You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feat Suggestions  (Read 2990 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Feat Suggestions
« on: August 15, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
Righto, so. I've been diving into the interwebs, and looking up Dnd materials. Turns out, there's a -lot- of that.

But, here are some feats that I think would make good additions to the server:

Magic Feats:

Name : Ability Enhancer
Origin : Dragon Compendium
Prerequisite : Spell Focus (Transmutation)
Description:
Any transmutation spell you cast that enhances ability scores increases the ability scores by +2 more than it normally does. For example, casting bull's strength with this feat grants the subject a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, instead of the usual +4 enhancement bonus.
Comments:
Considering how bull's strength and such works, a bonus of 1d2 might work better. Also, I would say that the prerequisite should be -Greater- Spell Focus (Transmutation).

Name : Cloudy Conjuration
Origin : Complete Mage, pg 40
Prerequisite : Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Description:
When you cast a conjuration spell, you can choose to have a 5-foot-radius cloud of sickening smoke manifest. The cloud can appear in your space, adjacent to you, or in the space of or adjacent to your target (if any). The cloud lasts for 1 round. Any living creature is sickened while inside it (but not after exiting). The cloud in all other ways acts like a small area of the fog cloud spell. Creatures immune to poison are immune to the sickening effect. The cloud appears in conjunction with the spell taking effect (not before or after). Any creature you call or summon with the spell is immune to the sickening effect of the cloud.
Comments:
This seems like an apt feat to have. A cloud which insta-dazes might be a touch powerful, though. Maybe a stinkcloud?

Name : Reach Spell
Origin : Complete divine , page 84
Prerequisite :
Description:
You may cast a spell that normally has a range of touch at any distance up to 30 feet. The spell effectively becomes a ray, so you must succeed on a ranged touch attack to bestow the spell upon the recipient. A reach spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.
Comments:
No clue if the range of a spell can be adjusted, but it does sound like it could make for new tactics.

Name : Planar Familiar
Origin : Planar Handbook, page 41
Prerequisite : Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks, Ability to acquire a new familiar, compatible alignment
Description:
When choosing a familiar, you may add the following creatures to your list of options. You may choose a familiar with an alignment up to one step away from yours on each of the alignment axes (lawful-chaotic and good-evil). Planar Familiars. Familiar ---------------- Alignment -----Level Required. Anarchic* animal(1) - Any chaotic --- 5th. Axiomatic* animal(1) -Any lawful -----5th. Celestial animal(1) --- Any good -------3rd. Elemental, Small(2) --- Neutral ----------5th. Fiendish animal(1) --- Any evil -------- 3rd. Imp(3) ------------------ Lawful evil ---- 7th. Lantern archon ------- Lawful good ---7th. Mephit ------------------ Neutral --------- 7th. Quasit ------------------ Chaotic evil ---- 7th. *New template; see Chapter 6: Creatures of the Planes. 1 Apply the anarchic, axiomatic, celestial, or fiendish template to any animal from the standard familiar list. Unlike other improved familiars, these creatures grant their masters the standard benefits for having an animal familiar of that type. 2 Air, earth, fire, or water elemental only. 3 Standard only. If you are using the Fiend Folio, you may use a filth imp instead. The improved familiar is magically linked to its master in the same way as a normal familiar. The familiar uses the basic statistics for a creature of its kind, as given in the Monster Manual or this book, except as noted below. Hit Dice: For effects that depend upon Hit Dice, use the master's character level or the familiar's normal Hit Dice total, whichever is higher. Hit Points: Use one-half the master's total or the familiar's normal total, whichever is higher. Attacks: Use the master's base attack bonus or the familiar's, whichever is better. Saving Throws: For each saving throw, use the master's base save bonus (as calculated from his character level) or the familiar's, whichever is better. Familiar Special Abilities: Use the second table in the Familiars sidebar, page 53 of the Player's Handbook, to determine additional abilities, just as you would for a normal familiar. With the exception of anarchic, axiomatic, celestial, and fi endish animals, planar familiars do not grant their masters any of the benefi ts that appear on the fi rst table in that sidebar.
Comments:
This could make for a decent combat familiar that isn't a worg, an excellent choice for summoner type casters! However, I would suggest that the backlash of it dying would need to be more severe then a regular familiar. 15d6 Magical damage, maybe?

Combat Feats:

Name : Axeshield
Origin : Underdark , page 24
Prerequisite :
Description:
When you wield a battleaxe, you can deflect some blows that would otherwise strike you. In any combat round during which you make a full attack while wielding a battleaxe, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class that lasts until your next action.
Comments:
This one seems neat simply due to the fact that it gives incentive to use battleaxes, instead of greataxes and dwarven waraxes. Maybe reduce it to a +1 bonus, though, for balance?

Name : Endure Blows
Origin : Draconomicon, p. 70
Prerequisite : Toughness , CON 19+,
Description:
You gain damage reduction 2/-. This stacks with any damage reduction you have from other sources. Damage reduction cannot reduce damage below 0.
Comments:
It's not too powerful, yet useful. And the requirements make sure that it's not just easily added to any build.

Name : Fast Healing
Origin : Draconomicon, p. 70
Prerequisite : Con 25
Description:
You gain fast healing 3, or your existing fast healing improves by 3. The benefit of this feat does not stack with fast healing granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.Comments:
I feel that this feat could simulate that notion of 'made of iron' that fighters should get. I would say that the requirements and it's effects should likely be lessened. Maybe to requiring 22+ CON and it being Fast Healing 1?

Name : Chaos Devotion
Origin :  Complete Champion, p. 56
Prerequisite :
Description:
Once per day as a swift action, you can summon the force of chaos to aid you. When you activate this ability, roll ld6. If the result is odd, add that number as a sacred (if your deity is good or neutral) or profane (if your deity is evil) bonus on your attack rolls until your next action. If the result is even, add that number as a sacred or profane bonus to your AC. At the beginning of each action thereafter, roll the die again and apply the designated bonus. This effect lasts for 1 minute. When you attain 10th level, the die you roll increases to a d8. When you attain 15th level, the die increases to a d10.

You can select this feat multiple times, gaining one additional daily use each time you take it.|||If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each three daily turn or rebuke uses you expend.
Comments:
This is something I haven't seen before. A power that gives you a random buff? Even a lesser version of this sounds great to have for those chaotically inclined.

Name : Deadly Defense
Origin : Complete Scoundrel, page 76
Prerequisite :
Description:
When fighting defensively, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with any light weapon or with any weapon to which the Weapon Finesse feat applies (such as a rapier, spiked chain, or whip). This feat's benefit applies only when you are unarmored or wearing light armor and not using a shield.
Comments:

An interesting feat to boost the damage of light weapons, but it's only applicable when using (Improved) Expertise, so not too powerful.

Name : Fists of Iron
Origin : Player's Handbook V3.5, page 99
Prerequisite : Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, BAB +2
Description:
Declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a missed attack roll ruins the attempt). You deal an extra 1d6 points of damage when you make a successful unarmed attack. Each attempt counts as one of your uses of the Stunning Fist feat for the day.
Comments:

Name : Heavy Armor Optimization
Origin : Races of Stone, page 141
Prerequisite : Armor Proficiency (heavy) , base attack bonus +4,
Description:
When you are wearing heavy armor, lessen the armor check penalty of the armor by 1 and increase the armor bonus by 1.
Comments:

This seems like an obvious choice to me, possibly already rejected? Regardless, added on here.

Name : Medium Armor Optimization
Prerequisite : Armor Proficiency (Medium) , base attack bonus +4,
Description:
When you are wearing Medium armor, lessen the armor check penalty of the armor by 1 and increase the armor bonus by 1.
Comments:

Name : Light Armor Optimization
Prerequisite : Armor Proficiency (Light) , base attack bonus +4,
Description:
When you are wearing light armor, lessen the armor check penalty of the armor by 1 and increase the armor bonus by 1.
Comments:

Name : Pain Mastery
Origin : Savage Species, page 37
Prerequisite : Toughness (PH) , CON 20,
Description:
You take damage normally, but every 50 points of damage you take (if you survive the attack) automatically increases your Strength by +2. This bonus lasts until the end of the encounter, after which you are exhausted.
Comments:

This seems perfect to synergize with Back to the Wall. And another addition to the Con-based feats, of which there aren't too many. The 50 point of damage could be translated to the character cumulatively gaining +2 STR at each stage of health : Barely Injured, Injured, Badly Wounded and Near Death.

I'll post new feats that I find as time goes on. In the meantime, feel free to comment, give feedback or even add in a feat of your own!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:43:12 PM by Ken14 »

zDark Shadowz

Re: Feat Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
Cloudy conjuration may need to make use of the pick target option or default to the target of the casters' spell.

If meta magic feats can be added in and it's not hard coded, Reach can be added in as one of those but it'd require all the spells with melee touch attacks to be adjusted to accommodate. Long range heals are nice though. Cant recall if distance for spells are in the spells.2da or if its stated in the spell script itself. If its the former there might be issues..?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:30:01 PM by zDark Shadowz »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
We actually reviewed those feats and decided against implementing caster feats since these classes are already very powerful and this would just make them even stronger.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:04:23 PM »
We actually reviewed those feats and decided against implementing caster feats since these classes are already very powerful and this would just make them even stronger.

Fair enough. Scoured for some more combat-related feats. Check them out!

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 05:44:43 AM »
The armour optimalisation feats might have some implementation issues. As it is tied heavily to the Armour system used by NWNx. So likely this would not be really possible to implement. (But is just my guess based on the previous comments and code sniplets i've seen.) Or would require an immense time to do so.

The axe shield is quite useful, allthough i am not sure i get this part:
"In any combat round during which you make a full attack while wielding a battleaxe, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class that lasts until your next action."
You use all your attacks in that turn? Or all your attacks hit? Nevertheless since shield parry already is quite useful this would have a seriously good synergy with it.

Fast Healing not sure that with the 25 con prereq it is even worth to implement since it would affect barely ANY of the characters on the server.

Endure blows hm so-so. There are some classes that already receive something similar. Would make a barbarian have quite a good DR if it stacks with the other feats. (Though Barbas already got a lot of love recently!)

Chaos devotion: It seems like a nice feat, however the last part which increases the useages based upon the Turn/rebuke undead attempt numbers is a bit too much. This basicly would mean another feat which is mostly useful to clerics or paladins, and i doubt either of these classes require further power.

Deadly Defense:
Well this would be a seriously huge boost to any Two Weapon Fighting(TWF) character. And i mean a really huge one. Basicly with just using expertise they would gain +d6 to all their attacks. For certain characters this can easily mean another extra 6d6or even more damage per turn if they hit. (Just think about a level 16 ranger going full TWF with that is 7 attacks a turn! with speed pot). With enchanted weapons and using a cats grace they already negated the malus from expertise, and would gain a lot for two feats damage wise. I find this a really powerful one. It would even benefit all TWF classes. (rogues, monks, rangers and others who think to take up TWF)

Fists of iron: cant comment as i have no real experience with the monk class. But i find it too class specific.

Pain Mastery: I would say this is a feat that would likely benefit a very low number of characters so would not be that high on implementation list. And likely again the class that would benefit the most would be the Barb class.
Basicly having this feat and the rage feats on level 11 they could easily gain the +10/+12 to their STR bonus and even more.
And since these come from feats, i think they might not even COUNT toward the ability cap bonus cap.
A level 12 Barb easily can have over 160 hp, so with a bit of careful planning and luck they can gain +16 str from feats and since they already get exhausted after using rage, the exhaust malus would also not affect them for a long while. Whereas this seems to be a con feat, with the lack of ability giving items, i would say this can be considered a pure BARB feat on the server.
Also a feat that can be abused quite hard. Since all you need to do is just either accumulate enough damage to pass 50 (while regenerating) or you can just switch back and forth between injured and slightly injured, or uninjured and slightly injured. Gaining immense number of STR.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:50:14 AM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »
To be honest, most of those were also evaluated and rejected in the past. We've been thoroughly scouring d20 sources ourselves for a long time now. It is quite likely that you are consulting the same sources we have access to. In the case of combat related feats, the issue is still that most of the combat system is hard-coded. We can't implement those  feats without resorting to convoluted bug-prone and server resources hogging ways that are best left out. Should Beamdog removes some more restrictions we will certainly reconsider our options though.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
To be honest, most of those were also evaluated and rejected in the past. We've been thoroughly scouring d20 sources ourselves for a long time now. It is quite likely that you are consulting the same sources we have access to. In the case of combat related feats, the issue is still that most of the combat system is hard-coded. We can't implement those  feats without resorting to convoluted bug-prone and server resources hogging ways that are best left out. Should Beamdog removes some more restrictions we will certainly reconsider our options though.

Noted! Actually, wouldn't it be a decent idea to create a list-post where the developers can put up the feats that they've already considered and rejected? That way, if someone ( like myself) gets the idea of suggesting feats, they would be able to check if it hadn't been asked before?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »
As a general comment, I think we have plenty of feats to choose from currently. If more feats are added, I would like them to come with RP justifications, rather than be purely additional buffs. The latter I think tend to evermore min-maxing. To give an example, "Ability Enhancer," the name alone sounds so OOC and lacking in any supportive lore. The prerequisite would be greater spell focus in transmutation, gating it to a pretty specific build. This setup lends itself to seeming unbalanced to those who don't have the build versus those who do, because those who do think (perhaps rightly) that they have invested considerably to have that big payoff.

I'm not saying this particular feat is unbalanced because I don't know. What I'm saying is that such niche feats as a rule can be harder to balance because the imbalance is not always apparent until players have fine-tuned their builds around them and by then willingness and flexibility about modifying them is less.

Similarly a feat that needs a 25 Con or even 22.

One reason I dislike Shrouded Dance so much is that, despite the name, it doesn't have much in the lore explanation of why or how it works . The Shadow Dancer class has a considerable RP element, but Shrouded Dance is  "character can seem to be where he isn't." Why? Why is this limited to only once per day? I assume it's some kind of dance. Then why can't it be done at any time? Why is it possible to do it while in the middle of combat? If it's a dance, why is it a quick action? Shouldn't a dance take some time to begin fooling onlookers? Why can't everyone with 12 ranks in hide and 5 in perform do it?

None of the feat as implemented has any RP element implied but is all purely mechanical. When considering new feats, I hope Devs keep the RP nature of the server in mind.

I'm not familiar with the Story Feats in Pathfinder, but another player was describing them to me, and they sound pretty nice :)

Implementing them on a persistent world would require much more thought than I've put into them in the short time since hearing about them, but perhaps they might spark someone else's creativity.

Example: Nemesis

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 03:58:31 PM »

None of the feat as implemented has any RP element implied but is all purely mechanical. When considering new feats, I hope Devs keep the RP nature of the server in mind.

Aren't most feats purely mechanical? Aside from a few feats like Warding Gestures, whatever RP Element you get from feats is the ones the player decides to derive from it. And even then, I can see the feats mentioned having RP elements. For example : Endure Blows could very well have been something cultivated from a lifetime of abuse from a parental figure.

The Story feats sound nice, but they seem like something that'd need to be handled with the DM's, instead of being selectable during levelups.

Speaking of RP-inspired feats, I did read about the range of Willing Deformity Feats from Heroes of Horrors.

Not all of them could work, surely, but feats that mutilate a character for power? That sounds perfect for our evil friends. Heck, give the person an OCR penalty for each feat he possesses of that line.  But I suspect they've already been considered and deemed too difficult to balance in itself.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »

Aren't most feats purely mechanical? Aside from a few feats like Warding Gestures

Warding gesture is a seriously good feat. Not just RP wise but mechanically too. I played a cleric and saved more folks with this single feat than with healing.(And my char was a healer buffer!)
Because around level 7 you can already have its DC up well over the twenties mid twenties, meaning it will be a very good tool vs undead/shapeshifters ...etc.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant