Author Topic: PC Dead Body Mutilation/Burn  (Read 1531 times)

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
PC Dead Body Mutilation/Burn
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
One mechanic that concerns me on server is the ability for PCs to mutilate another PCs body bumping them from a raise dead to a resurrection. I can certainly see the reason for this in certain circumstances with mature players or a DM present but I've been on the server for over a month now and I've witnessed it happen for what I would consider malicious reasons as an end result of PvP where simply killing someone should be enough. I think the existence of the mechanic seems to encourage it, for violent PCs to demonstrate their nature and comes across as a form of escalation or griefing. 

Long standing mature players have stepped in to help in these situations to "ease the burden" so to say but I don't think it should be their burden to carry. I'm sure this has probably been discussed but I couldn't find anything related to it and being new to the server though i'd raise it.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
Re: PC Dead Body Mutilation/Burn
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:07 PM »
It is difficult to take a side on this one, without more details.  As a general rule?  This is quite standard in PVP, particularly because individuals can self resurrect to get out of the situation if they are not.  As a cannibal, or reckless pvp attacker, you can also expect such a result.  PvP is generally extremely high stakes (if not the highest) and you can honestly usually expect a brutal finisher if it comes up. 

With that said.  It is a part of the rules of pvp that such actions as you describe are not to be done for frivolous reasons.  If that is happening, or you feel it is, please screenshot the behaviour and report to a DM, so they can clear it up or sanction as needed.

Bastard Son

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:37:11 PM »
Without IC cause, like any other hostile action, its considered griefing, if it makes sense it's not.
Theodore Brosk

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »
Mutilation seems to exist primarily for PvP to make sure the victim can't just respawn (despite how vulnerable that would leave them in the long run).

Like corpse hiding, it's a means to an end. That end being, PvP is not whimsical, there is no die-respawn faction war, beds made are lied in. That doesn't sound attractive or ideal, and indeed, it can be frustrating, but if resurrections are IC, then so is all of this.

I agree with the others posting above that you should take screenshots of any griefing you are witnessing. This very well could be someone messing around and it gets tolerated because people have the money to take care of it and then kill the goofy Kender that did it. If it looks off, take screenshots and report it.

Consider a retroactive recording solution like NVidia Shadowplay or the AMD equivalent so with a single button you can capture the last few minutes of gameplay and improve context in dodgy situations. Record with equivalent resolution to what your game runs in but minimise the bitrate for best results with keeping text readable and file size low. Try to guess which of these was a regular, full quality screenshot, and which is a picture of a low-bitrate recording.

Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »
Having recently participated in PvP similar to this.  I am glad that mutilation exists.  Partly for the fact that it helps to enforce consequences for IC actions.  It sucks, to be on the receiving end, but it's there to allow for a more realistic feel to PvP.

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 05:59:31 AM »
All good points. I guess my thought is as a player you don't want to end up in that situation and as such you're more likely to end up with characters focused on PvP power builds and others that isolate themselves and try to avoid it completely. Playing a primary antagonist in the past I'm coming from a different view where Pvp can be a wonderful experience for all in the right circumstances and involvement should not be feared in the right situation. I would have thought losing your primary weapon, gold and simply being dead are pretty good deterrents in itself.

The other aspect is that the burden and cost of the resurrection doesn't necessarily sit with the dead PC but the community. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:17:30 AM by Relapse »

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
Like all things it has pros and cons. The ability to mutilate is not much different from the ability to burn a corpse. In both instances the player is forced to see how events unfold on their behalf. When this is a good thing or bad thing is dependent entirely on when and how it is used.

When you are killed, corpse bashed/burnt and your body is hid for reasons you do not know or understand, it's pretty shitty. Worse still if there is no reason or it is weak. It's fun for one player.

When you are annoying and not afraid of consequences only respawning to run right back to what you are doing, it's nice to have a mechanism to break the cycle. I say this especially for my faction, the Garda.

No system is perfect but this one allows for some degree of policing and creates very real consequences for rash behavior. I would also say it works. Random pvp is way down from what I can see. As it stands now, if you are going to fight someone, it better be important because the consequence could be very long lasting. Though that said, it also makes people who want to bully and power trip to lean toward safer routes and power mismatches. A lot of the Antagonists here are much bolder when they figure they have 10 levels on someone.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:04:05 AM by Sinful Mystic »
Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
I would like to just mention again, as has been said before by a few people, that killing, hiding, and mutilating a body with no reason and no PvP is a rule break and should be reported.

On the other hand an antagonist, especially lower level ones, may feel that there is no reason when they are unaware that the RP requirements for PvP have, in fact, been met without their knowledge.

In both cases, it is never wrong to take the situation to a DM for adjudication. It does require time for an investigation and a player could be in limbo for a bit, but that is the compromise we have to have to ensure fairness.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
I would like to just mention again, as has been said before by a few people, that killing, hiding, and mutilating a body with no reason and no PvP is a rule break and should be reported.

On the other hand an antagonist, especially lower level ones, may feel that there is no reason when they are unaware that the RP requirements for PvP have, in fact, been met without their knowledge.

In both cases, it is never wrong to take the situation to a DM for adjudication. It does require time for an investigation and a player could be in limbo for a bit, but that is the compromise we have to have to ensure fairness.

This precisely.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.