You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestions - Systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven RP  (Read 13331 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Following our 2019 poll to know the community's preferences in terms of development, the most popular option has been Adding more systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven roleplay. Now that's a pretty wide category and it's hard to pinpoint clearly what that entails.

As such, could you share with us which systems/features would facilitate individual player-driven roleplay? The only limitation, as per our rules, is that we do not add unique areas for specific players or non-official factions (ie: your PC won't get his own individual shop) since these tend to then linger in the module long after the player/group has left and creates a chaotic environment. Aside from that, we're all ears.

Dante101

• Undead Slayer
One thing I'd love to see is a tool provided to player driven factions where they can save their work / placeables in an area. This way when the server resets (as it has on a near daily basis recently), they don't need to spend literal hours resetting craftable placeables to facilitate RP.

This could be a tool that's applied for.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
As I find AMPCs are excellent agents for accomplishing player-driven roleplay, I think additional AMPC templates would be a flexible, incremental, and scalable means of addressing this choice. Because AMPCs mulst also go through an application approval, the player-driven roleplay will still be easily moderated and kept in alignment with the server's overall goals, preferences, and balance.

Several players have mentioned hags as an even more specific suggestion.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
- A big one for me would be: RP item creation, i.e. being able to craft booze with customly named bottles , food, or just general items with custom bios + names. (Obviously they can't make any claims of possessing properties or powers they do not have).

- I also agree that more AMPC variation would be nice and believe the Death Knight ( as discussed here: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=48766.msg601458#msg601458 ) would make a good addition.

lilyatrix

• Undead Slayer
One thing I'd love to see is a tool provided to player driven factions where they can save their work / placeables in an area. This way when the server resets (as it has on a near daily basis recently), they don't need to spend literal hours resetting craftable placeables to facilitate RP.

This could be a tool that's applied for.

+1 to this. As someone who has been trying to make things each reset in a location, this would be really handy. It's so tedious trying to remember where things go.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Cooking ideas:

I’d like to see a simple customizable food option. For cooking. It could work like the blank paper and quill, but instead you could use a frying pan and maybe a misc item called “Ingredients”.  You would write on the ingredients to name and give description to the food item.

-or-

It would be cool if you could throw pretty much any food item existing into that placeable soup pot, and turn it into soup. I.e. rations, meat, turnips etc. as long as the pot is close to a fireplace/campfire/stove.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
How about an apprenticing sub-system for the crafting system to help and encourage characters to learn from experienced crafters? Perhaps have a master and apprentice flag each other or just award bonus crafting exp if rping while a higher ranking crafter is nearby while you work (Or rather a person with higher crafting levels rping with a crafter with a lower crafting level while one or both are practicing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:14:58 PM by RedwizardD »

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Making placeables persistent across resets, however with degrading health the longer they go without upkeep. If the server is intended to be able to be up for at least a week without a reset currently, I don't see why allowing placeables to have a 7-day IRL timer on them wouldn't be kosher. Then people can have faction bases or chairs built in specific areas for up to a week, as they would be able to normally under the optimal conditions of the server and abandoned placeables that only serve to degrade server performance self-clean themselves.

Just make them come back with a carpentry kit and some wood to restore the HP of the chair, each day it loses some, or whatever. I think that would make a lot of people happy, and make Carpentry far more popular than the gimmick it is now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:24:38 PM by BraveSirRobin »

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
I would like to see more areas in Vallaki and Port-a-Lucine designed for the purpose of being rented out by their respective guard factions. I don't believe Dementlieu has any at the moment, and the ones in Vallaki tend to be destitute which limits the potential. This has always generated role-play for both guards, the ambitious renter, and those they might involve in the endeavor. The areas could be built on one map for each and just connected throughout the doors of the city to lessen the footprint on server resources. That they are rentals and controlled by the guard factions would allow for turn-over rather than stagnation.

A message board system might be fun. I would even prefer the message board be a persistent storage where the letters are placed inside, so people go over and read them instead of click from a distance. It would feel more engaging, if even a small change.

Cooking options would also be good, as mentioned above. It doesn't feel like something that needs a large system attached to it since there's no mechanical benefit. It seems like a lot of work re-tagging all the food items out there to work with a script, so it might just be best to sell 'meal starter' or something that can be written on with a quill and renamed. You could do poor, average, and exceptional starters to speak of ingredient quality and cost.

The ability for the guard factions to check the OCR of a character for the purpose of roleplay responses and general demeanor, be it positive or negative. Something to make reactions more consistent across the board, benefiting the caliban who invest in having positive town relations, and acknowledging those with astronomical OCR who stand out of Radu's perceptions in the Outskirts. It should only return OCR checks from Dementlieu and Barovia exclusively, per the faction.

Consider adding the Prestidigitation spell with the description amended to what can be done in game without the creation element. Just something to provide roleplay for wizard that comes out from a fray looking pristine, or minor endeavors to add that convenience element to magic that makes it stand out a little more above the mundane. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
Tools of Villainy in general i feel will be to the benefit of both our villains and the heros to bring them down. AMPC templates are the big one, though I feel systems that would allow even PC villains to be more purposefully antagonistic are even more valuable.

For example, I think a nuisance we are facing when no DM is available is that conflict can only be resolved with the engine as a "fair" judge by bringing a character's HP to 0; thus if an antagonist has won a fight against say... a dangerous wizard, there is no way for them to RP their victory and perhaps a kidnapping without the constant fear of getting Finger of Death'd in one round even by a beaten 1 HP victim. Of course ideally the players trust each other and just have good RP; in this example the villain has already shown willingness to spare the victim in favour of RP, but experience has taught me that trust is a very fickle thing when we are dealing with characters nursed by months of work and any solid aid of it is very welcome.

The dev team will obviously debate this and have their opinion on it - perhaps there is an angle about my suggestion that I do not see that would decrease quality of RP or enable griefing, but I think it would be a very good thing to have a non-lethal way of conflict resolution (or at least stalling) that is anchored in our engine, to defuse the general threat of sudden death that in my opinion is the main root of red=dead in our tense encounters apart from greed for glory.

My suggestion is a version of our garda shackles that can be applied by any PC to an unconcious (subdued or bleeding) character as a complex action that needs a moment of standing still and watching an animation, to render them harmless once they stand up again. A rope - tie. The victim could perhaps free themselves with a good sleight of hand roll with an auto success on a 20, but the perpetrator would have a chance to spot the attempt. This way the forced "timeout" can't be permanent without oversight.

I actually do not wish to derail the thread with this very specific idea, so keep that in mind if you are reading, but to demonstrate that my idea of "features that facilitate individual player-driven RP" are tools like this. Engine gadgets that are applied with the goal to smooth out the bumps where gameyness sometimes dictates our RP to a degree that at present would make DM oversight necessary/favourable if we are hoping for the same result of a scene.

A good example that we did already apply is the carpentry system. Marks are nice, but I think it's clear that the ability to place Cheval de frises adds a lot to our ability of roleplaying road barricades etc.
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

Iyer

• Outlander
What about a version of an ampc, but instead of using a template, you stick with base races while sharing the same tools, like ampc gear, and @voice command. Not all villains are monster. A player would still have to file an application and follow the same rules of having an ampc. I think bypassing the early stages of leveling for the propose of story driven to for the sake of others would be kinda cool.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Lightweaver hit a lot of points for things I'd like to see as well.  I think the option of rentable locations in other major cities/towns is a big one because it will naturally draw in more traffic for player driven RP stuff, and getting more traffic flowing around the server rather than simply clumped in 2 main areas is a good thing.

foxtale's suggestion is also a good one.  Having a way to essentially "force" a subdued state rather than killing someone outright would likely go at least somewhat toward curbing the exceedingly aggressive state of PvP currently.  It'd definitely have to be done in a way that limits the potential for exploit, but that's the case with most things.

I'd really like to see things that make it easier for players to create on the server.  Whether this be placeables, more RP oriented crafting such as cooking, all the way to things like owning proper business or merchant stalls.  POTM is a big server, but one of the gripes I often hear is that the world can feel stagnant and unmoving/changing.  I know that broadly speaking the DMs are hesitant to do anything too world changing to the setting, but perhaps allowing players to be able to make their own relatively personal, small impact changes could be the compromise to this.

Also, actual in-game message boards would be nice.  And in addition to that, an in-game postal system.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:45:33 PM by FinalHeaven »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
Along with the Hag template and Death Knight template (and possibly other AMPC templates), I'd like to bring back these suggestions from another thread, which map to some of the current suggestions, but also recall the server's setting:

I think things that would benefit AMPCs are less about their mechanical survival, and offering them more tools for story telling, scene setting, and autonomy without DMs. I personally would love to see, and I've tossed around these ideas before:

- A tool, similar in design to the portable bench for carpenters, to allow AMPCS to create placeables for scenes. Blood, corpses, bones, and placeables like candles, runes. Ideally, being able to set both useable and non-useable placeables, and having the option of re-writing their descriptions like signs and notes would be great. Write some good guidelines on the tool / for MPCs so they don't get carried away and we're golden.

- AMPCs to have the ability to create their own henchman, rather than be specifically tied to the locations and spawns on the server to grab them and smuggle. A basic idea would be a noncombat, limited used command (Rest menu or linked through the target: other commands) that spawns a 'monsterous wight, ghoul, vampire, etc' for your appropriate template and an averaged difficulty.

- More areas, specifically things like extra dead-end parts of dungeons, secret transitions, non-linear places to be explored. Add some scripted maneuvering like secret tight spaces, leaps, or climbing discover-able with search would be cool too.

- More dynamic caves that are 'far' away, that only cycle between possible AMPC templates

Although I'm not opposed to any development that gives players a greater chance to express their PCs in creative RP and story-telling, given that Dev time is a limited resource and we all have to share the same server space, I would prioritize tools that most reinforce Gothic Horror.

Cassius

• Developers
  • Dark Power
My suggestion is to revise the roleplay experience restrictions currently in place on faction areas. This would encourage faction growth and reward individuals who remain within a faction longer and dedicate their time toward strengthening the plot-driven elements of Vallaki.

The restrictions as they are encourage server migration but that is not an option that is applicable to all concepts. It feels punishing that the Ste. Mere des Larmes receives full consideration for experience, while the Refuge of the Fifth Light does not. We should encourage any location that generates positive, setting-centric roleplay for the server rather than reward primarily based on migration and adventure.

Some example of faction areas that would benefit...
Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Refuge of the Fifth Light
Redoubtable Chapel
Vallaki Slums Morninglord Sanctuary
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

I may be missing some less known factions on this list, but they would be included as well. I have listed the more public areas where available because the goal is to encourage people to participate in open roleplay rather than exclusive that would put us behind plot doors.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
My suggestion is to revise the roleplay experience restrictions currently in place on faction areas. This would encourage faction growth and reward individuals who remain within a faction longer and dedicate their time toward strengthening the plot-driven elements of Vallaki.

The restrictions as they are encourage server migration but that is not an option that is applicable to all concepts. It feels punishing that the Ste. Mere des Larmes receives full consideration for experience, while the Refuge of the Fifth Light does not. We should encourage any location that generates positive, setting-centric roleplay for the server rather than reward primarily based on migration and adventure.

Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Redoubtable Chapel
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

I may be missing some less known factions on this list, but they would be included as well. I have listed the more public areas where available because the goal is to encourage people to participate in open roleplay rather than exclusive that would put us behind plot doors.

+1

And adding the Broken Bell Theatre area.

My PC *does* get XP in the BB, so this isn't a mention from self-interest alone. But keeping other PCs motivated there has been pretty difficult without constant DM attention. New players are still busy discovering the server, and older PCs looking for something to do still want to get XP. So they don't like to get tied into long rehearsals and plays that give 0 XP.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power

Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Redoubtable Chapel
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

+1

And adding the Broken Bell Theatre area.

My PC *does* get XP in the BB, so this isn't a mention from self-interest alone. But keeping other PCs motivated there has been pretty difficult without constant DM attention. New players are still busy discovering the server, and older PCs looking for something to do still want to get XP. So they don't like to get tied into long rehearsals and plays that give 0 XP.

I couldn’t +1 this any harder. Well said.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Master-Apprentice system for crafting

Expanded MPC functionality; in-area PC locating, salient abilities and scene dressing (blood splats, etc)

New MPC templates: Hag, Death Knight, Fiend (AMPC only) and Ghost (AMPC only)

OCR examination and modification tool for PC Guards (Vallaki, Gendarme and Krofburg)

Enhanced RPXP progression in Faction locations

Reduced RPXP progression in the Western Outskirts

Layman boards for the Church of the Morninglord and Church of Ezra Factions

Long-term lets at the Bluewater and Blood O' the Vine Inns

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
I would like to see more areas in Vallaki and Port-a-Lucine designed for the purpose of being rented out by their respective guard factions. I don't believe Dementlieu has any at the moment, and the ones in Vallaki tend to be destitute which limits the potential. This has always generated role-play for both guards, the ambitious renter, and those they might involve in the endeavor. The areas could be built on one map for each and just connected throughout the doors of the city to lessen the footprint on server resources. That they are rentals and controlled by the guard factions would allow for turn-over rather than stagnation.

A message board system might be fun. I would even prefer the message board be a persistent storage where the letters are placed inside, so people go over and read them instead of click from a distance. It would feel more engaging, if even a small change.

Cooking options would also be good, as mentioned above. It doesn't feel like something that needs a large system attached to it since there's no mechanical benefit. It seems like a lot of work re-tagging all the food items out there to work with a script, so it might just be best to sell 'meal starter' or something that can be written on with a quill and renamed. You could do poor, average, and exceptional starters to speak of ingredient quality and cost.

The ability for the guard factions to check the OCR of a character for the purpose of roleplay responses and general demeanor, be it positive or negative. Something to make reactions more consistent across the board, benefiting the caliban who invest in having positive town relations, and acknowledging those with astronomical OCR who stand out of Radu's perceptions in the Outskirts. It should only return OCR checks from Dementlieu and Barovia exclusively, per the faction.

Consider adding the Prestidigitation spell with the description amended to what can be done in game without the creation element. Just something to provide roleplay for wizard that comes out from a fray looking pristine, or minor endeavors to add that convenience element to magic that makes it stand out a little more above the mundane. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm

I'm on board with all of this. Especially given that in places like Dementlieu, there are several characters -- who remaining unnamed -- have over the years received extraordinarily large OCR hits in the domain for criminal activities, making them persona non grata to the locals. This makes it so that when they enter the City, they are hounded by all the NPCs to leave -- For the fact that they are guilty of some public atrocity or an infamous reputation. However, to Gendarmes and Players alike, there is no way for us to differentiate on this mechanic that is intended to enforce the setting surrounding black sheep characters and outlaws. I would even go so far as to elaborate that an option be added to the Faction Tool, that will allow us to see some measure of interpretation of their OCR, and perhaps a sub-note of sorts to define why their OCR is so high.

For example? Say someone has a lot of RDD or PM levels, and has not purchased Influence gear or somesuch to cover them sufficiently, and they run through the City. They could perhaps be interpreted as monstrously ugly, unsettling, some sort of suspected Caliban, what-have-you. Flavor text for each domain. I would go so far as to extend this from just factions to natives in their own domain. A Barovian in Barovia would have the ability to see why someone would be considered persona non grata to them, just like an NPC would, or a Dementlieuse in Dementlieu could do the same. If someone was high OCR in Barovia or Dementlieu due to criminal infractions/infamous reputation, they would likely be well-connected enough to their local rumour mills to go, "Oh, they're telling him to go away because that man is a known murderer!" Or they're particularly infamous for a specific event, "Shot a man for his last glass of whiskey in the Mutinied Sailor," so on, to be applied only by DM's. And perhaps they could roll Influence vs. a Defensive roll to hide this information as well from the non-faction related native, just like the NPCs.

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor

+1 to all of this!

FellowMan

• Outlander
I know people have trouble doing IC disguises. The number of times I've had to send tells because I'm not sure if someone's disguised or just changed their fashion up a bit is not a low number. Maybe a more clever man than me can turn this observation into a coherent suggestion.

Also a rework of the ECL system.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power

Yea, I would like this. There are areas in the Marchand that are just empty warehouses that could be turned into places that people could rent. That said I would like more buildings in Port-a-lucine that could be rented out for people. Be it in the Ouiver, marchand, or even the Savant. I imagine that such a thing could done for the districts in Vallaki, so stuff in the residential, Market, noble, and so on. :)

That might be the best way to do it. though a cooking system still would be neat.

I think Natives should be able to have this in general since they would have an idea of who is an out cast or not being well native to the realm. However, if that not possible, then giving it to the Garda and Gendarmerie would be the next best thing.

Expanded MPC functionality; in-area PC locating, salient abilities and scene dressing (blood splats, etc)

OCR examination and modification tool for PC Guards (Vallaki, Gendarme and Krofburg)

I like these ideas. I especially like the ideas for the new MPC types. Though we already sort of have a layman board for the church of Ezra.

Soulray

• Church of Ezra - Ste. Mère des Larmes
  • Outlander

+1 to all of this. Cassius's suggestion summarizes my thoughts on the RP XP, as well.

callofzoidberg

• New to the Mists
  • It burns when I RP

Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Redoubtable Chapel
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

Being able to RP in these areas without feeling like my character has outgrown them, or should really be moving on to the Mist Camp or Port a Lucine would be really nice.
 I think the Outskirts, Lady's Rest, and Morninglord Temple in the outskirts should stay the same.

I don't know if this is possible, but could the keys for rooms in some of the inns be separated so I don't feel like I'm going to walk into someone's secret RP session that I feel like people would lock their doors for?

And a Teacher/Student system for spells. If we can't scribe them because of the economy (Although I think if you kept an XP cost people wouldn't become scroll mills) then allowing wizards to trade their knowledge would facilitate great RP.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:00:42 AM by callofzoidberg »
Caitlin O'Kellee - Born without 'Talent'
Armistice - Debutante

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor

Wayfarer Kinship Lodge
Red Vardo Storefront
The Drain
Redoubtable Chapel
Bellegarde Consortium
House of Krofburg
Vallaki Citadel

I would add the slums guardhouse to this list. A lot of report taking happens there!

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
Things I've seen here and liked:
  • Ability for Gendarme and Garda to check OCR
  • Full RP XP in faction hubs regardless of domain (Drain, Red Vardo Storefront, Wayfarer's Kinship Lodge, Refuge of the Fifth Light, Slums Guardhouse, House of Krofburg. (Specifically faction spaces, not things like the Lady's Rest, Outskirts, or the rest of Barovia))
  • AMPC Henchmen
  • New MPC/AMPC templates (Hag, Lich, Fiend, Ghost)

I'd also really like to see something to support the more mundane, average evil characters (as in, not MPCs/AMPCs). I've heard the idea of giving evil alignment a tiny EXP increase or something similar to encourage people to play evil more and enforce the idea that good is meant to be outnumbered and outgunned, as well as counterbalance the fact that evil characters typically end up getting less support and assistance. It should be hard for good to triumph rather than the other way around really.

Also a rework of the ECL system.
Please, it's so much worse than you would think.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:56:47 PM by Kaospyri »
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis