend on what else is running on it.  I have the luxury of having an NWN EE computer that does precisely nothing else except play NWN, so its pretty weak in terms of its power.  If I can make a decent, long term suggestion however, I'd recommend:

An intel i5 dual core processor.
8GB of RAM.
A decent hard drive but nothing overboard.
And a 1GB graphics card - a Nvidia 9 series would be good, probably, or a 1030.  I currently use a 512mb graphics card, and its more than fine.

Find something that has those and you should be fine, if you're not putting it together yourself.  A shop bought PC with a bunch of extra rubbish loaded into it will suck up more resources, so keep that in mind and boost what you need just a touch.  Less stuff running in the background, the better.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:59:11 AM »
You should expect EE to crash on occasion with the current build version, regardless. I have high-end hardware and doesn't cut them out entirely. But you certainly don't need expensive components to run NWN smoothly (when it does run) either.

I had a five-year old laptop with Windows 7 and almost never crashed. On Windows 10 and a brand new system, I crash about once an hour it seems. Certain areas in Port and Vallaki if I've been playing for any length of time always cause crashes, but it can be something as simple as emoting a die roll or someone else entering an area my PC already is in.

So I would not look to upgrade hardware to fix this problem. If you need a new PC for other reasons, sure, but not in hopes of running EE more smoothly :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
2gb graphics card and 8gb ram was my previous one, got some monstrosity of an OP gaming laptop now and the difference is minimal because NWN is a 32-bit game.

Framerate is basically all you get out of going up any higher, and the ability of your computer to render the horses, trenchcoat robes and that glitched CEP tree placeable that for some reason is being used for misty willows still. Some peoples computers will freeze up for seconds at a time trying to render those.

mf_hansen

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
Get the fastest single thread Intel CPU you can afford, and any nVidia graphics card :P

Fast Intel CPU because NWN:EE is still not using many threads and not optimized for AMD, so fast cores matter over many. Lighting and shadows are also handled by the CPU in older games like NWN:EE so slow cores will struggle in large areas here.

Nvidia GPU because AMD drivers for OpenGL have been neglected on Windows for ages. Maybe that will change with a new NWN:EE renderer via Vulkan in the future, but for now expect AMD OpenGL to cut your FPS in half unless you use Linux.

A fast SSD might help a lot with the frequent area load times and the FPS drops/freeze while some assets load in on the fly (first time you spot a player character or CEP/custom models that are not preloaded with the normal area loading screen).

That's my understanding at least. If you like having money, or a CPU that is future proof with PS5+ games using many cores, disregard ALL of the above :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:26:09 PM by mf_hansen »
Forum PM or tell mf_hansen in game or chat on Discord between 17:00-22:00 GMT.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
Just make sure you have an nvidia graphics card and you should be good. As stated above, you don't need a lot to run NWN but I feel like having an nvidia GPU will spare you a lot of issues. My current PC is probably 4-5 years old by now and running Windows 10. I almost never crash or even have much lag, and what little lag I do experience is usually only a slight stutter if I walk into an area like the Western Outskirts when there are a big crowd of people and merchants with their wares laid out on the ground.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:04:31 PM by Jeebs »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
A fast SSD might help a lot with the frequent area load times and the FPS drops/freeze while some assets load in on the fly (first time you spot a player character or CEP/custom models that are not preloaded with the normal area loading screen).

My new laptop has a SSD, and I haven't noticed significant improvement there. After a crash it does seem to make a big difference when I have to restart the whole thing.

Unfortunately, that just means I get to see more messages about my CD key already in use :D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.