You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Variable MPC application.  (Read 5077 times)

Garrund

• New to the Mists
Variable MPC application.
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:02:49 AM »
I was thinking after reading the thread regarding new systems and features and I got an idea, I am not sure if it is bad or good, but since it might be good I will expose it around here and let you guys decide (I didn't answer in the thread because this would be a rules thing more than a system or feature thing).

I would suggest the "Variable MPC application".

As it is known, most AMPCs find a severe game over whenever they get killed. This haves the consequence that the MPCs that usually stick are those who have a way to scape if things go south, mainly, Vampires and Wererats from the top of my head.

Maybe taking this fact into account and letting those who select less survivable MPCs create various monsters (Like 3 or so) would make the monsters we see terrorizing people variate more and make the nights more oppresive, since in some way this would increase the ammount of MPCs present on the setting and in my experience they are one of the elements that provide more RP in a self-regulating way.

Another way of implementing this would be to allow to make one main MPC and two minor ones. (A classification would be needed) The important part of the application would be major one, and then the minor ones might be of a lower level or a lower survivability.

Since a lot of people when do their applications to MPCs dont want to make one that they will easily lose, this might give them the courage to do one that they wont lose and try some new or different things on the sidelines.

Maybe it is too much or I am overseeing something, but I thought it could be interesting.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:14:28 AM by Garrund »

Sammylix

• Undead Slayer
Re: Variable MPC application.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
Are you not allowed to have both an MPC and an AMPC? I feel like this somewhat addresses your concerns. To continue, I feel someone having three monster characters, even if two are minor, defeats the purpose. You originally sign up knowing it could end abruptly, and thus you have enhanced powers. That's just my take on it though.
Currently Playing:

Rhyo Morgana
Patience Reade
Azariah Aselve'lin

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Not sure what this post means at all tbqh.  If your AMPC dies, apply for another one.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
I was thinking after reading the thread regarding new systems and features and I got an idea, I am not sure if it is bad or good, but since it might be good I will expose it around here and let you guys decide (I didn't answer in the thread because this would be a rules thing more than a system or feature thing).

I would suggest the "Variable MPC application".

As it is known, most AMPCs find a severe game over whenever they get killed. This haves the consequence that the MPCs that usually stick are those who have a way to scape if things go south, mainly, Vampires and Wererats from the top of my head.

Maybe taking this fact into account and letting those who select less survivable MPCs create various monsters (Like 3 or so) would make the monsters we see terrorizing people variate more and make the nights more oppresive, since in some way this would increase the ammount of MPCs present on the setting and in my experience they are one of the elements that provide more RP in a self-regulating way.

Another way of implementing this would be to allow to make one main MPC and two minor ones. (A classification would be needed) The important part of the application would be major one, and then the minor ones might be of a lower level or a lower survivability.

Since a lot of people when do their applications to MPCs dont want to make one that they will easily lose, this might give them the courage to do one that they wont lose and try some new or different things on the sidelines.

Maybe it is too much or I am overseeing something, but I thought it could be interesting.

I think I see what you're trying to suggest, but that would be considered storycrossing. Even if you had three monsterous characters, they couldn't exist in the same area, or have any sort of influence on the story of the other two in any way, shape, or form. Whenever your current aMPC/MPC dies, you can however just apply for another and keep the fun going.

Sammylix

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
Not sure what this post means at all tbqh.  If your AMPC dies, apply for another one.

Yeah, I also was in the boat of not fully understanding what they meant. I'd assumed they wanted multiple MPCs, which wouldn't fly unless they had both an aMPC and MPC.
Currently Playing:

Rhyo Morgana
Patience Reade
Azariah Aselve'lin

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
I like this suggestion. Player driven monsters are to me, the highlight of this server; but I wish there was a lot more of them, and some of them were minor and not so much a main event for the server at larger. I’d love to see different MPCs all the time in different places. And if that means one fellow has 3 sitting in his vault to choose from and can therefore pop in with whichever monster he likes depending on whose on and where they are, that would be great. Having a wide range of baddies and giving a wider range of characters the chance to defeat a MPC is huge to me. Having been one of those who got to close Vashan (the player) was absolutely the highlight of my experience here but it took me until level 15 to get that satisfaction. I’d love to have been able to put a few notches on Hypatia’s monster-hunter belt by now. More and varied MPCs would help by giving those who want to use hem more options and making them happier to loose one for the good of the playerbass.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
If your MPC goes down quickly you can just apply for another.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Sammylix

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
If your MPC goes down quickly you can just apply for another.

Yep. Which is quite nice, because like Hypatia said I feel MPCs are a main force of the server.
Currently Playing:

Rhyo Morgana
Patience Reade
Azariah Aselve'lin

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Yes but how long does the application take? I think it would be cool to be able to have a few at once to keep a steady stream of MPCs and make them a bit more throw-away. But maybe not? Maybe they’d get too redundant though I think as long as the minor ones were simple like goblins or ghouls and weren’t mean to last a long time, it could really spice things up.

Sammylix

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
Yes but how long does the application take? I think it would be cool to be able to have a few at once to keep a steady stream of MPCs and make them a bit more throw-away. But maybe not? Maybe they’d get too redundant though I think as long as the minor ones were simple like goblins or ghouls and weren’t mean to last a long time, it could really spice things up.

Maybe up to a week or so? It's my understanding that MPC and AMPC apps take less time than remake applications, so depending on when you send it and your MPC history it'd vary.
Currently Playing:

Rhyo Morgana
Patience Reade
Azariah Aselve'lin

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »
Most (A)MPC applications are reviewed for a period of five to ten days.  The goal is to provide a response to the applicant before ten days while still allowing the DM team to sufficiently discuss and evaluate the application. I think we all can agree that (A)MPCs should positively contribute to the atmosphere and setting and provide compelling narratives to those that interact with them.  Part of that entails having a carefully considered and fully formed concept, story, and clear demonstration of the understanding of the monstrous template.

It is far more preferable to have quality over sheer quantity in my opinion.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
Agreed. I also think that, while the desire to get players to try out less evasive-capable, more risk-taking AMPCs is admirable, it might also reinforce the idea that it's okay to zero-RP gank an AMPC...that red equals dead. After all, the player whose (AM)PC you just get killed can go apply for another.

Disposable AMPCs would not make the server more horrifying but make AMPCs seem more like spawns.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »
What I have seen work is a couple of players get AMPCs together.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
What I have seen work is a couple of players get AMPCs together.

And against each other in the same storyline. One of my fond AMPC moments was when I made an Old Barovian Soldier from the wars against the Neureni (Dread Revenant), and a friend of mine made a Neureni Mummy. They both relived their old war centuries later, each trying to convince the outlanders to fight for their respective sides.
Not all who wander are lost.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
Group monsters can be really neat. I think that you can have an AMPC and MPC at the same time, but could be wrong. I would love to see more on the server, but I think a big thing that keeps people from applying is the fear of the red=dead. These are creatures that are supposed to add to the setting, the dread, the fear. Making them disposable would cheapen their ability to affect the server, and probably make even fewer people apply. I think the best advice is, if you think we need more, come up with an idea and submit it. Worst case you get told no and you can ask what caused the no and what you can improve on. Best case you get to terrify characters
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
I don’t know. While I like a good RPed villain when we’re talking vampires, I remember a skull faced monster with a red sword in the crypts one time and he was super fun. Just from a PvP standpoint. He wasn’t OP but he was sneaky and dangerous and it was just a more interesting danger than the spawns. Sometimes it’s nice to just have smarter, tougher enemies. But I think people are right that you don’t want too much, but a lot of players never even get to see MPCs. They’re just too few and far between. The red = dead is more noober players than anything.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
I think there's something to "Variable MPC application", or pack app. I do not think story need die on the altar of visibility. It would require tuning and a decent guide but it could work as an idea or title that can be past onto another MPC, a sort of lives system. For example a Ghoul called "Red Cap Bill, he has died many times. But he's back, no matter how many adventurers claim to have done him in the back old Red Cap comes a ratta-tat-tat back", but the MPC did die he got unlucky and got squashed by a high lvl visiting Vallaki, but that's not a problem cause the pack he was apart of took up his identity and title.

That's just one example of something like a pack app; an overarching idea or identity that marks them out that they as a line of MPCs can work under, of course there will be a limit cause the pack is only so large and like all MPCs a limit until this pack moves on or is wiped out. There are few bad ideas, just ones that require the right questions and answers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:28:06 PM by Hallvor Hadiya »
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »
There are few bad ideas, just ones that require the right questions and answers.

The right question in this case is, "Instead of one player trying to play multiple AMPCs, wouldn't it be better to have each AMPC played individually yet collaboratively?"

And the answer is "Yes."

:)

Garrund

• New to the Mists
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »

I don’t know. While I like a good RPed villain when we’re talking vampires, I remember a skull faced monster with a red sword in the crypts one time and he was super fun. Just from a PvP standpoint. He wasn’t OP but he was sneaky and dangerous and it was just a more interesting danger than the spawns. Sometimes it’s nice to just have smarter, tougher enemies. But I think people are right that you don’t want too much, but a lot of players never even get to see MPCs. They’re just too few and far between. The red = dead is more noober players than anything.

I am sorry if I didnt explain myself properly, I am not english native. But what Hypathia says here is why I did the suggestion. I too think the MPCs are one of the best tools of the server on RP and I believe that having them not wait weeks to have another one would be great to mantain the dynamism. It is also a matter of having intelligent monsters trying to get the best out of us, I really appreciate for example the fact that the Red Wolf can attack at any time, but this only happens on some time periods, and would be great if it was a constant situation.

Quote from: DM Brimstone
Most (A)MPC applications are reviewed for a period of five to ten days.  The goal is to provide a response to the applicant before ten days while still allowing the DM team to sufficiently discuss and evaluate the application. I think we all can agree that (A)MPCs should positively contribute to the atmosphere and setting and provide compelling narratives to those that interact with them.  Part of that entails having a carefully considered and fully formed concept, story, and clear demonstration of the understanding of the monstrous template.

It is far more preferable to have quality over sheer quantity in my opinion.

I totally agree in the case that it is indeed important to have narratives and stories well prepared, but it could be interesting to create maybe a "lower application requirement MPC" or something for monsters or threats not as powerfull as vampires but that can too give trouble to the players and reinforce the dynamics of the server in wich one is supposed to be never totally safe. I do not think there is a true need for a extensive and great story for a kobold or goblin thief or assassin.  Even the amount of them could be controlled or even might be the case that they could serve the higher MPCs... I do not know as I said if this Idea is a good one, I just wanted to point it out since I thought of it and believed it could be interesting to discuss it.

Maybe it could be a permit granted to someone that already has proven that can handle a few MPCs and could be granted like a few of them of a lower level or race.

Styngraven

• New to the Mists
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
I honestly agree with you that atleast something needs to be changed about mpc rules. I personally don't want to play an Ampc or Mpc because of the time limit restrictions and having to follow a certain story or style of play. I think some people don't want to run the risk of getting their character killed and even if they aren't then you get them taken away after a few months. I remember there being plenty of monster players before they made that change, it is honestly just safer to play a villain since they have less RP restrictions and no high level monster hunts.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:58:12 PM by Styngraven »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 02:23:40 PM »
Playing a monstrous character isn't for everyone. In the case of an AMPC, you come into it knowing that you are creating something mostly for the benefit and enjoyment of others--to add to the server's setting.

As far as an MPC, presumably your PC has already had a nice run, and you're thinking about how to wind the story up. Six months should be ample time for that. But if not, you can always ask the DMs for an extension. Your PC isn't being "taken away": it's what you signed up for by applying.

If you don't want a "monster hunt," then you probably shouldn't play a monster :D