Author Topic: Crafting Oddities  (Read 926 times)

Lenshan

• New to the Mists
Crafting Oddities
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »
I'm a relatively new crafter.  After taking a few tries, I think I've built a character that can handle most of the crafting without running afoul of muling laws.  However, in my learning, there were some things that were downright frustrating, that I thought I should mention.  You may determine that these things are fine the way they are, or you may see the need to improve.  Either way, I'm just documenting. 

Weapon Proficiency - this was the first big hurdle I ran into.  I created a druid, asked someone about smithing/smelting, and they directed me to Zeklos.  Whereupon I talked with the smithy only to learn that it was impossible for me to use smithing without taking an additional feat.   I then tried to go to the mines, and faced a similar problem - the mining picks also require martial weapons proficiency - (which brings me to the second point in a moment).   Later on, I would find that weapon/armorsmithing seems to be the only craft that requires a special weapon proficiency, as I think anyone can use the dagger needed for hide curing. At least as far as I've tried.  Should the ability to wield a hammer in combat be required for smithing?  I do not know for certain, but the proficiency requirement seems worth mentioning in the craft description at the very least (like the arcane magic requirement is listed in enchanting description).

Special tools are not actually needed for mining.  I learned on my druid, that I could cut the rocks hard enough with a scimitar, they would bleed ore.  The only difference seemed to be that it did not give me the RP message about the mining pick.  This may be a bug.  It worked out in my favor if it was, but I'm reporting it.  Also as of note, I have no intention of ever playing that druid again, since I wanted to one day craft a weapon for him, and it is not particularly feasible without breaking rules. I do now realize that druids in this mod have access to the martial weapons feat, something disallowed by general D&D lore to my knowledge.  Nonetheless, I've moved on.  I suspect, but have not tested, that this also holds true of woodcutting.

Lastly, there are several mysteries that I think could use some in-game explanations.
For leatherworking, there are two patterns on the vendor (boots and bag) which do not specify the categories of ingredients needed in the description. 
For smelting bronze and steel, you'd think that maybe an NPC might be able to tell you about the necessary ratios. 
Crafting weapons and armor with different materials yields some interesting results - maybe someone with enough lore skill should be able to pick up on this by examining the ingots?
Lastly, (and this may just be because I'm missing some necessary knowledge), a minor quality of life complaint that doesn't particularly need addressing.  I've tried a lot of things, but can't seem to do craft anything with all my excess tin.  Lots of success with copper and bronze.  Of course this makes sense, but it feels bad to smelt all that tin just to sell it for 1gp each or leave it in the smelter for the next person.  Granted, I haven't tried gilding with it, so perhaps I will give that a shot when I get a chance.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
Re: Crafting Oddities
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
There is an item that will give you martial weapon proviciency just for crafting (it has lots of negatives for combat)

Building out off the mists

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
"Should the ability to wield a hammer in combat be required for smithing?" - Yes, of course. If you can't even hold a hammer or tool properly, how can you use it effectively?

"For smelting bronze and steel, you'd think that maybe an NPC might be able to tell you about the necessary ratios.
Crafting weapons and armor with different materials yields some interesting results - maybe someone with enough lore skill should be able to pick up on this by examining the ingots?" - I disagree with this. NPC's give you the basic's of the craft, you're not their apprentice, you should find a way IC to learn about it.

"I've tried a lot of things, but can't seem to do craft anything with all my excess tin.  Lots of success with copper and bronze." - If you have made bronze then you have already found out what tin is pretty much used for.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
As modderpunk explained, there is an item that will grant characters the required feats to use any tools they need for crafting.

Though special tools are not required for mining, the proper tool will always yield more crafting resources.

For in-game explanations on some recipes or materials, it is totally by design that some give little clues as to what they produce. Players are invited to experiment and figure it out themselves, or even better yet, find a master crafter in-game to teach you the secrets of the crafts. We strongly encourage the roleplay approach, and you will find there are numerous players that will gladly give you proper lessons in game on crafting.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.