Author Topic: Extending the LFRP to help Low Levels look for a Party  (Read 1137 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Extending the LFRP to help Low Levels look for a Party
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »
So I was thinking, one of the difficulties of levelling up your low levels is often finding people of compatible level -- there's so many different level groups around the Outskirts that finding an appropriate levelled group is sometimes very difficult other than simply waiting outside the crypts or asking people OOC.

My idea is to create an extra section of the LFRP functionality so that low level characters (say, levels 2 to 5 or 2 - 6) can use it to LFP (Look for a Party), thereby being more able to congregate together in level-appropriate groups.

Like the LFRP option, this would also be optional.

This should help cut down on OOC behaviour such as needing to ask people their level OOC to know if they're in your dungeon range; or having higher level characters "carry" lower levels through difficult dungeons.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Extending the LFRP to help Low Levels look for a Party
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
I think that's why there's an RP Exp system in place.  My fear is that what you suggest will just lead to people partying up and grinding dungeons instead of role playing, learning, and growing into their characters more organically.

It's not a bad idea, just something that concerns me.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:37:53 PM »
The RP XP system tries to discourage high levels from hanging around the Outskirts; but they still do. It doesn't really incentivise low levels because you get the same RP XP whether you're level 2 or level 10 there. (Though admittedly RP XP means more at level 2.)

I'm simply suggesting a system for low levels to be able to identify each other when they want to. I don't think that will lead to more RPless grinding, because that also already happens; only right now it happens frequently with high levels helping lower levels who have trouble forming low level parties.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:42:50 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 12:12:06 AM »
It doesn't really incentivise low levels because you get the same RP XP whether you're level 2 or level 10 there. (Though admittedly RP XP means more at level 2.)

Now I may be wrong, and a Dev or DM please correct me if I am, but insofar as I am aware, RP XP scales with level. A level 18 receives a proportional amount of RP XP as a level 2 does, it isn't a flat rate. I leveled up my previous character for about five of his high levels with intense and plentiful RP, and never even really dungeoned on him. Similarly, I've gone through about two levels or three levels of my current character with only Bounty XP Rewards and RP XP.

Tarnation!

• Undead Master
  • Account for native characters.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 04:30:33 AM »
From someone who lives with this mode on at all times: it would be neat if you could add a short message to your LFRP status. Either to denote desperation, or the sort of RP you'd be interested in.

Examples:
Looking for fluffy social RP.

Scholarly RP!

I am very shy to approach people but I'd love to RP with anyone.

PlEaSe I HavEN'T RP'D in TwO WeeKs
Haelp

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:32:51 AM by Robogarda »
Carmine, Wynstan's Son - Itsy bitsy, teeny weeny, Ezrite from land of tortellini.