Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

On Cutting Wood / Mining Ore

(1/3) > >>

Dredi:
Hello!

So, fairly new to posting and to the server in a more general sense.

Question is: Gathering materials for the relevent crafting skills require time spent gathering materials from nodes across the server. For Mining and Wood cutting this can be very difficult / time consuming for lower strength characters - this exists to the point that people have noted taking (Improved) Power attack purely for this (Which themselves have strength requirements)

From what I can gather, this is an intentional design - given that more difficult materials tend to have increased Damage resistance, but for a lowly 12 strength rogue, cutting down an oak tree (5dr) with a 1d6 damage weapon could take full hours of real life time.

So.. here's a few idea's to maybe make it a touch more accessable for certain characters.

1. Give the woodcutters hatchets and mining picks the feat: power attack and some negative to offset this from being used in combat, such as a significant negative to AC while equipped.

With the current implimentation of the system this is perhaps the most simple way to do things and allows a character to output enough damage to more consistantly mine a particular resource while people invested into imp.power attack and strength would still be considerably faster.

2. Have the damage resistance slowly wear down as it is attacked / as it takes damage

This is more difficult, i've definately seen it implimented before but I've not enough experience with NWN's scripting to say "This is exactly how you would do it" so I may be wrong. It is admittedly my preferred implimentation, this means that the benefits of current builds and feats (Re: power attack / high strength) would remain unchanged, but that lower strength characters can more quickly gather resources in the long term.

3. Impliment a more "on hit" or "on struck" based custom system which is entirely unreliant on physical damage dealt

More scripting still, possibly unreasonably so given the relatively minor impact and far from my preference but put up here for considerations sake.

So uh.. thoughts?

SardineTheAncestor:
My woodcutter character is high strength but even I'm not opposed to this, since the wearing down of the DR could represent the axe wedge in the tree getting deeper and deeper as it nears being felled. Some people are so high strength they can cut trees down in a few swings though, maybe there just needs to be a boost to lower strength characters somehow. Power attack on the axe might be it.

I'd also like to see 2h 1d10 or 1d12 woodcutting axes, but I don't know if there's a model for it.

THE STREET WARRIOR:
Bull's strength, apply magic to the axe or hire someone to cut wood for you. You're character isn't built for physical labor, why water it down? There are crafts that characters will not be efficient at or will be impossible for them to do. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it should change.

Dredi:
While there may be an argument for not making any change at all, I don't really feel that's a fair argument.

Reasoning? - This is the only aspect of any crafting which is heavily impacted by your base attributes.
Would it feel fairer if we were to say, prevent people from collecting hides without adequate dex, herbs without wisdom and alchemy ingredients without Intelligence?

Of course not. - My view of the crafting system is that any character can go into any craft with enough time, patience and materials. While certain stats will help you and give you a natural edge starting out in some of the crafts none are as objectively locked out to progression as smelting and woodcutting are based purely on your base attributes.

zDark Shadowz:
Cant collect hides/reagents if you cant kill the creatures. Cant cut the wood if you cant damage it.

Theres a plethora of ways to inflict damage to inanimate objects. If you cant harvest it yourself because of a crippling build/roleplay decision, hire someone who can.

Option 3 is okay but getting wood without cutting it probably wouldnt yield the kind of wood you need for bows. The ore you want is from following veins, there might be some easier surface stuff but you really have to dig hard and deep for usable material usually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version