Author Topic: Burning any Paper Items.  (Read 2978 times)

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
Burning any Paper Items.
« on: August 21, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »
It occurs to me that we presently have pieces of paper that we can burn by throwing into camp fires - written notices and the like.  I was curious as to how feasible it was to pass this on to other objects that could fit the same parameters.

I was thinking more along the lines of any books, items made from paper, and scrolls - especially magic scrolls.  There are not a lot of instances where this would come up, but I notice that is a hope or even preference for a lot of good aligned folks to destroy such works where they find them, without having the mechanical means to do so.  Is it possible to change that?

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Burning any Paper Items.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 05:21:46 AM »
I recently waited a week to get in touch with a DM so that I could burn necromancy scrolls on my cleric and would like to see this, bonus points if it's combined with a Sleight of Hand roll to conceal the title of whatever it is we're burning so it doesn't appear in the combat log (as a new feature).
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 06:58:15 AM »
It would not be overly difficult to give the property to any given item, but to do it on them all would take a massive amount of time. We'd have to go through each items one at a time to add the "activate" property, retrieve their item tags and incorporate them in the appropriate script. We'd also have to review each and every merchant stores across the modules to give their inventory the new version of the item. We all agree it'd be nice and logical if anything flammable could burn, but even restricting ourselves to paper items, that would mean a few hundreds items to modify. The colossal amount of work required isn't worth it for so little added value.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Quartermaster

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Could the Vallaki merchant licences be added to the burn script? Since they are not in any store, there is very little work to update all instances of them. It always feels a little weird for my PC to get rid of the outdated ones in a trash barrel since they contain his name.

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Perhaps it would be more feasible to give the Flint and Steel item the ability to burn other items that are tagged as scrolls, books or paper?
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
+1 to this, I'd like to be able to burn heretical propaganda in all forms.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
This would be cool.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »
Could the Vallaki merchant licences be added to the burn script? Since they are not in any store, there is very little work to update all instances of them. It always feels a little weird for my PC to get rid of the outdated ones in a trash barrel since they contain his name.

You don't need to discard those. They remove themselves from inventory shortly after their expiration.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
Probably a 'weird' work around would be to give certain fires an inventory space where they eat anything put inside, or maybe a furnace at one of the blacksmiths with the same properties.

It seems a minor enough thing that you could probably find a work around for them already IG, emote the burning and just hide them in an obscure chest that'll de-spawn after a reset.
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »
Good ideas. I'll set it so Flint n Steel can burn books, scrolls, papers, licenses that are not flagged as plot items.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 11:25:15 PM »

Good ideas. I'll set it so Flint n Steel can burn books, scrolls, papers, licenses that are not flagged as plot items.

Absolutely rad.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:51:30 PM »
Hazzah!