You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Village of Barovia gate doesn't lock at night  (Read 2243 times)

Troukk

• Dark Power
Village of Barovia gate doesn't lock at night
« on: July 25, 2019, 11:30:41 AM »
Name: Village of Barovia gate doesn't lock at night

Where: Barovia - Village of Barovia - Western Outskirts

When: At night

What: When night falls, the gate is not locked, even though the guard has been programmed with the script to let people out, when he shuts it down again, it does not lock.

Recreate: It happens every IC night.

Ideas: I have a feeling this may be intended, since the VoB doesn't have any alternative entrances. However, if it is truly a bug, I'd check out the guard in Wachter Outpost, he can lock the door there just fine.
Not all who wander are lost.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Village of Barovia gate doesn't lock at night
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
Related bug:

I am posting about the bugged Zeklos and Krezk gates and doors again since the bug has been persisting for the past couple months and it makes these areas far less appealing.

The doors

Expected behaviour: You can freely enter businesses in these towns at night because there are often designated night shift workers who go on duty when the doors lock.
Bug in question: The doors are locked, but pickable. You can freely enter, talk to the specifically designated night shift worker, and continue your crafts while it is night time.
Steps to reproduce: Wait for nightfall. Pick the lock to any business in Zeklos or Krezk (DC 28 or so, you are never in line-of-sight of a guard). Freely do business.

The gates

Expected behaviour: The gate is locked at night, but with a brief conversation, the guard lets you in or out.
Bug in question: At around 4 AM in-game time, or maybe 5 AM, the guard won't let you out of Zeklos or Krezk, even if he would let you in or out at any other time of night. In some areas he consistently disappears for no reason, and the gates swing open without anyone being there.
Steps to reproduce: Walk in and out of the gates of Zeklos or Krezk freely, at any point of the night, until about 4 or 5 AM. The guard will no longer let you leave. This next part is specifically in Zeklos, where if you watch for a little longer, the guard will just walk away, disappear without actually walking up to the entrance of any building, and then shortly after, the gate swings open with nobody nearby, which happens shortly after 6 AM I believe.

Notes: Footage to come soonish. I just need to actually get out to Zeklos at this exact time. But it has a 100% reproduction rate, it never not happens.

OOC problems leading to area abandonment: Like the RP XP cap in Western Barovia, these bugged behaviours shove players away and incentivize them going to more convenient places like Dementlieu for OOC reasons rather than IC reasons. In Dementlieu, it's already about a 2 minute walk to get to the dye vendor from the entrance of the city. Two transitions. Zeklos and Krezk have major low-level crafting hubs and dye vendors. To get to Krezk from Zeklos, you risk running into some of the most powerful outdoor mobs in the game which can be found patrolling when not in "sleep mode" idling, but still their spawns are very close to the road. You also have to spend around 5 minutes at a full running pace just to get to Zeklos from the Vallaki outskirts. This makes the region so unattractive when paired with the bug.

To those in disbelief: I understand that it's Barovia, but why would tavern doors be unlocked at night, but other businesses lock, despite some of them having specifically designated night shift workers that appear in there as the sun sets ingame, but you can't access them without breaking and entering? The only way to do business in these places is to bash or pick your way in, or just log in on the interior while it's night time. Something is wrong.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 10:17:07 PM »
Name: Village of Barovia gate doesn't lock at night

Where: Barovia - Village of Barovia - Western Outskirts

When: At night

What: When night falls, the gate is not locked, even though the guard has been programmed with the script to let people out, when he shuts it down again, it does not lock.

Recreate: It happens every IC night.

Ideas: I have a feeling this may be intended, since the VoB doesn't have any alternative entrances. However, if it is truly a bug, I'd check out the guard in Wachter Outpost, he can lock the door there just fine.

Were you by any chance the first PC in the area? It may have been bashed before, otherwise chances are if you were in the area at the moment night fell it didn't automatically lock since the script fires on area activation.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
I didn't even realize this was a bug. The gates to VoB have never been locked for me and one of my characters usually prefers going through the village at night (since there is no alternative path to get into the Svalich beyond it). When I went past there recently there was actually a guard standing next to the gate at night. I assumed he was there to watch over the nearby livestock but wouldn't bashing the gate open make him go hostile to you? I always assumed it was intended since the gate going into the Svalich doesn't even look like it would lock anyways.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
In my personal experience, VoB gate doesnt auto lock for the night but if someone asks the guard to be let out, then he does lock it after them and everything works correctly from then on.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
In my personal experience, VoB gate doesnt auto lock for the night but if someone asks the guard to be let out, then he does lock it after them and everything works correctly from then on.

In my experience, he does close the gate but doesn't lock it.

Which is why I started this thread.
Not all who wander are lost.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »

Locked it for me. He wouldn't lock it if the gate was open already, but if the gate was closed he walked over, opened, closed then locked as appropriate. Definitely not locking automatically at night though.

Haered Gwend

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
It is locked currently at in-game noon.

The guard won't speak to my PC because she's an Elf, so I'm locked inside.

Haered Gwend

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »

After dark, he would address me and let me out. But from outside the gate when trying to be let in, all he will do is "Looks about confused."

Nevermind: If you try the gate he will open it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:30:40 PM by Haered Gwend »

Haered Gwend

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »

After dark, he would address me and let me out. But from outside the gate when trying to be let in, all he will do is "Looks about confused."

Nevermind: If you try the gate he will open it.

This is confusing because in Krezk if you try the western gate, the guard ignores you. You have to speak to him. In the Village of Barovia, the guard ignores you unless you try the gate.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »
Hopefully this should now be fixed.