You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Diary of Evrenos Gazi - Janissary of Sultan Mehmed II  (Read 779 times)

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
Diary of Evrenos Gazi - Janissary of Sultan Mehmed II
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
Spoiler: show

26th Day of Rebiü'l-Evvel, in the year of 857 / Konstantiniyye
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Today we’ve arrived to the siege. Sultan ordered to settle his “Otağ-ı Hümayun” close to the city. It seems Megas Doux Loukas Notaras prepared well. I can also spot Genoese flag. It means that Romans still have a treasury to afford mercaneries. The walls look solid but with Allah’s blessing upon us, no one can stand against our righteous claim on the promised land. The Eternal City will be ours as it’s foretold by the Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him). Şahi – the biggest cannon ever made in the world – is ready to fire. By dawn, after the morning prayer, we will start the bombardment. Allah is with us.

20th Day of Cemaziye'l-Evvel, in the year of 857 / Konstantiniyye

It’s been more than 50 days. Romans are still holding up. We’ve been constantly bombarding the Walls of Theodosius day and night. We’ve launched attacks after attacks to the walls. Hundreds of our men slained by these filthy infidels. But it is clear that they’ve lost their spirit to fight. They believe Virgin Mother, Maryam, is protecting the City. This might have been true in earlier but not anymore. I witnessed by my own eyes that a spirit lifted from the dome of the Hagia Sophia and left the City unguarded. We’ve seen that the Red Star is passing in the sky. “Ulema” told this is a good omen. It means Allah’s favor is upon us. They say that Star only comes once in a life time. What a day to be alive! Today also is Friday. The most holy day of the week. When Sultan orders the attack today, I am quite sure, -if Allah allows it- we will be victorius. I will join the attack on Adrianople Gate. All the omens are in our favor. Except those mist that has been around since yesterday night. Ya Allah Bismillah.

???? Day of ???? in the year of ???? / ?????

My head hurts. It hurts like it has been hit by a cannon. Not by a regular cannon, but by very "Şahi" itself. It’s been almost half a day since I’ve woke up in this forest with only a sword in my hand and shield by my body. I am quite sure the battleground is far away because I can’t hear the warcries of my brothers in faith or trembling sound of the cannon fires. And I see no Red Star in the Sky. I must have been carried around. The last thing I remember is, we were charging to the walls and the mist was even thicker than the before. Suddenly I felt like the ground has been taken under my foot. Then I woke up in this place. First I thought The Genoese found me and took to their colony in Galata. But I see no Genoese around. I wandered around the forest and saw there are some Gypsies around. Tried to communicate them but it seems they don’t understand Turkish at all. Fortunately for me, there still are some bread on me to eat and there is a river close by that I can drink from. I will stay and hide in the forest for a few day just in case of a Roman ambush. May Allah protects and watches over me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:36:23 PM by Delita »

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
Re: Diary of Evrenos Gazi - Janissary of Sultan Mehmed II
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »

I’ve been hiding in the woods for a couple of days. I silently and hidden watch the people. Realized that they’re not Romans and it is safe to trade with the Gypsies. The people around this are look quite “different” I still can not recognize if they’re Frenk or Cermen. In either case, it is obvious and clear thay they’re not Muslims. This must not be a Muslim land. So I should better be careful for a little more. When I had the chance, I will try to communicate. Thanks to Allah, I still have small amount of Akçe on me, so I can bribe them to talk. The forest has small mammals can I can catch an eat. I think I’ve even seen a Deer running yesterday. If things goes wrong, I might even think to eat non-halal things, but I don’t believe it will come to that, İnşallah -If Allah wills it-

It’s been days since I last write here. I’ve learned a lot of things that was hard to comprehend at first., I am sure this is not a place in Balkans. I’ve learned, that I’m not even in Arz-ı Alem -Earth anymore. Nor I am dead. This place is not Cennet -Heaven nor Cehennem -Hell. First, I thought I’ve been come to lands of the Djinns. The land of Gogs and Magogs. But later I realized that isn’t the case. It seems, the land I’ve dragged in, called Barovia. The City I found myself near is called Vallaki and the Pasha who rules over these land is called Strahd Von Zarovich. In days I am trying to learn their language and customs, just to not take unwanted attention.

I’ve learned that these pointy eared, relatively short folk are not Djinns nor Chinese. They’re something different called Elf. Also, these Man-Childs and Babies with Beards are not gogs or magogs. They’re Dwarves and Hins. I’ve learned it in a hard way. They beat me with their fist in front of the church -Not a Christian church, they believe some sorfe ot Sun God, those heretics- and put me to the sleep with some dust. When I woke up they grappled me altogether. I thought I was dying because there were nothing to stop them at that point, killing me. They did not. They told me they bear no illness or ill wishes. Allah knows, I haven’t believed first. Thought they were playing with me like cat plays with mice. But later realized, they were true to their words. This land is full of different people. I’ve even heard Christians are in here. Never had a chance to meet those infidels. Yet.

May Allah give me strength to endure and comprehend all these madness. I need to turn back inside and be less agressive. Like Sufis. The one must not forget the path he has to follow, no matter how hard the circumstances are. As long as I can breath, hold on to my weapon and had a chance to live, I should do as I’ve been taught.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:24:55 AM by Delita »

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:57:47 AM »

It’s been more than two weeks I’ve woken by the Vistani Camp in Barovia. It’s been more than two weeks these mysterious Mists took me and stole me from my lands, my home. On the other hand, it feels a little bir ironic... Since what I’ve called “home” was not my original home at the start, wasn’t it?

Days are passing and they turn into years. Years are passing and they turn into decades. I can barely remember my family. My first home back in my childhood. The faces of father and mother are long gone from my memory. I don’t remember calling them my family and even the word “family” sounds alien to me. There was “Ocak”. There were Janisarry Agas. There were brothers in arms. Instead of a family, I had them.

Sometimes I even think, am I “stolen” from that Romanian village?

But in the end, I’ve found the way of Islam and grown up as a Muslim. This must not be a bad luck but a gift. I am chosen by Devlet-i Aliyye-i Osmaniyye and they showed me the right way.

In Holy Qur’an, Allah says: “Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not.
I am a Janissarry. I serve Sultan. I serve Islam. I am a sword of righteousness and I am the nightmare of all kafirs.

May Allah protects me and shows me the way.

I’ve met new friends. Good willed people they are. I am teaching them to ways of Islam. They seem eager to learn it. Some of them already started saying Selamunaleykum when they see me. They tend not to get drunk in my sight. But that’s not all.

I’ve also met Christians in here. Some Frenks. North of the Vilayet-i Fransa. When I first see them, I prepared myself. Since I know their games, their schemes and they silver tongue and backstabbings. Those kafirs are never to be trusted and must be stopped. -So I’ve been told.

But... None of this happened. The Christian women and man were kind. Allah knows, I had doubts until the last moment but they clearly stated they’re not up for any kind of fighting. And yet, I was one to three against them. I believe if they had the thought, they would’ve attacked me on that spot. I believed them and watched from afar after we had our discussion. They had nothing suspicious on them and they were trying to help another “newly misted”.

Later that day on my way to Dvergeheim, I’ve met the same Christian man I’ve seen earlier. He was wounded. Gravely wounded and he was carrying a huge sack behind his back. Perhaps a body of a fallen comrade. My sword was already unsheated and readied before I met him. I stopped him on the way. Theree were no-one around. No one but my Üstat Kyou. I shall write about her later when I had the chance.

I told the Christian man, he is gravely wounded, unable to fight back and there are no others to help him. And then asked, “What would he do, if I were in the same siutation as him.” The answer was brief, without a second thought: “I would protect you.”. I looked deep into his eyes, realized  the words were nothing but the truth. Then I gave my only potion to him. Cured his wounds and used my the most valuable potion to make him go haste before the sun falls. He thanked me and moved on.

I wasn’t even waiting for a thank. I doubt I will ever see him again. But in the end, on that day, I acted as a true Muslim. In Holy Qur’an, Allah says “Whosoever killeth a human being for other than man slaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if be had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had: saved the life of all mankind.”

I saved that Christian’s life that day.

May Allah shows mercy on his misguided soul.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:48:19 PM by Delita »

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

Today I want to talk about Üstat Kyou. On my last entry, I’ve mentioned her name but since she has earned my respect I just didn’t want to merely mention her name and skip the subject. I believe this woman (May Allah forgives me if I am doing anything wrong) had changed my life.

I’ve met Master Kyou in a windy winter afternoon. I was introducing myself to some one and I used the term “sword master” to refer myself, to make it more clearer to understand what I am. People in this land, have no idea about Sultan, Islam or Janissaries at all. Using simple terms like that, helps them to comprehend the reality which I am coming from. But that time, it was me, who lacked ability to comprehend the reality... I had no idea about being a master of the sword or yet, swordsmanship at all. Until I met Üstat Kyou.

She jumped in to conversation. I wasn’t aware that she was luring me into a topic she is highly skilled at. I followed her. Both figuratively and literally. After our little talk, she wanted to see my skills with the blade. I showed her what I had.

It was after that moment she realized her true identity: A Swordmaster from a foreign land. A kensai. A wandering warrior. A warrior who bears the legacy and the burden of her past. A dervish on her own term.

This is how I met her.

May Allah gives her a long life.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:51:55 PM by Delita »

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »

I’ve been training. I’ve been training like I’ve never trained before. After I saw what a true master of the sword is capable of, I wanted to become one. A sword is only strong as the arm that wields it and the arm is only precise as the mind directs it. A true swordsmanship requires your both body and the mind to be clean. Allah orders us to cleanse our both body and mind and refrain ourselves from all kinds of harams.
I started Oruç. I will do fasting from dawn to dusk, until I improve my mastery over the sword. I will eat less, talk less, focus on my inner self, just like the Sufi Dervishes back in my home.

The term, Dervish, surprisingly is well known in this world, but obviously it is a bit misplaced. Dervishes are the isolationist men who mastered their inner self and became truly something else. Their goal is to reach “Vahdet-i Vücut” which means, to overcome the body and be one with Allah themself. And yet, Dervishes are quite skilled warriors. They are permitted to carry weapons of their own and most of them prefer to carry “teber”. A small axe that can be useful both in defending and attacking. Back in home, I had doubts in their ways. Now I understand, now I can see.

In this strange word, I also feel isolated. I feel surrounded by either enemies or people who are being agressive or mean to me. My only saviour is Allah and Holy Qur’an. I need to feel “complete” when I am alone and these are the only things I can whole-heartedly trust. Thus I decided to become a Sufî. A Dervish. To keep myself sane, to keep my faith healthy and to find courage and reason to wake up every single day and continue fighting, I need to become something more than just a Janissarry. After all, what is a Janissary without Sultan? I need to be keep both my body and my mind clean, uncorrupted and sharp as they have never been.

I know the path I decided to follow. With someone like Üstat Kyou, and guidance of Allah and holy Qur’an, I only need to endure the obstacles of mind and the body until I master the sword. I am still a sword of Islam. I still carry the banner of Islam. I must be a role model for the others that may come after me. I must create a legacy. If someone in future, when I die, finds and reads this journal, I want them to understand me, and maybe even mor:, I want them to feel that I also have been through the same things they are enduring. They’re not alone, neither am I. Allah is with me and will be with them.

May Allah helps me to follow the path I’ve chosen to walk.