Author Topic: Languages and [Square Brackets] - Suggested Change  (Read 1126 times)

Shyntree

• New to the Mists
Languages and [Square Brackets] - Suggested Change
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Hello devs!

Request/Suggestion:
Consider adding a way to toggle what language your character is speaking in that does not require the use of square brackets - perhaps via the rest menu, or a widget.

Justification:
For Android players like myself, not all of us have square brackets on our keyboards.  I use a bluetooth keyboard without square brackets.  To get square brackets, I must turn off bluetooth, and use the onscreen keyboard instead - however, turning off bluetooth and having the keyboard disconnect causes my Beamdog NWN:EE client to crash.

Therefore, basically, short of using text macros to toggle languages - which eats up a ton of quickbar slots - there is no way for me to easily toggle languages without crashing and restarting NWN each time I wish to do so.

I realise this issue will likely not affect any, if any, people, but for those of us who play on Android and wish to use languages, it should be a fairly easy fix to add a language-toggle option to the rest menu.

zDark Shadowz

Re: Languages and [Square Brackets] - Suggested Change
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:09:49 PM »
The way this could be done would require multiple conversation dialogue lines that each would only show up if the language is known to the player via a check.

This can be done but it equates to a lot of duplicated scripts, and won't account for the flexibility of the current language system where you can insert your own language prefix.

For someone with 6+ languages? Sure, you may need something easier if the brackets are that difficult to switch to (you only have to type the brackets once per conversation, not per line to change all consequent dialogue spoken) but for most that only have 2 or 3 and are constantly switching languages I'd recommend using the quick bar, quicker to use than a rest menu toggle and the devs don't have to spend time for something that wont cover everything.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:33:28 PM »
For Android players like myself, not all of us have square brackets on our keyboards.  I use a bluetooth keyboard without square brackets.  To get square brackets, I must turn off bluetooth, and use the onscreen keyboard instead - however, turning off bluetooth and having the keyboard disconnect causes my Beamdog NWN:EE client to crash.

I don't know if either of these suggestions will help you as I don't have your hardware, but via Google I found the following:

Idea # 1. On your virtual keyboard on your Android device, make sure under Settings | Keyboard Layout | Alternative characters is enabled. This causes left and right brackets to appear as shift choices over o and p respectively, so you don't have to switch to an alternative keyboard, but instead hold down the shift key.

Idea # 2: This....https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201591341-How-to-use-SwiftKey-with-physical-external-Bluetooth-keyboards-on-Android

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:35:52 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Ard

• Undead Slayer
  • Exploit theoretician
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »
Bind commands in game in some empty quickslot spaces with [co] , [Bal] or whatever language your char uses. And just change them in game by pressing on them.

Right click (PC) / long tap (mobile) on an empty quickslot and choose command macro, type [lang] in there and that's it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:02:42 AM by Ard »