Author Topic: Suggestions - Systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven RP  (Read 13455 times)

Romulus

• Golden Sunshine Boy
  • Outlander
Master-Apprentice system for crafting

Expanded MPC functionality; in-area PC locating, salient abilities and scene dressing (blood splats, etc)

New MPC templates: Hag, Death Knight, Fiend (AMPC only) and Ghost (AMPC only)

OCR examination and modification tool for PC Guards (Vallaki, Gendarme and Krofburg)

Enhanced RPXP progression in Faction locations

Reduced RPXP progression in the Western Outskirts

Layman boards for the Church of the Morninglord and Church of Ezra Factions

Long-term lets at the Bluewater and Blood O' the Vine Inns

Can I give more than one +1? Cause this deserves all the +1's. Perfect summary of everything I'd like to see
~Heilyn Chitrarath, Dawnbringer, Barovia
~Jonathan Garrett, Hunter, Barovia

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
This is a bit from left field but after my experiences last night I'd really like to empower death on the server as a RP device. I think it is a great opportunity and driver for quests and experiences for the whole player base. I would personally like to see the following:

- The ability for a player ghosts to jump to other players on the server with their consent. It would allow the players to have an IC call for help that right or wrong would usually be done through tells or OOC, it would need to be consented to prevent abuse, spying, excessive haunting etc. It would also encourage smaller parties to be a bit more adventurous instead of restricting themselves to the primary higher traffic "shipping lanes" or approach dungeons with an absolute excessive amount of player.
- The ability for ghosts to earn rp xp if they cannot do so already and players likewise for the interaction
- Player weapons to be treated in a similar manner to the PC corpse in that they are replaced with another item and persisted through restarts/logoffs. The item can only be unwrapped by the PC owner and does not come back if the player resurrects VIA ghost and must be retrieved. This is to remove any ooc need to scramble to get the weapons back before they disappear due to needing to log off due to RL (which to be really important for me) or server restarts, but still serves in the same manner as the current system.
- Perhaps give the dead persons possessions persisted item the ability to have gold "banked" against it so other players can use it for resurrections and move some of the death responsibility back onto the players to fund their own resurrections. 

My primary play time is during the server off peak, the player population is low and I find death during this time period is an absolutely crippling/server breaking experience.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
My suggestion is to revise the roleplay experience restrictions currently in place on faction areas. This would encourage faction growth and reward individuals who remain within a faction longer and dedicate their time toward strengthening the plot-driven elements of Vallaki.

The restrictions as they are encourage server migration but that is not an option that is applicable to all concepts. It feels punishing that the Ste. Mere des Larmes receives full consideration for experience, while the Refuge of the Fifth Light does not. We should encourage any location that generates positive, setting-centric roleplay for the server rather than reward primarily based on migration and adventure.

Some example of faction areas that would benefit...
Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Refuge of the Fifth Light
Redoubtable Chapel
Vallaki Slums Morninglord Sanctuary
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

I may be missing some less known factions on this list, but they would be included as well. I have listed the more public areas where available because the goal is to encourage people to participate in open roleplay rather than exclusive that would put us behind plot doors.

This, so much this. I would adore if there was experience gain in the drain and the other places. It would give a spot for natives to still gain exp when they get a higher level instead of being forced away for the sake of gaining exp. I do echo others in that the outskirts, ML temple in the outskirts and the lady's rest ought to remain with the exp restriction. This could also be used to encourage people to use certain places more often, or even to join factions.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Iyer

• Outlander
I support removing rp caps for faction bases, but that's it. The problem with vallaki is that it was intended as a low level area. Imagine growing up in a town the size of vallaki. You've learned much of culture from the town, but after so long, it's the same type of people and the same routine every day. Now imagine moving to a bigger City, like port. There's a whole new culture to learn, a whole new set of people. In my opinion, vallaki should stay low level. It's emersion healing when there is a high level in the outskirts keeping all the ampcs from having their fun.

Ard

• Undead Slayer
  • Exploit theoretician
Add Degannwy it's the only elven hub in server

Hypatia

• Undead Master
So properties you can rent tend to be run-down or empty on the inside, but what about a series of premade house/shop interiors for each town so that when someone rents a property, they can get a quick tour of the “upgrades” there are to choose from, and select which interior to have linked to the door?

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
Just recalled another idea that I had talked to others about in the past:

Making the nights scarier, maybe having the roaming werewolves and monster spawns in Barovia scale in power to the amount/level of the players in that zone. It would go a great deal toward selling the atmosphere and making sure that people don't just stop fearing the night once they're level five or so.
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Just recalled another idea that I had talked to others about in the past:

Making the nights scarier, maybe having the roaming werewolves and monster spawns in Barovia scale in power to the amount/level of the players in that zone. It would go a great deal toward selling the atmosphere and making sure that people don't just stop fearing the night once they're level five or so.
This!  The first thing that made me fall in love with this server was how dark it was outside the vistani camp as I first arrived. I sat there not knowing what to do and then someone came along and agreed to lead me to some place safe. The atmosphere was perfect. Those two little candles outside the Church were burning and I really couldn’t see much else. No one was outside and the night seemed so damned oppressive and terrifying. I went into the church and found a few people in there that were really talking up the atmosphere how you never go outside.  It was perfect and I was immediately in love with the server. I can’t help but wonder if my perception would have been different if I’d walked up and seen 50 people standing around outside having casual conversations and whipping the occasional outgunned pack of wolf men with ease.  The night really needs to be scarier.  I’d love to see the chance for a pack of super vicious monsters to come rip through that crowd once or twice to give back the fear of old night. Maybe even some kind of monster you just can’t fight.. like a flesh-eating fog that starts level draining anyone who stands in its way as it covers the ground; Or a dive-bombing flying monster that randomly attacks and carries off a PC to some far away place.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Kill RPXP in the Outskirts and watch the people dry up.

I firmly believe the #1 reason people hang out in the Outskirts at night is on the off chance that an MPC or DM event designed to 'scare them off will occur.
Perversely then, it is the threat of Old Night that makes people brave it!
Harder and more frequent monsters may just make it more appealing, because they're juicy XP nuggets at the end.
A sort of existential, undetectable threat would ameliorate that of course, but, for me.. players should never be presented with something they can't beat. Make it hard, even really hard.. but not unwinnable.
For me, the best way to keep indoors ar night, is to make the indoors more appealing than outdoors.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
The fear of old noapte and that first uncertainty when coming to the server are just something like innocence that can't be regained or recreated after you're experienced and become well...jaded. Hanging in the Discord, I hear plenty of (truly) new players who yet come in and say how terribly hard this server is.

Anyway, let's stick to the thread subject here rather than turning this into a WO debate.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Kerby

• New to the Mists
A spawnable mist that the DMs could throw down that would teleport people to the other mist entrances randomly.  Want people scared of the night with nothing to fight?  That'd have me running back inside for fear of being thrown WAY out someplace... alone.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
Something I've noticed a lot in this so far have been a great deal of punitive measures taken to enforce the setting - to make the night more dangerous, to punish certain behaviours and such like.  I also saw an incentive to empower evil roleplay - I fear I disagree with that, as its fundamentally unfair and extremely prone to exploitation, but it 'did' bring up an idea of trying to find a way that doesn't punish behaviour, but instead encourages certain types of behaviour instead.

How do we do this?  I'm not sure.  I do however know a few downsides to punishing over rewarding.  We've got a lot of new characters, a lot of new players.  Some aspects of server culture have changed over time or been discarded, and some others have been forgotten.  A lot of people however don't know the secrets, tricks and knacks and a fair few struggle to get moving along.

A lot of the changes proposed would punish these people starting out.  When one speaks from a position of experience, its easy enough to forget the trouble those without that experience can have.  It can be dissuading and for a lot of folks either just starting out, or even starting a new character, getting thoroughly stomped on for not knowing the ins and outs of the place does nothing to encourage people to keep playing.  Sometimes it doesn't take very much at all.

Punishment can do little except create an alienated, adverse reaction, especially when the individual being admonished isn't quite sure what they did except 'be out at night'.  As it stands it can be plenty scary enough as it is!  But just because its no longer scary at level 10 or higher doesn't mean the level 2 isn't still being punished by what you can now survive.  You have to keep the little guy in mind, like you'd have wanted for yourself at that time.

So, instead, on top of Cassius's and Erebus's suggestions, I have a few more ideas, some of them outside the box, for the purpose of encouraging player driven roleplay, that revolve around the concept of rewarding rather than punishing. 

1.  Tagging Tool. 
This one I'm not so sure how to implement, but it would be using a tool on the hotbar to tag another player.  When tagged, there would be a range of options to come up, that would then flag in the DM channel.  The flag would then have a description on it like so - 'Player A has tagged Player B for Atmospheric Roleplay' or 'Good PvP conduct' or something along those lines.  The DM would have to observe the behaviour, and oversee it.  If they don't see anything or enough to warrant further, they can then ignore it.  The tag itself would have a cooldown of 60 real life minutes, to prevent spamming.  But if it brings to the attention of a DM who may or may not be watching (as always, there will be no direct indication of DM presence) then the DM in question may reward the tagged player. 

This does not leave rewarding in the hands of the player.  Its purely in the hands of the DM watching, and the reward given may be either xp or some other manner of reward that is at the DM's discretion - even a bit of NPC interaction might well be all that is needed.  But it is an ever present incentive to players to play at their best, to improve themselves, to push their roleplay harder for the notion of a reward that they know to exist.  As it remains in DM hands and the DM's have shown themselves to be highly discretionary, it remains out of the reach of exploitation, but it 'does' give some perhaps unsung stars a chance to shine.

2.  Expanding Factions.

This isn't meant as a disrespect to our current factions - I have a lot of love for them, but I also think we need to expand on a few things to give players some new or seldom used options that can offer new incentives in roleplay.  I also recommend it for the fact our player base is much larger than it was only a short while ago, and as it is larger there are far more openings for different factions.  This part here is probably one of the biggest ones in terms of work required and I'm well aware of that - but it once established much of it is self governing, and interfactional conflict is often its own reward.  Now, this does create issues in that faction conflict may or may not be something outright desired by the team, but if it is an option, then there are quite a few things we can look at.  Some ideas for factions, and what they would require, I'll list below -

-Red Wizards of Hazlan.
This one is honestly pretty much already done.  The work on this faction has been consistent and lengthy and they deserve to be recognised as an official faction at this point.  Best of all they probably require the least amount of Dev work to be established.  They have their base, they have all they need to function already in place.  It might as well be legitimate.

-Lawgivers of Hazlan.
Not too sure how much more work this would require, but its a group that could rise up with the Red Wizards, working in both collusion and conflict with them, much like most of the other factions.  Truth be told most factions do not function unless they have something to bounce off of, in concert or conflict.

-Rebels of Hazlan.
This one is work intensive.  It would need a base of operations, codification of its membership and roles.  Possible thoughts would be a 'underground railroad' for the purpose of finding and rescuing non human slaves, getting them out of Hazlan or teaching them to fight back themselves.  It would be a struggle and in a very difficult position, but it would give players opposed to the Red Wizards a base of operation, and something for the Red Wizards and the Lawgivers to strive against directly, adding an element of danger to each of the factions if either one becomes good at what they do.

-Wardens of Barovia.
This faction would exist for the purpose of being direct agents of the Count - either for Strahd himself or those who exist below him.  Human agents who fulfil his will, hunting down existing bounties that might exist outside of Vallaki (if they warrant interest).  This faction would operate in any and all of the areas of Barovia, and be a danger to those that think they are out of reach of punishment.

-Degannwy, Dvergheim.
These factions probably are much like the Red Wizards faction, in that making them official and supported is somewhat overdue.  Giving them a codified, solid position as factions would work by giving them roles and responsibilities;  the dwarves could do with a formal ranking system due to their lawful nature, that could create leaders and workers amongst them.  Elves, being more chaotic, would fit roles suitable to their classes - arcanists, nature protectors, soldiers, etc.  By giving them something more formal they can create amongst themselves a set of faction orientated goals.  This would require little Dev work overall - most of what they need already exists, and frankly they can already function.  A bit more formality to it would give each faction structure.

-Gundarak Rebels.
I truly want to see this one happen, but the circumstances of it happening are extremely work intensive, and thus it is moved more into the 'wish' territory of things.  The only way I see this faction working properly is if it has a place to set itself that the work of Vallaki garda cannot get to it, at least not in any way easily.  The logical place to put it is where the main source of them comes from in the lore - in Zeidenburg.  In order to do that, the city needs to be added in game, and it is, by lore, a very large place indeed.  This would change the fabric of the landscape of Barovia considerably, maybe too much.  But it would also give intercity/interfactional conflict a possibility while also providing what the Red Wizards proved so incredibly important to their creation and stability, a relatively safe base of operations for them to stage out of.  But the dev work required is huge, a city with dungeons also attached is no small order, not by a long shot.

-Alanik Ray's Detective Agency.
This one is a little out there.  But I would like to see a good aligned investigative faction in Port, a sort of partnership to the Wayfarers, but operating independently from them, in a rather more international sense.  It does not of course need to be Alanik's, but could in fact be a result of player and DM partnered driven initiative.  But a rather more openly good aligned faction in Port (like how the Wayfarers and Morninglordians are in Barovia) could be an interesting balance against the suggested evil factions listed above.

-The Kargat.
This one is out there, and very much a difficult one, but its one that I also really like the idea of.  Monsters, working as part of Azalin's secret police, operating in various locales of the server, gathering information, acquiring knowledge and acting as spies, disruptors, and adversaries for the server at large.  Weeded out by the application process to prevent them becoming too much of a problem, players can be recruited into their number as MPC's.  This one would need some oversight, and would need a lair as well that they can use - them and them alone.  I'd probably suggest a travel NPC that only they can use that can take them to where they need to go.  But a perpetual monster faction 'could' prove exciting.  They come into existence in a small number and for the achieving of objectives in their six month period, before fading out once more.  It would not of course -have- to be the only choice for AMPC's and such, but giving them a stable base to set out from gives them a grounding of objectives and factional basis that allows for a self perpetuating story that the server can only grow from.

I understand most of these ideas are just that, ideas.  They require work in all aspects of the server - a more codified lore, dev work, DM attention, and more.  By absolutely no means would I expect to see all of them implemented, I'd be happy to see even two of them make it in, but I listed the suggestions to give some ideas of what could be the most interesting, the most fun, and the best at giving players something new to work with that they haven't yet experienced before.

3.  A new, expansive and helpful write up of the server, for the purpose of expectation management.

This one is sort of self explanatory, but only sort of.  I believe what would be very helpful for players is a single thread that covers everything currently in the FAQ, but also some new, helpful suggestions for people, and a mission statement of expectations from the DM's to the Players in terms of what they hope, but not demand, that the players do.  Examples being:

The correct circumstances that warrant a server reset.
The sort of thing a player should and should not put in their player description.
Realistic expectations of playing a certain alignment on the server.
Realistic expectations of playing an AMPC or MPC on the server.
Encouragement of atmospheric roleplay, and the importance of respecting the setting.
Why and how closure is encouraged.
How DM's would prefer to be interacted with by the player base.
How the player base should treat one another, both directly and indirectly.
How the passing of time works, how real world and in game languages work,
etc.

A sort of guide that goes beyond the mechanical to the server, and more of an explanation of some realistic expectations of the player base.  A lot of this stuff is probably obvious to folks on the team, but that doesn't mean that its obvious to the player base at times, especially new players who are not sure where to look or find this sort of thing, or worse, are basing their behaviour or methods in these fields and others because of erroneous information passed down second hand or from other server practices.  Clarity is always a good thing, while maintaining the necessary levels of opaque information that is required for the server as well.  Gathering this information however, can both clear things up for a players on an ooc level while gently promoting certain things, behaviour, and methods of roleplay in character, which in turn would foster self driving roleplay.

I might add to this whole thing, and it may well get torn to bits, but this is purely just idea spam.  Hope it helps.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
Spoiler: show
Something I've noticed a lot in this so far have been a great deal of punitive measures taken to enforce the setting - to make the night more dangerous, to punish certain behaviours and such like.  I also saw an incentive to empower evil roleplay - I fear I disagree with that, as its fundamentally unfair and extremely prone to exploitation, but it 'did' bring up an idea of trying to find a way that doesn't punish behaviour, but instead encourages certain types of behaviour instead.

How do we do this?  I'm not sure.  I do however know a few downsides to punishing over rewarding.  We've got a lot of new characters, a lot of new players.  Some aspects of server culture have changed over time or been discarded, and some others have been forgotten.  A lot of people however don't know the secrets, tricks and knacks and a fair few struggle to get moving along.

A lot of the changes proposed would punish these people starting out.  When one speaks from a position of experience, its easy enough to forget the trouble those without that experience can have.  It can be dissuading and for a lot of folks either just starting out, or even starting a new character, getting thoroughly stomped on for not knowing the ins and outs of the place does nothing to encourage people to keep playing.  Sometimes it doesn't take very much at all.

Punishment can do little except create an alienated, adverse reaction, especially when the individual being admonished isn't quite sure what they did except 'be out at night'.  As it stands it can be plenty scary enough as it is!  But just because its no longer scary at level 10 or higher doesn't mean the level 2 isn't still being punished by what you can now survive.  You have to keep the little guy in mind, like you'd have wanted for yourself at that time.

So, instead, on top of Cassius's and Erebus's suggestions, I have a few more ideas, some of them outside the box, for the purpose of encouraging player driven roleplay, that revolve around the concept of rewarding rather than punishing. 

1.  Tagging Tool. 
This one I'm not so sure how to implement, but it would be using a tool on the hotbar to tag another player.  When tagged, there would be a range of options to come up, that would then flag in the DM channel.  The flag would then have a description on it like so - 'Player A has tagged Player B for Atmospheric Roleplay' or 'Good PvP conduct' or something along those lines.  The DM would have to observe the behaviour, and oversee it.  If they don't see anything or enough to warrant further, they can then ignore it.  The tag itself would have a cooldown of 60 real life minutes, to prevent spamming.  But if it brings to the attention of a DM who may or may not be watching (as always, there will be no direct indication of DM presence) then the DM in question may reward the tagged player. 

This does not leave rewarding in the hands of the player.  Its purely in the hands of the DM watching, and the reward given may be either xp or some other manner of reward that is at the DM's discretion - even a bit of NPC interaction might well be all that is needed.  But it is an ever present incentive to players to play at their best, to improve themselves, to push their roleplay harder for the notion of a reward that they know to exist.  As it remains in DM hands and the DM's have shown themselves to be highly discretionary, it remains out of the reach of exploitation, but it 'does' give some perhaps unsung stars a chance to shine.

2.  Expanding Factions.

This isn't meant as a disrespect to our current factions - I have a lot of love for them, but I also think we need to expand on a few things to give players some new or seldom used options that can offer new incentives in roleplay.  I also recommend it for the fact our player base is much larger than it was only a short while ago, and as it is larger there are far more openings for different factions.  This part here is probably one of the biggest ones in terms of work required and I'm well aware of that - but it once established much of it is self governing, and interfactional conflict is often its own reward.  Now, this does create issues in that faction conflict may or may not be something outright desired by the team, but if it is an option, then there are quite a few things we can look at.  Some ideas for factions, and what they would require, I'll list below -

-Red Wizards of Hazlan.
This one is honestly pretty much already done.  The work on this faction has been consistent and lengthy and they deserve to be recognised as an official faction at this point.  Best of all they probably require the least amount of Dev work to be established.  They have their base, they have all they need to function already in place.  It might as well be legitimate.

-Lawgivers of Hazlan.
Not too sure how much more work this would require, but its a group that could rise up with the Red Wizards, working in both collusion and conflict with them, much like most of the other factions.  Truth be told most factions do not function unless they have something to bounce off of, in concert or conflict.

-Rebels of Hazlan.
This one is work intensive.  It would need a base of operations, codification of its membership and roles.  Possible thoughts would be a 'underground railroad' for the purpose of finding and rescuing non human slaves, getting them out of Hazlan or teaching them to fight back themselves.  It would be a struggle and in a very difficult position, but it would give players opposed to the Red Wizards a base of operation, and something for the Red Wizards and the Lawgivers to strive against directly, adding an element of danger to each of the factions if either one becomes good at what they do.

-Wardens of Barovia.
This faction would exist for the purpose of being direct agents of the Count - either for Strahd himself or those who exist below him.  Human agents who fulfil his will, hunting down existing bounties that might exist outside of Vallaki (if they warrant interest).  This faction would operate in any and all of the areas of Barovia, and be a danger to those that think they are out of reach of punishment.

-Degannwy, Dvergheim.
These factions probably are much like the Red Wizards faction, in that making them official and supported is somewhat overdue.  Giving them a codified, solid position as factions would work by giving them roles and responsibilities;  the dwarves could do with a formal ranking system due to their lawful nature, that could create leaders and workers amongst them.  Elves, being more chaotic, would fit roles suitable to their classes - arcanists, nature protectors, soldiers, etc.  By giving them something more formal they can create amongst themselves a set of faction orientated goals.  This would require little Dev work overall - most of what they need already exists, and frankly they can already function.  A bit more formality to it would give each faction structure.

-Gundarak Rebels.
I truly want to see this one happen, but the circumstances of it happening are extremely work intensive, and thus it is moved more into the 'wish' territory of things.  The only way I see this faction working properly is if it has a place to set itself that the work of Vallaki garda cannot get to it, at least not in any way easily.  The logical place to put it is where the main source of them comes from in the lore - in Zeidenburg.  In order to do that, the city needs to be added in game, and it is, by lore, a very large place indeed.  This would change the fabric of the landscape of Barovia considerably, maybe too much.  But it would also give intercity/interfactional conflict a possibility while also providing what the Red Wizards proved so incredibly important to their creation and stability, a relatively safe base of operations for them to stage out of.  But the dev work required is huge, a city with dungeons also attached is no small order, not by a long shot.

-Alanik Ray's Detective Agency.
This one is a little out there.  But I would like to see a good aligned investigative faction in Port, a sort of partnership to the Wayfarers, but operating independently from them, in a rather more international sense.  It does not of course need to be Alanik's, but could in fact be a result of player and DM partnered driven initiative.  But a rather more openly good aligned faction in Port (like how the Wayfarers and Morninglordians are in Barovia) could be an interesting balance against the suggested evil factions listed above.

-The Kargat.
This one is out there, and very much a difficult one, but its one that I also really like the idea of.  Monsters, working as part of Azalin's secret police, operating in various locales of the server, gathering information, acquiring knowledge and acting as spies, disruptors, and adversaries for the server at large.  Weeded out by the application process to prevent them becoming too much of a problem, players can be recruited into their number as MPC's.  This one would need some oversight, and would need a lair as well that they can use - them and them alone.  I'd probably suggest a travel NPC that only they can use that can take them to where they need to go.  But a perpetual monster faction 'could' prove exciting.  They come into existence in a small number and for the achieving of objectives in their six month period, before fading out once more.  It would not of course -have- to be the only choice for AMPC's and such, but giving them a stable base to set out from gives them a grounding of objectives and factional basis that allows for a self perpetuating story that the server can only grow from.

I understand most of these ideas are just that, ideas.  They require work in all aspects of the server - a more codified lore, dev work, DM attention, and more.  By absolutely no means would I expect to see all of them implemented, I'd be happy to see even two of them make it in, but I listed the suggestions to give some ideas of what could be the most interesting, the most fun, and the best at giving players something new to work with that they haven't yet experienced before.

3.  A new, expansive and helpful write up of the server, for the purpose of expectation management.

This one is sort of self explanatory, but only sort of.  I believe what would be very helpful for players is a single thread that covers everything currently in the FAQ, but also some new, helpful suggestions for people, and a mission statement of expectations from the DM's to the Players in terms of what they hope, but not demand, that the players do.  Examples being:

The correct circumstances that warrant a server reset.
The sort of thing a player should and should not put in their player description.
Realistic expectations of playing a certain alignment on the server.
Realistic expectations of playing an AMPC or MPC on the server.
Encouragement of atmospheric roleplay, and the importance of respecting the setting.
Why and how closure is encouraged.
How DM's would prefer to be interacted with by the player base.
How the player base should treat one another, both directly and indirectly.
How the passing of time works, how real world and in game languages work,
etc.

A sort of guide that goes beyond the mechanical to the server, and more of an explanation of some realistic expectations of the player base.  A lot of this stuff is probably obvious to folks on the team, but that doesn't mean that its obvious to the player base at times, especially new players who are not sure where to look or find this sort of thing, or worse, are basing their behaviour or methods in these fields and others because of erroneous information passed down second hand or from other server practices.  Clarity is always a good thing, while maintaining the necessary levels of opaque information that is required for the server as well.  Gathering this information however, can both clear things up for a players on an ooc level while gently promoting certain things, behaviour, and methods of roleplay in character, which in turn would foster self driving roleplay.

I might add to this whole thing, and it may well get torn to bits, but this is purely just idea spam.  Hope it helps.

Several of those ideas could be entire topics into themselves, Nem :)

EO created this thread in response to the Dev poll, however, and so I think we should limit what we talk about to Dev systems to facilitate player-driven RP. The punitive measures, you allude to, for example are by definition not to facilitate but rather discourage. Moreover, enforcing the rules is really more of a DM concern, and so something like the tagging system should be a tool DMs (not players) might request (or say they really don't want players to have).

More factions...assuming they would need bases, that's probably your idea requiring Dev work the most.

Perhaps I'm interpreting this subject too narrowly, but I assume what EO wants us to talk about are things that can be scripted or otherwise implemented by the Development Team that would give us more agency and options in our RP.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
The final option, sure, but as stated in the topic, its a feature, not a system.  A feature of the server, on an ooc level, that nevertheless requires work from the team to fill out properly.

The rest of the options all require systems of implementation, coding, and building.  However, I am afraid you completely misread what I said about punitive measures.  As I said, other people have suggested such, and I made my suggestions to move away from punishment and instead chose a route of rewarding players for 'good' behaviour rather than punishing for bad behaviour.  The tag option gives that, but does not automate it.  It simply flags and puts a flag in the DM channel for DM's to see to act on as they see fit.  As its a system, I felt it warranted mentioning.

As for the rest, all official factions require development work.  Its the main thing that is needed for any supported faction - the creation of a base, the NPC's, the keys and locks required, and all the coding involved for creation of ranks and dialogue choices besides that allow for the faction to work smoothly.  As such, they are fully within the purview of the Dev team, while also needing DM support.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Yeah, to be clear, all permanent changes to the module are the purview of developers, not DMs.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master

I firmly believe the #1 reason people hang out in the Outskirts at night is on the off chance that an MPC or DM event designed to 'scare them off will occur.
Harder and more frequent monsters may just make it more appealing, because they're juicy XP nuggets at the end.
A sort of existential, undetectable threat would ameliorate that of course, but, for me.. players should never be presented with something they can't beat. Make it hard, even really hard.. but not unwinnable.
For me, the best way to keep indoors ar night, is to make the indoors more appealing than outdoors.

I think this is a good idea to bring back that atmosphere of the outskirts.

I think that granting high level RP XP to faction bases or other areas within the city of Vallaki (pubs, bookstore, etc) would do this as well. High level chars will go where the XP is and many low level chars will follow them.

Do both, remove skirts XP and reinstate high level XP (reduced or not) in a dozen select locations within the city and see if it incentivizes action that is desired. 

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
I'm more or less in agreement with the idea of re-instating  RP XP to higher level characters in places such as Faction Bases.  That being said, on my characters I go to where the people I want to RP with are at any given moment.  Whether I get RP XP or not is entirely irrelevant, and the lack of it in no way incentivizes me to stay out of "low level" areas.  I'm pretty confident that I'm not the only player who feels this way, and thus I'd like to see how the system works be entirely reviewed, personally.  It's always seemed odd to me that punishing roleplay on a roleplay server is one of the methods used to try and distribute high level characters elsewhere when it doesn't seem to actually have the desired effect.

That being said, more specifically, I'd love if POTM could create or adopt one of the systems already available to allow the dyeing of individual pieces of armor.  This would open up a huge amount of customization for people without having to add additional armor appearances through HAKS.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power

That being said, more specifically, I'd love if POTM could create or adopt one of the systems already available to allow the dyeing of individual pieces of armor.  This would open up a huge amount of customization for people without having to add additional armor appearances through HAKS.

+1 says the proud owner of newly enchanted armor :)

Iyer

• Outlander
+5! Individual armor piece dying would be a game changer when it comes to bringing your character to life the way that you imagine them.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
+5! Individual armor piece dying would be a game changer when it comes to bringing your character to life the way that you imagine them.

As interesting as that is that falls under more options to customize your character, which was the third or fourth most popular option on the poll. Let's focus for now on the number one since we have limited development time and resources.

Iyer

• Outlander
I understand.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
Some immediate thoughts to bring characters together -

:arrow: Further development on current "static quest system" that require adventuring parties and centralizing the current bounties/item fetch tasks. This might include:
 - A quest log
 - Made more 'offiical' and visible to adventuring parties; NPCs or boards highlight high-strength dungeons or locales and add to quest log if undertaken
 - Resolution of quest triggers level-dependent experience reward, which may include interacting with something, obtaining an item, defeating a monster.

:arrow: In-game message boards persisting across resets to replace bundles of parchment or fliers. May include limitations to avoid spam, e.g. timed durations, one-per-character.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable

I believe there's a lot of truth here.

But also, I don't think you should let the prospect of players overcoming evil DM spawns deter you from spicing things up a little bit in the unexpected night encounters department.  A sense of not knowing what's going to happen adds enormously to the horror and suspense aspects imo.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:09:30 AM by Dud_Goose »
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
My suggestion is to revise the roleplay experience restrictions currently in place on faction areas. This would encourage faction growth and reward individuals who remain within a faction longer and dedicate their time toward strengthening the plot-driven elements of Vallaki.

The restrictions as they are encourage server migration but that is not an option that is applicable to all concepts. It feels punishing that the Ste. Mere des Larmes receives full consideration for experience, while the Refuge of the Fifth Light does not. We should encourage any location that generates positive, setting-centric roleplay for the server rather than reward primarily based on migration and adventure.

Some example of faction areas that would benefit...
Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Refuge of the Fifth Light
Redoubtable Chapel
Vallaki Slums Morninglord Sanctuary
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

I may be missing some less known factions on this list, but they would be included as well. I have listed the more public areas where available because the goal is to encourage people to participate in open roleplay rather than exclusive that would put us behind plot doors.

Yes! Plus Degannwy and Wachter estate. I'd go as far as to suggest all of Krofburg to encourage folk to focus on stories there instead of leveling out of Vallaki and heading straight over to Mist Camp or Port Lucine. Appeal to different playstyles while rewarding those who primarily pursue roleplay.

Dextan

• Outlander
Some sort of XP scale related to your investment into factions/rp project.

it could be in the form of an application you make or something like that... 

I don't know... pushing people to put more efforts into long term faction rp, creating factions and such, opposing to pure grind?

A man: ''Gosh what are you eating?''
Dextan: ''My last kill... ?''
A man: ''But its a SPIDER!''
Dextan: ''Your right... should started with the head''