Within the swirling Mist (IC) > Biographies

Journal of a Displaced Tax Collector

(1/3) > >>

HouseOfLament:
(All text is written in Urikite unless specifically stated otherwise.)

In all thoughts and actions I must remember that my purpose is to return to Urik with a great bounty of metal and water.

Circumstances: I am now twice-Misted and find myself in Vallaki, Barovia.  I have undertaken delivery of letters and cargo as an appropriate and profitable civil duty.  King Hamanu feels distant and does not reach out with his mind to provide me with directives despite daily offerings of water, surely this ought to get his attention even if it is wise to avoid such attention.

Mysteries: Nature and purpose of Darkon's memory rewriting.  Presence of a moon on the night of Barovian winter solstice (or perhaps it is better to approach the mystery as lack of a moon on Darkon's Darkest Night.)  Those of the Grey Realm linger under the Cult of the Morninglord's temple but do not advance upon the living upon the surface.  The absence of the Way, Thri-Kreen, Kanks, Erdlu and Muls.  The presence of Gnomes, Caliban, wolves, chicken, and horses.  The apparent civility of Halflings.

Confirmed: That Athas is real.  I met a woman who is from there.  She named the cities Draj and Raam.  (I still have concerns that Darkon or something therein has a continued, subtle effect on my memories, regardless.)

To be confirmed: Sigil, multiverse, lycanthropes, vampires

Observations: Anyone can live like a king without knowing it.  This is a land of plenty, it has made people weak and foolish.  People proudly rebuke warnings that if listened to can ensure continued survival.  I have witnessed much waste, including use of magic for no purpose beyond amusement and to create conflict where none has naturally sprung.  This land can be harsh but danger presents in more subtle ways.  Knowledge is therefore the greatest tool for survival here.  Multiple people are afflicted with a sickness of the mind that compels them to act as raiders in search of water, when there is plenty of water to be found.  It is senseless and disturbing.

Course of action: accumulate wealth, travel to Dementlieu and contact a group known as the Erudites.

HouseOfLament:
In all thoughts and actions I must remember that my purpose is to return to Urik with a great bounty of metal and water.

Circumstances: I have met B, another Athasian.  It was the first time I spent the night outside.  Additional confirmation that Athas is real seems valuable to me.

Mystery: Who gets taken by the Mists and why?

Observations:
* Gwen, Human female.  Tribal, generally survived in the places between Draj and Raam.  Industrious personality demonstrated by success as a craftsman.  Engaging personality.
* B, Human male.  Tyrian Gladiator-slave.  Mercenary attitude, now has freedom and would like to use it.  Takes pride in the harsh conditions from whence we came.
* Myself, Human male.  Templar of King Hamanu's Urik.  Perhaps the most risk-averse of all the Vallaki outlanders.
* All three are Human from a crescent shaped region that would fit above the Tablelands.  From memory, the Dragon's Bowl would be the center of this region.
* None of us seem to be, as it has been explained to me, heroes or villains.  (We are simply survivors.)
* That is where the commonalities end.

Conclusions: None

Suggested Conclusion, B: We are here to prevent the destruction of this world.

Claim: Magic is used excessively and wastefully here (confirmed multiple times)
Claim: Magic destroyed Athas (likely)
Claim: Athas was once verdant like the Core (unlikely and never mentioned in the Templar's library)
Claim, Shannon Linwood: she has personally witnessed pursuit of arcane power twist the minds of others (a different defilement?)

Observation: I was selected and sworn to serve King Hamanu and Urik in all things.  Saving this world is not expedient to their interests.
Observation: The Mists brought me to a place where I would forget both King Hamanu and Urik.  Then the Mists brought me to another place where I would recall Athas.  It is as if the Mists would personally have me know that like B, I too can be free and I too can turn my back on my old life.  Choose my own purpose.
Observation: In all thoughts and actions I must remember that my purpose is to return to Urik with a great bounty of metal and water. 

Result: B's suggested conclusion is discarded.

Course of action: One full day and night to contemplate my purpose without food, water or sleep so that I may purge myself of inefficient thoughts such as Observation 2, above.

HouseOfLament:

Circumstances: Constantin, proprietor of the fishing lodge outside Vallaki, was indisposed and unable to accept deliveries for a full day.  Returning to Vallaki before the sun rises would be a failure to heed the warnings.

Mystery: Is the Barovian night unsafe?

Method: Move cargo inside the lodge to ensure delivery, leave the ox tied up outside for the night.  Observe result after sunrise.

Observations:
* Ox was found the next morning dead and badly mauled.  Examination of body shows the animal was clawed, bit and ripped open.  Further examination of entrails shows the ox to be more similar to Humans than Kanks.
* Body suggests attacker was similar in nature to beast identified as Lycanthrope that entered the Lady's Resting Place and was felled by other patrons.

Conclusion: The Barovian night is unsafe due to widespread presence of Lycanthropes.  I am told they are vulnerable only to certain metals which would make them apex predators on Athas.  An unsettling notion.

HouseOfLament:

Circumstances: My pile of wolf fangs from deliveries has been traded for a full set of chitin armor and an incredibly sharp, glowing blade that freezes my enemies. 

Observations:
* I believe the blade to be worth more than the entire Kronn Estate and having it on Athas would be extraordinarily dangerous, as everyone would want to have it for themselves.
* Once I have repleted my coffers, venturing to Port-a-Lucine in Dementlieu remains expedient to my interests.
* Temporarily adopting the so-called adventurer lifestyle will provide funds and training to ensure I successfully make the journey.
* Based on early attempts, those who advance carefully and work as a group have the greatest likelihood of survival.
* Whenever taking risks, it is paramount to consider that my life is not my own.  It is my King's, my House's, and Urik's in that order. 

Conclusion: And so being hazardous rather than prudent defies my duty to all three of those parties.  And so it shall not be done. 

HouseOfLament:

Circumstances: I have made contact with Archadeus from the Society of Erudites

Observations:
* Rare literature can be purchased from him at the Mist Camp.  One of the tomes seems relevant to those who wish to navigate the Mists to lands beyond the Core.
* Entrance into the Society of Erudites requires composition of original research, to be peer reviewed and judged for merit.
* It seems best to research something in Barovia.  Once this task is complete it will be appropriate to move on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version