Author Topic: Private Journal of Juliana of Sparta  (Read 703 times)

ServantofShar

• Outlander
Private Journal of Juliana of Sparta
« on: July 15, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
[This journal is written in Ancient Greek.]

Month 7, Day 15

It's been four days since I've made my presence known to the local populace. Valentina and I have been scouring the countryside for the last month, looking for something- anything- to give us any chance of survival. Every once in a while, we would meander closer to civilization to try and get a grasp on the local language. I think perhaps I may be doing better than she has when it comes to picking up on the language, though I doubt by much.

I met a woman yesterday. Kora, she says her name is. She understands that my "common", as they call it, is not that great. Thankfully, we are able to communicate through a series of hand signals. After introductions, she motioned saying that she had to get some rest, but promised that we would speak soon. I am not hopeful of this, however. Even the other Spartans I have seen so far have ultimately ignored my presence. Either they do not wish to speak to me, or they do not see me. Either way, it is aggravating to have no one understand and everyone just ignore me because I do not understand nor speak their language.

I have not seen Valentina since we made our presence known. I do hope she is doing well. Perhaps she has had more luck in plying our trade than I have. I have found two places that I could work at as a courtesan, but I have my doubts about continuing my trade here as I did in Sparta. Is it really what I want to do here? In Sparta, the only way for me to earn decent coin as practically less than lower class was to become a courtesan, but here... here there is hope for something different. Today I made more coin doing a delivery to this place they call "Krofburg" than I did in one day in Sparta. Just one trip, and that is just one way! Perhaps I should show Valentina this, if she has not figured it out already.

I am glad that I also took up protection training alongside my training for my trade. It has become useful here instead of just driving people out of the brothel when they start harming the other girls. Here, I can perhaps become even more useful. I can make a difference, even if it's a small one. Hence why I have my doubts about continuing my trade here. I want to be useful to others.

But first... I have to break this language barrier.