Author Topic: Spell Suggestion : Summon Monster 7 - 9  (Read 929 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Spell Suggestion : Summon Monster 7 - 9
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »
As per my previous post on this section: I do like summoner types.

But a big thing that prevents high-level conjurer type play (in my opinion) is that from tier 7 on, you solely call up elementals. Which, as we know, tends to backfire spectacularly.

So, I was thinking : Why couldn't we implement the spells Summon Monster 7 to 9 (Or 1 to 9, but that might be a bit too much)? It would give us an alternative to greater Planar Binding as the end-all, be-all conjuration spell. Sure, not all the creatures can be called forth per the sourcebooks, but three choices for each spell level could work.

For example ( Dnd Tools was used for this, which seems to reference sourcebooks):

7th Level:
Djinni (genie)
Invisible stalker
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Huge

8th Level
Fiendish dire tiger
Fiendish monstrous spider, Gargantuan
Celestial dire bear

9th Level:
Bebilith (demon)
Night hag
Celestial roc

However, Summon Monster should not be made available to druids.

So, thoughts?

Hallvor Hadiya

• Undead Master
Re: Spell Suggestion : Summon Monster 7 - 9
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:40:29 AM »
It would be nice not to be restricted by alignment in regards to Planar Summon, as that has never been the case by lore or intent. POTM contemporaries use a similar system called streams, books that once activated allow the individuals to switch between summon trees I.E one for demons, devils, Yugoloths, Slaad, Archons whether that would be explored that thoroughly would be another matter. I'd personally like to see more options explored as I think it could open up some interesting role-play opportunities. Choice is good.

But I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, and I'm sure its not on the top priority list.
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Spell Suggestion : Summon Monster 7 - 9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
At the same time remember that on Ravenloft all summons are supposed to turn on the caster once the spell duration has ended, because planar creatures would not normally return to their plane of origin.

Once/If Beamdog comes around to making it possible with the game engine we will consider adding more options. Until then you still have it easier than setting rules would normally allow.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.