You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Vallaki NPCs - Inconsistent OCR Reactions  (Read 3265 times)

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Vallaki NPCs - Inconsistent OCR Reactions
« on: August 06, 2019, 03:33:49 AM »
Where:
Vallaki with several cases confirmed; have yet to test other Barovian towns.

When:
Having an OCR of low-moderate level while being on a Half-Orc subrace character. Occurs only with specific NPCs, which are listed below with attached images as proof. At time of writing the character in question has an innate OCR of 12, down to 10 with items. Tested with both items on and off.

What:
Causes odd reactions in certain NPCs; in shop merchants you are unable to access their inventory, in random peasants they may flee. In the specific case of the Bounty NPC, Serghei Grasu, he comes hostile to you.

Recreate:
Play any Half-Orc subrace character and lower your OCR significantly to at least 12, if not more.

Ideas:

I am working off the assumption that it is in fact the Half-Orc subrace causing this reaction; I have no other characters of this subrace with a sufficiently low OCR to confirm it isn't just a one-off issue on this character.

After testing at the behest of DM Deceit I've collated a list of some NPCs within Vallaki that react unreasonably to my character's OCR rating;

For reference; the local regular Garda NPCs and every single other NPC I've interacted with did not react in this manner; I am capable of storing gold within the banks, using the warehouses to store items or take on deliveries and shop at every other merchant NPC I could find. Being Winter however I was unable to check the Ferrymaster which is also a notable NPC that could have this inconsistency issue. Presumably at some point in the past certain NPCs were set to exclusively react in this way when interacted with by certain subraces, instead of using the OCR system as the basis for this.

At some point in the past this may have been working as intended but being that the age of Half-Orc Phenotypes automatically meaning Caliban status to the Barovian people is at an end due to the implementation of the height system, in addition to certain player characters accruing sufficient renown to set aside any presumptions of being exceptionally freakish compared to other characters, means that these specific NPCs should probably be brought in line to work with the OCR system as all other examples do.

Spoiler: show
Bonus Round:

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Vallaki NPCs - Inconsistent OCR Reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
We will double check the settings. Though do keep in mind that a low OCR is no guarantee you'll be accepted everywhere. Some NPCs are prejudiced againt some other races regardless of one OCR's rating . As a half-orc no less you definitively should not expect to.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
Considering that my character has worked hard to become at least tolerated within Vallaki's bound and has at least somewhat succeeded in the sense that he can conduct business at the banks or keep residency at the Blue Water Inn, I think at this point it's not a case of prejudice so much as old code inconsistency.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »
I kind of agree with Grendel about this. It seems to me the point of the OCR system (which generates a fair number of problems and bugs) is to provide a default behavior for NPCs, rather than Devs having to spend the time scripting the reaction of each NPC. Moreover, if OCR doesn't behave as "advertised" (such as when a player invests skill points in Influence), then how are we to know when something is broken and when it is intentional?

Finally, this is especially important for significant PCs, such as those who pay quest rewards. Picking those to ignore OCR seems capricious and arbitrary.

For NPCs to ignore OCR and actions the player has taken to lower it undermines the mantra of the server that "actions have consequences."

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 02:16:49 AM »
One addition to the list of NPCs that suffer from this OCR inconsistency, this one being in Krezk Outpost.

Quartermaster

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
How is it that Grendel's half orc Caliban can get delivery jobs from Gabriel in the wear house and my dwarf is never given the option?

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »
OCR. Skalgrim can drop as low as OCR 7 last I checked and usually sits around 11-10. That's the only component that determines it as near as I can tell, unless they racially scripted to always exclude Dwarves but allow Half Orcs with low OCR, which would be weird.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »
I've seen many a dwarf pick up delivery jobs from the warehouse and all its destinations. The recent OCR bug did stop a few of them from participating in that however.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
How is it that Grendel's half orc Caliban can get delivery jobs from Gabriel in the wear house and my dwarf is never given the option?
I -think- you don't get offered delivery jobs if your OCR is above a certain threshold, 14 or 15 maybe. Even that's below hostility, that's pretty close. Dwarves already get a small OCR penalty and that only increases if you have negative charisma modifier.

Carmen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
I think the OCR breakpoint for deliveries is 12, but it's been a while since I've run into it.

Jmp1nJakFlash

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 05:30:28 PM »
Where:
temple adjacent to Lady's Rest and Vallaki City

When:
at every encounter since I logged on this morning

What:
all the temple priests and ox in the Vallaki slums are trying to kill me; they even chase me throughout the city; currently (1400hrs, PST) Horatiu is in the slums near the western gate and one of the light bringers is somewhere in the city looking for me; the priestess and a lone light bringer are left to provide services at the temple; 

Recreate:
? be born under a bad sign?  I did recently level up and had to choose a nature deity so maybe it's a religious thing

Ideas:
I just started playing NWN after Christmas last year, and only recently discovered the POTM roleplay server.  I'm not a fervent gamer, but I did love DnD in the 90s and this game is awesome!.  I've tried to unhostile them, but apparently that can only be done for other PCs not NPCs. 
-juan

"Stay positive & love your life" (311).

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 05:55:46 PM »
Where:
temple adjacent to Lady's Rest and Vallaki City

When:
at every encounter since I logged on this morning

What:
all the temple priests and ox in the Vallaki slums are trying to kill me; they even chase me throughout the city; currently (1400hrs, PST) Horatiu is in the slums near the western gate and one of the light bringers is somewhere in the city looking for me; the priestess and a lone light bringer are left to provide services at the temple; 

Recreate:
? be born under a bad sign?  I did recently level up and had to choose a nature deity so maybe it's a religious thing

Ideas:
I just started playing NWN after Christmas last year, and only recently discovered the POTM roleplay server.  I'm not a fervent gamer, but I did love DnD in the 90s and this game is awesome!.  I've tried to unhostile them, but apparently that can only be done for other PCs not NPCs.

As this is an unrelated and new issue, could you make a seperate topic for it to avoid confusion please? Thanks.