Author Topic: Removed being set as dead if one is at 0 or less health  (Read 1627 times)

Kanrath

• New to the Mists
Removed being set as dead if one is at 0 or less health
« on: June 20, 2019, 04:10:04 PM »
Two times in the last 2 days now I've been forced dead because I crashed while at full health and was not disconnected till I was at least at 0 health meaning when I re connected I was sent to the death plane. In each case I was with a group, so had I simply reconnected and been force damaged to the health I had before I disconnected I would of had a chance to be revived (one time I was at 0 so I would of been stable). Can we please change out the giving a death tag the moment someone hits 0 or less hp to giving forced damage on logging in setting one back to the hp they had at disconnect? That way when someone logs in (if they are trying to avoid dying to re logging to heal) it will force them back to their hp at log with magic damage, and if someone crashed due to ee, it will give them a chance to be saved.

It made sense back before EE disconnects became so common, now it simply punishes players for a constantly present bug.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 04:14:42 PM by Kanrath »

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Re: Removed being set as dead if one is at 0 or less health
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
I am very sympathetic to this idea. EE is about as stable as crypto prices.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
The issue here is where do you draw the line to prevent abuse? People can force a crash of their game, so it would be easy to fall below 0, and then just log until you could find yourself help so you don't die. I believe that is why they have the scripts to 'kill you' if you log out or crash when you are below 0.

While it would be nice to not have crashes do such, unfortunately this is another example of people abusing something ruins it for the rest of us.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
I don't know.. being brought back, at like 1hp, surrounded by enemies... doesn't really sound like something to be exploited, to me
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Dante101

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
It'd be a way to get around the bleedout that people suffer when dropping to 0 hp.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
As long as the magic damages takes you to where you were, even ifs the negatives, I don’t see how it could really be abused; you’d still bleed out or not. I mean I’m sure it could be somehow, but honestly id rather see the cheaters punished than everyone.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:21 PM »
In order for this to work, you'd have to automatically take damage and drop to 0 or below so it can't be exploited and you return to bleeding out. The reason you come back dead is because this is a custom system, not regular vanilla nwn, and in vanilla you are dead once you're at 0 or below without exception. So if you log, it triggers the end of the custom scripts and bam, you're dead. It doesn't seem very feasible to fix this without causing a clunk of scripts that all could go wrong. Another way it could be exploited is if you log at -9 to give yourself a longer countdown. and even with only 1 hp, you can still flee, there's a delay in hostile actions of a few seconds. Enough time to get out of dodge.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
There are no plans to change this, both for reasons Tycat listed and also we don't want people "sitting out" encounters by logging out and logging back in when everything is safe. Crashes are painful for sure but that's something Beamdog is working on so that should eventually be fixed.