You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Server reset suggestion  (Read 838 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Server reset suggestion
« on: January 02, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »
Hello.

Lately there has been resets everyday, sometimes multiple per day. This seems to be done with the mistaken idea that the fix lag, even though Arawn has stated on the discord before that they do not do so. Moreover they disrupt RP and various events. It feels rather ridicolous with the amount of daily resets the server is getting.

So my suggestion is either:

A.) Institute a time limit between resets say 72 hours

B.) go back to where only DMs could initiate resets.

Thoughts? feedback on these suggestions? If you got your own, feel free to add them as well.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Server reset suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 03:21:18 PM »
I would like the DM's be able to set an 'Event Flag', which while set disables PC resets.

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 03:31:32 PM »
I would like the DM's be able to set an 'Event Flag', which while set disables PC resets.

If we're actively in an event we can stop the reset easily and reschedule it for when we're done. It's not an issue for us but thank you for your feedback!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »
If this is one of those changes that would impact the action server too, then i'm strongly against it. The action server rarely sees any supervision and reset votes are one of the few tools that keeps the server going (as in stuck characters, area respawns, stuff like that).

I am one of those that thought that server resets help solve lag, but if it is not the case then maybe it would be worth adding a line in the reset dialogue mention this fact.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »

If we're actively in an event we can stop the reset easily and reschedule it for when we're done. It's not an issue for us but thank you for your feedback!

But if you're not online for a PC event, and the preperation work has been set up, you could 'lock' it in place.

Otherwise if you spend ages setting up a PC event you are not actually attending, a reset can hit it and wipe everything out, and since you're no longer there, you wouldn't be able to set it up again either.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
As I said in the discord discussion earlier, I think that applying a reset regulation isn't the solution here. I perfectly understand how much of an inconvenience a reset can be to all those working to setup an event, DMs and players alike. At the same time however, the lag is a massive inconvenience to all those not attending the event, who are practically thrown into a limbo of inability to do even the simplest things like selling wares, or even going through transitions, let alone heading to any dungeons, and that for 3-4 hours. Sure, people could spend that period of time sitting around, telling stories, but to ask that of 50+ people every other day isn't going to work. Not to mention that some have only a limited amount of spare time to devote to the game and, if they happen to log in by event's start, they're practically robbed of the chance to decently play.

The lag issue is being looked into, or so I was told, so I'm confident this will be resolved soon enough. As I also mentioned in that discussion, most of the new arrivals don't even know that resets don't help, or that dropping/placing stuff all over the ground contributes to it. It'd be a good move to let them know, either with a forum post, or at the OOC area upon arrival.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 06:59:01 PM by Kiyosa »

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »
As I said in the discord discussion earlier, I think that applying a reset regulation isn't the solution here. I perfectly understand how much of an inconvenience a reset can be to all those working to setup an event, DMs and players alike. At the same time however, the lag is a massive inconvenience to all those not attending the event, who are practically thrown into a limbo of inability to do even the simplest things like selling wares, or even going through transitions, let alone heading to any dungeons, and that for 3-4 hours. Sure, people could spend that period of time sitting around, telling stories, but to ask that of 50+ people every other day isn't going to work. Not to mention that some have only a limited amount of spare time to devote to the game and, if they happen to log in by event's start, they're practically robbed of the chance to decently play.

The lag issue is being looked into, or so I was told, so I'm confident this will be resolved soon enough. As I also mentioned in that discussion, most of the new arrivals don't even know that resets don't help, or that dropping/placing stuff all over the ground contributes to it. It'd be a good move to let them know, either with a forum post, or at the OOC area upon arrival.

That's all well and good but with respect, resetting the server doesn't fix the lag which is the major reason why players especially aren't big on having their crafted areas/scenes reset because that will mean a good couple hours before it's rebuilt

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 09:41:38 PM »

I think this should be done, though it should be noted that most people do not visit the forums/discord, and anything written here or there is typically considered to be a myth, even if a DM or developer says it. This information needs to be attached to the message when one tries to initiate the vote, or one is notified of a vote starting.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
That's all well and good but with respect, resetting the server doesn't fix the lag which is the major reason why players especially aren't big on having their crafted areas/scenes reset because that will mean a good couple hours before it's rebuilt
I'm aware. Many others aren't though, like I mentioned. I can even imagine some of those who do know voting yes due to frustration at this point. Either way, the update was just applied, so here's to hoping this is resolved!