You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hell Awaits  (Read 1609 times)

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
Hell Awaits
« on: August 27, 2019, 03:06:17 AM »
Sigurd Schmutz

Sigurd is born in the Winter of 745 to Ursula, and Werner Schmutz. Ludendorf , Lamordia.
|
|
|
Age 4; Spring of 749, His father is lost a sea while on a whaling expedition.
|
|
Age 7; Summer of 753, his Widowed mother remarries to a Blausteiner named Ambroisin Clouseau.
|
Age 9; Spring of 755, Ambroisin stole anything of valuable from the Schmutz home and disappeared. Sigurd's mother later committed suicide that night. Only a few days later, the neighbors found Sigurd alone with her hanging corpse. He was brought to an Orphanage in Ludendorf.
|
|
Age 12; Sigurd is adopted by one of his father's old crew members. He's brought onto the ship as a Cabin Boy.
|
|
Age 15; Their vessel has a run in with pirates.Ambroisin Clouseau is found among the pirates, alive. Sigurd executes him personally for piracy. The ship votes, changing over from mercantile to Man-Hunting.
|
|
Age 18; Their ship docked at Port  d'Elhour, in Souragne, to take on Dementlieu prisoners. Sigurd meets his future wife, Émma DeWitt. Local woman who works as a secretary for a local tavern. He starts paying off her debts.
|
Age 20; Sigurd finishes paying off  Émma DeWitt's debts. He brings her back to Ludendorf , marrying months later in the fall.
|
|
Age 23; Sigurd and Émma leave Ludendorf , moving south of the town near Mitternatch.
|
Age 24; His wife gives birth to a baby girl. The child is named Marthe. Months later, Sigurd purchases a blood hound to keep the child company.
|
|
Age 27;  Émma, and Martha are killed by a pair strangers at the family cabin. Sigurd arrived to find the murderers waiting, and a shootout ensued. The Schmutz cabin was found weeks later, having been burned down. One of the assailants was found in the field, and the bodies of a child, a woman, and a man were found burned beyond identification. The Schmutz family is declared dead by the Constable of Mitternatch.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:14:27 PM by Salty_Soykaf »

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
Re: Hell Awaits
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:56:46 AM »

I never put much stock in my wife's beliefs of Ezra, and the loa. In fact, I believed that I had forgotten of her ramblings. Yet my time in this country, whether it be in Krofburg trading furs, or down in the valley of Vallaki. All these "Adventurers" running about, half-crazed, and wholly entitled, keep bringing up superstitions.  Why even someone from my own country has been roped into those ideas.  Although her ideas hit far too close to home.

She's a young woman, brown of hair and clearly unresolved issues with father figures. Herself and a Mentor seek knowledge of the Loa, wishing to visit my wife's lands. It was uneasy to say the least, with the memories of that night flooding back. I should of returned from the hunt early, but I had to give chase for what seemed miles on foot. I never expected to be tracked do  When I brought up what happen to you, and little Marthe, I got the usual condolences. She then brought up the idea I sacrificed that man to Tonthomba.

I spent the next few days trying to find a Souragne woman by the name of Rose. My first sight of her was before meeting the young woman, I couldn't be sure if it was you Emma. She told me of the Loa known as Tonthomba, a child of the sun she called him. Eased my mind to hear all one must appease him is took the flames of a hearth stoked. I suppose my mind can at least rest easy, feeling that all this loa nonsense is just that. Nonsense.

My mind can go to more pressing matters, like this red furred wolf.

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »
[Tucked in the journal's page is a loose parchment of trade]
This document signifies an agreement between the undersigned, SIGURD SCHMUTZ, and the HOUSE OF KROFBURG represented by Steward CONSTANTA LAZARESCU.

The following applies:
This document permits SIGURD SCHMUTZ to conduct mercantile trade in the village of krofburg.
Should SIGURD SCHMUTZ break the laws of the village, or Barovia at large, or be otherwise found unsuitable, this permit will be revoked.

The House of Krofburg and its representatives may amend or revoke this permit at any time.

Signed,
Constanta Lazarescu
Steward to Lord Dimitry Borchinsky

THE UNDERSIGNED
Sigurd Schmutz

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:40:27 PM »
Another quiet night at the Merriment, after a hard days work. It's starting to feel like that tavern you worked in, Émma. The watered down beer, "dancing" girls, and now mysticism. There's a new barkeep, a vistani blood, who does card readings. I blame the foreign tobacco, more than anything, that peeked my amusement into playing her game. 

Subject - Reversed Healer = you are a cursed man, whether with disease or illness or bad luck.
Past - Reversed Raven = You have been betrayed by someone who gave you information.
Present - Mistress of Coins = You are currently favored by someone with money.
Future - Reversed Bishop = You will have an ally in a sincere zealot, whether that is Arthur or someone who acts like him.
Outcome - Reversed Evoker = Regained sanity after a time of temptation, or madness.

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »

So it seems this sleepy little mining town isn't so sleepy. The town's leader is gone, with only a summons to their Count, the Red Vardo are planning to muscle in on merchants around Barovia, a large wolf roaming the lads and now? Another thing to hunt.

The Under stewardess has asked me to hunt for a danger in the night. One person is suspected of grave robbing, and cannibalism. Sites of their past supper have been discovered around Krofburg, and along the roads of the mountains. I don't have much to lead on, say for these sites. I've requested a map marked with their locations, as to look them over for anything. Whomever this person is, I'll do what I can to end them. I've only a few guesses of some Caravan hand, a miner, local, or even the possibility of some feral Caliban.

The sites themselves were found much like a picnic, but with raw viscera scattered about. It's rumored that those unfortunate enough to find this person, get offered to join in the meal. If they refuse, they may risk being the next meal. The Under-Stewardess said there were no tracks, and the only thing to find besides the raw flesh was candles and muddy prints of the sitting diners. Some times two seated, others just the lone Cannibal. The prints were described as deep in the mud, so there's a chance this person is wearing some old styling of armor. 

It doesn't help there's a wolf on the prowl, which can disguise the killings for those not looking too close.  I'll have to be on guard for more than one threat.

My name is Sigurd Herman Schmutz, and I will die tonight. It is the 25th time I write down these words.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:15:30 PM by Salty_Soykaf »

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
I have bore witness to the truth of things, dear wife. I wish that my eyes were not wrenched open to the truth, but there is a strange calm from it all.
My mind is still racing, just as that night two years ago. There was hope to heal in this tiny town, but it seems my bloody work will always hunt me down.
The blood in my veins, which were thawing with this life, have now frozen over like the river Black in winter. I understand that I must embrace what I've ran away from all those years. Dear wife, there is peace for once. I want you to tell little Marthe that her Papa loves her, and I love you.

My name is Sigurd Herman Schmutz, and I will die tonight. It is the 26th time I write down these words.

The Red wolf is dead, and the Gourmand is an ever growing threat.  I have gathered a rather heavy amount of paperwork on him, from various sources. Even when we've finally met, he shed some light on himself. Which was surprising, giving I expected the ambush to be over in a second. The firearms ban in Barovia is a blessing in disguise.

Harlick Syke, otherwise known as The Gourmand, is a Ghestrian man of once modest height now bent low. His features are gaunt and tight, say for where skin once held taught against fat, which hangs like a curtain over his waistline. The man has donned an old eating bib of all things, and a rusty crown adorns his head. His skills at luring the curiosity of people, booby trapping bodies, and ability to fade into the brush, tells me he's been hunting the backwoods of places for a good long while. Which begs question as to what makes a man hunger for his own kind? He confessed was gluttony due to Ghestria's bland food, once he had come to the mainland.

I've heard of men taking to eating one another in the winter, when supplies were low, but to indulge willingly out of enjoyment? He is indeed as they say, a ghoulish sort.
What's even more worrying is his companions that seem to just appear from the mists, like nightmares taking physical form. Their miasma of rot and disease is beyond paralyzing to a strong sense of smell. Even their very, get this, claws are filth ridden with every swipe they make. Who are these people, and why do they follow him? Customers.

I've allied myself with my usual affair of Arthur, a "knight" from Nidala. The local town guards, by the request of Under-stewardess of Krofburg.  There's also a new face, a one William Thatcher. The most Mordentish rover you've ever met. Along with who knows how many will flock to this towns aid, now that this Red Wolf has been killed off.

Salty_Soykaf

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:06:28 PM »

Seems I've missed a great deal in the month I've been out, and under the thumb of the Red Vardo. I've small bits of what happened in that dank cell, after being woken up. The Gundarakite woman talked on, and on, and on about I don't know what. My head felt like a lead weight had been dropped on it, and I was too weak to pull myself up. Regretting her actions, or something, after a bunch of people in Krofburg were declared traitors. So it's good to know whatever their plans were, whatever the Stewardess was going to do with the Vardo, have been stopped. Either way, it's not my problem and I'm giving up this game of coins.

My urge to hunt those that escape justice, for good or ill, have been rekindled in light of this. Yet, for now the gate of Barovia are sealed shut. I find myself in the one place I've never left docks before; Port-a-Lucine. Who's to say how long I'll be here, but I should be able to make some profit with my skills as a hired gun. Which speaking of hired gun, remember to pay back Arthur for the pistol and ammo. She's a pretty piece with a rather handy scope on it.