You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Expose button suggestion  (Read 10301 times)

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Expose button suggestion
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:34:49 AM »
What about a “Expose” action available to anyone where if you detect someone who is in stealth mode, you can click on them if you’re within 5’ to pull them out of stealth mode. Basically like you’re showing everyone else where they are hiding.

IrishIron

• Undead Slayer
Re: Expose button suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 05:49:17 PM »
+1 this. Expose

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
-1 expose.  I can see it getting a lot of abuse.

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
-1 expose.  I can see it getting a lot of abuse.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »
If you spot a stealther, your PC can currently vocalize: "I see someone right there" and point. That is an an attempt to make other PCs see the stealther. But there is no reason this should work any better than it does currently and other PCs be able to see with the detector's eyes or hear with the detector's ears.

It's a variation on the argument that "You can't hide somewhere when there's nowhere to hide." But in NWN you can. So it follows to me that is just as reasonable a PC who is terrible at spotting will not necessarily notice a hidden PC even if that PC is pointed out.  I think it would be significant shift in game balance if my PC suddenly could in effect utilize a companion's Spot/Listen skill to make up for the detection weakness in her build. We can't share AC or AB. It seems unfair that a PC built around stealth should suddenly have that build made greatly weaker by other PCs in effect sharing around their detection skills.

If stealth has become unbalanced and is too strong, I'd prefer a tweak rather than something this major to restore the balance.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
If you spot a stealther, your PC can currently vocalize: "I see someone right there" and point. That is an an attempt to make other PCs see the stealther. But there is no reason this should work any better than it does currently and other PCs be able to see with the detector's eyes or hear with the detector's ears.

It's a variation on the argument that "You can't hide somewhere when there's nowhere to hide." But in NWN you can. So it follows to me that is just as reasonable a PC who is terrible at spotting will not necessarily notice a hidden PC even if that PC is pointed out.  I think it would be significant shift in game balance if my PC suddenly could in effect utilize a companion's Spot/Listen skill to make up for the detection weakness in her build. We can't share AC or AB. It seems unfair that a PC built around stealth should suddenly have that build made greatly weaker by other PCs in effect sharing around their detection skills.

If stealth has become unbalanced and is too strong, I'd prefer a tweak rather than something this major to restore the balance.

I am very much in favor of "expose" as an option. I'd be more sympathetic to this argument if stealth itself wasn't so open to abuse. I can't count how many times I've been in a situation where Characters A and B are talking and Character C  will walk up, in stealth, and stand right beside them. It's ridiculous that Character A can spot them and go "He's right beside you" and Character B could not ever mechanically see them under any circumstances.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Spoiler: show

I am very much in favor of "expose" as an option. I'd be more sympathetic to this argument if stealth itself wasn't so open to abuse. I can't count how many times I've been in a situation where Characters A and B are talking and Character C  will walk up, in stealth, and stand right beside them. It's ridiculous that Character A can spot them and go "He's right beside you" and Character B could not ever mechanically see them under any circumstances.

That's because you are viewing it in real world terms rather than NWN / DND terms. As I said, it's a variation on the finding it ridiculous that a person can hide without any environmental circumstance that would allow hiding. But we accept magic in this setting and all sorts of other phenomenal abilities in this setting.

Why can an herbalist mix two herbs together in front of you and produce an elixir without fail, and your PC do the same thing under the herbalist's oversight and your PC have no chance of success?

If you were color blind, I could try to show you red all day long and you woudn't see it.

At the end of the day, game balance, not realism, must prevail in a fantasy game setting. An argument that something is "ridiculous" isn't sufficient. Would this change improve or upset balance?

I think it very severely tips the balance against stealthers. FWIW, I don't have any personal reason to oppose it, as my play style would benefit from it.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 01:03:17 PM »
Well, if I spot a stealthed character, I could walk up and emote climbing up onto him with a grapple check, as if to go for a piggy-back ride and people still wouldn't be able to the person I was riding on. haha. I'm all for game balance...  but I also like to immerse and its really hard to do that when Thomas has got a stealthed person in a headlock giving him a noogie and saying "He's right here, in a headlock... he's wearing bright red...can't you see him!?"   Hypatia: "Nope! failed muh spot check."

We can't share AC or AB. It seems unfair that a PC built around stealth should suddenly have that build made greatly weaker by other PCs in effect sharing around their detection skills.

Well no, but we can dispel invisibility, use spells to give or strip AB and AC from other players to the advantage of  other PCs who can't themselves do it. I can use my cleric to dispel all the buffs on another player and the fighters in my group can fully take advantage of his sudden unbuffed weakness even though they themselves cannot cast dispell. There are lots of things we can do to diminish other player's skills for everyone's advantage.  I don't understand why stealth is somehow immune to everything but a dedicated spotter who can't even show everyone else what he found. That would be like if I found a secret door, but couldn't show it to anyone else.. it makes no sense.

I'm all for stealth being effective and I really believe you should need a dedicated spotter to detect... but that spotter; who is going to have to sacrifice a lot for his ability should be able to call in the troops if he catches a spy by exposing him.

Edit:  Also, a stealthier who is exposed can run around a corner and stealth again. You can outrun spot/listen with Hide & Move silent by a pretty healthy margin.  Most detectors are going to have to roll pretty high on the d20 in the same round the stealthier has to roll pretty low. The spotter's unlikely to detect them quickly unless the stealther is outclassed... and if he's outclassed, well then its fair.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:21:12 PM by Hypatia »

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
The issue raised last time this came up is that wearing full stealth gear gimps you combat wise just as much (if not more) than full detect gear. Shadow Strikes, anyone. I have little opinion on this myself since I don't play a stealther.
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »
This is what we're doing? Alright. We can play "What is a sufficient argument." Point by point.
That's because you are viewing it in real world terms rather than NWN / DND terms.
Nyet. You don't get to tell me what my position is. You get to tell me your position, I get to tell you mine. That's how this works.

as I said, it's a variation on the finding it ridiculous that a person can hide without any environmental circumstance that would allow hiding.
Not the argument I made, thus discarded.

But we accept magic in this setting and all sorts of other phenomenal abilities in this setting.
Which would be a perfectly valid argument if stealth was ruled to be in any way a supernatural or magical ability. Short of a DM ruling that stealth is inherently magical, this is not a valid or sufficient argument. Discarded.

Why can an herbalist mix two herbs together in front of you and produce an elixir without fail, and your PC do the same thing under the herbalist's oversight and your PC have no chance of success?
Not at all the same kind of fictional scenario.

If you were color blind, I could try to show you red all day long and you woudn't see it.
Stealth is not the induction of a physiological impairment. Otherwise you would not need to keep making stealth checks. A color blind person cannot invest sufficient skill points to see red. A stealther is not literally invisible. This is not a valid comparison.

At the end of the day, game balance, not realism, must prevail in a fantasy game setting.
The main argument in this entire post and I disagree in both premise and conclusion.

I never made an argument for realism. That's your word of choice, not mine. If anything, my argument is for immersion and verisimilitude. Your premise is incorrect from the beginning as these are not the same concepts.

Verisimilitude argues that the thing should obey the rules of the fictional world as set forth by the fiction itself. You can have magic and dragons and elves and whatever other sort of fantastic nonsense you please, but everything is not explicitly stated otherwise is assumed to function in the same ways you would expect in the real world or by the implications of other elements in the fiction.

Viewing stealth in the terms of D&D declares hide and move silently to be mundane skills. They are not supernatural in nature. And actual D&D is more restrictive on how they can be used than NWN is by miles. Even ignoring that, if stealth is a mundane ability, then we can assume it should abide by some kind of basic mundane restrictions.

Even beyond that, I completely disagree with the idea that "game balance" must prevail. Every time an unpopular decision is made, it is generally reinforced with the refrain: this is an RP server. The decisions made are to reinforce the mood/setting/theme/quality of RP/etc. This is especially true when someone brings up balance issues and gets shot down (for instance, half-orcs being objectively worse than any other race mechanically in addition to being shut out of a lot of role-playing opportunities and thus having the hardest time getting started...)

Whenever "game balance" and "the setting" or "role playing" has come into direct conflict, the server stance has leaned firmly against the former. Preserving some sense of verisimilitude falls under that heading. As it stands, stealth is abusable to the point of being immersion-breaking. This is actively detracts from the RP the server is supposed to prioritize.

Would this change improve or upset balance?
Good question, except that I disagree with the conclusion you came to. Stealth is already severely broken in a way that contradicts the actual fluff of the skill in question and creates scenarios that could never happen in even in tabletop D&D.

If the DMs want to make an official ruling that stealth is all inherently ninja-magic, then fine. We can treat it as a supernatural ability and all of this is moot. Until that point, I am going to be in favor of changes that make the stealth system in the game behave like a mundane skill set.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
Can we get a robust stealth system that allows people to hide in closets and hay baskets, under desks and  tables. Listen in from outside the zone under windows? Hide in the alcove and so on?

That might make stealth better, yes?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
Keep this discussion civil or we'll lock this thread.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
It would be nifty. I've encountered scenarios where even when detected and outed a stealther remains in stealth. So having something like that would be great. Honestly, as the feydust has too low a DC to be effective, this could be a feat perhaps that is available with a certain amount of points in spot and listen.

I recall being so stoked when I first saw feydust, then I tried to use it once to out a stealther, emoted throwing it right on them too. The argument for it being abused is kinda foolish when practically anything can be abused if someone wants to be a bad apple. I sort of see this as being beneficial and helping to even the playing ground between stealthers and detectors. It could be something even similar to the feat that lets you see invisible creature for a round or something.  Now I don't know if it could be set to only work close to someone... If it could be set that after you put the required skills into spot and listen, take the feat, and spot someone you have to get right up close to them, and use it.

Just my two cents here.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 02:25:24 PM »
I would personally like to see the listen skill worked on to act like the paladin detect. If a person happens to hear a sneak close by, rather than “seeing them”, they should receive a yellow text pop up that states something like “You hear something suspicious six feet to the west”, or something along those lines.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »
Just for the record…. "Expose" might not be the right name for this ability... I really didn't think that through.   Maybe "Reveal!"

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
It would be nifty. I've encountered scenarios where even when detected and outed a stealther remains in stealth. So having something like that would be great. Honestly, as the feydust has too low a DC to be effective, this could be a feat perhaps that is available with a certain amount of points in spot and listen.

+1

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »
I launched a thread similar to this months ago, it's interesting how discussions come full circle.

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=49691.msg609667#msg609667

Though what I will say is that it is a common practice for stealthers who want to interact with certain individuals they know have decent listen/spot, but not high enough to detect them normally, to then remove equipment items down to their detect skill's range, then re-equip it and remain 'revealed' beside them and hold a conversation.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Here's my take as a stealther.

Detectors have the advantage, a 20 point advantage on any stealthers.

Detectors only need to invest in one detection skill Spot or Listen, not both
Stealthers need to invest in both to be effective.

The reason that stealthers need to stand directly next to you, is because the mechanic for whisper is just as broken as the mechanic for listen and so many other things in game.

Otherwise, a stealther would be able to find a spot to hide, watch and listen to you from that position, and likely overhear some things that are being said.  The question of whether it's Realistic or not is kinda moot because it's not realistic.  You can't see with your ears.  I can't hide in the middle of an open ballroom. 

So if you were to implement this, it would take one good spotter to ruin every stealthers experience.

*Expose*
*Expose*
*Expose*

Alright guys we're 100% safe from any bad things happening or any bad people hearing us.
That's not fun for you or me.

Part of the challenge of stealthing, is learning who can and cannot spot you.

I really just think it's a bad idea.  There are other mechanics that are still more broken.

If this were to be implemented, I would expect listen to change, I would expect stealth to be given 1 skill point to worry about instead of 2, I would expect more tools for the stealther to stay hidden.

I think the expose just breaks the already fine balance that exists with stealthers.

There are lots of ways to deal with stealthers already
Alarm
Lots of potions
Rings, Helms, Necklaces
locked doors
Traps
moving around
closing doors behind you
Basically anything that isn't being stationary for too long

Then, on top of it all, people with no investment in detection can "Spot" a stealthed character upon transition because the engine is buggy and reveals stealthers upon entering a new zone.  They instantly disappear on screen, but it's enough to warn you away.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
This feat should just be available to everyone at character creation. Anyone can scream "Hey look guys! I found a guy hiding in this cookie-jar!"

Having a prerequesite for spot and listen is redundant because you're never going to spot anyone anyway without a significant investment in these skills.

For the whispering problem, maybe make a feat called: "Lip Reader" where the range you can hear whispers is doubled. Maybe the amplify spell could do that too?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:46:26 PM by Hypatia »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
This feat should just be available to everyone at character creation. Anyone can scream "Hey look guys! I found a guy hiding in this cookie-jar!"

Having a prerequesite for spot and listen is redundant because you're never going to spot anyone anyway without a significant investment in these skills.

Have you ever gone hunting, bird seeing or any other similar activity with an experienced tracker/guide? Even when they point the animal that is very well camouflaged, it can take you several minutes to even notice it, if at all.

In either case, much like last time this was requested, the answer is no, we won't implement such a feature, both because of engine limitations and balance reasons.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:49:41 PM by EO »

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
Well I get that, but that's why I suggested the spotter had to be within 5' giving the stealthier the ability to move away if he thinks he's been spotted.  But no is no!

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
+1. I think a good way to implement this given the current engine would be to make an ability that initiated a grapple check between the user and the stealther. If the stealther fails, they could receive something like -100 to hide and move silently for as long as they fail to escape their opponent's grapple.

As for the bird hunting example: If a bird is in a tree and you point at it, other people might not see it. But if you grip the bird in your fist and shove it in people's face, they would have a hard time *not* seeing it.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
As with the last time such a feat was suggested, I think that players should not always offload such things on Devs and expect mechanics to enforce them. If your PC spots a stealther, at this point it would be better to RP the result in cooperation with other players IMO.

That is, the stealther does have some responsibility to RP a reasonable result as to whether it would be possible to stay hidden when someone is going "look here!"

But likewise, you should not be able to press a button and without any other RP effort instantly expose the stealther to all.

We're playing a game that's a mix of mechanics and RP.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
Well stated Iridni. I do agree that they're is something to the idea. 

Personally, I think, if a stalker is spotted, truly, then the spotter can roll a spot or listen check to prove sufficient skill.

This allows the stealthed to know they've been detected. And opens the door for RP.

As Haifisch pointed out, you can use physical means to do so. A grapple is after all a cvc action. What's the difference if you just punch or non lethal the sneaker instead?

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »
What about something where if a stealther is spotted you can use a feat to boost everyone's perception skills for a few seconds to give them a better chance of noticing instead of a flat out reveal.