Author Topic: Your overall preferences for the development of POTM - 2019  (Read 30296 times)

Blight

• Dark Lord
Re: Your overall preferences for the development of POTM - 2019
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
Oh  and can we stop trying to create new content that "is in line with pnp."

It just doesnt work well on a pw and almost always results in an inferior feat or class that nobody takes because it's just the worst option.

I keep hearing people defend it by going "well you dont take this class/feat for power you do it for roleplay."

And that's just a nonsensical argument. The idea that you have to choose roleplay over mechanics is divisive and doesn't serve the community in any way. Make all feats and classes competitive,  full stop period.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
I’d love to see more faction bases implemented in the Village of Barovia and surrounding areas. Something to bump foot traffic!

I like this idea. It would be nice if Barovia Villiage was a place Vallaki faction characters could move on to when they outgrow the xp cap there. All the same factions should be there but in a level environment that is not too much for the 12 and under group.

Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
Dear fellow Prisoners of the Mist,

As you know, the server is made through voluntary effort alone, and as such, our priorities will always ultimately be determined by where we find our passions and inspiration. Nonetheless, we still also want to provide content that gives you the best conditions for roleplay and overall experience - for that constitutes a major part of our passion for this project too.

Since it's been nearly five years since we last conducted a similar poll and to be sure to be in sync with this, we've made this very generic poll to give us a clue on where the demand is greatest now. It is not something we will consider ourselves obliged to follow, but we do want to know your thoughts on this, if nothing else then to inspire our future development, and to prevent we dedicate ourselves on things due to misunderstood needs.

If you feel any options are missing, feel free to post below and we'll consider whether to include them.

Thanks!

I voted for more dungeons, work on reducing lag and increasing stability, and adding more MPC variations.

1. More dungeons is popular, so I don't think I need to expand on that very much, although I would like dungeons that are more puzzle oriented with lots of lore and setting-specific atmosphere. That might not be as  popular, as many players prefer dungeons with high reward-to-risk ratios. I will speak more to this in my summary comment.

2. The server doesn't seem particularly laggy or unstable to me, but I include in that choice fixing all the little glitches we ignore and play through but that break immersion and cause players cumulative frustration. For example, the crankiness of woodworking tables in that not only must the right components be assembled but they must be put in the table in a particular way or they don't work. Spells that don't fire consistently, such as Divine Power, which sometimes requires targeting and sometimes doesn't, even though it's only castable on oneself. Doors that can be opened but then the transition doesn't work. Basically, the things that pop up in Minor Issues. Along these lines, I wish single-issue fixes were rolled out more often than lumping everything into major hak upgrades that require re-levelling and often introduce new huge, significant bugs, causing the tiny things to be pushed back and forgotten about.

3. MPCs are a great tool for offloading some of the work of generating a variety of content and creating horror from the Devs and DMs to players. In this way, they also fit under the heading of "Adding more systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven roleplay"--which is currently the most popular choice.

In my opinion, along with individual Dev "passion and inspiration" and "player preference," the server needs to follow an overall creative vision. It can't be all things to all players, and that branding needs to continue to drive content (RP not MMOG). To be sure, different parts of the server can have slightly different flavors catering to individual tastes, but in doing so some kind of separation needs to be maintained so a homogeneous stew with a little of this and a little of that but ultimately pleasing no one doesn't result. Much of that mishmash we, the players, need to self-police, but I also hope development works with that identity in mind so that new systems facilitate rather than undermine it.

In short, system design should strive not to force PCs to act in OOC fashion so as to remain viable and enjoy the game.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2019, 07:54:31 PM »
[Looks back at his own voting options, dies a little inside at their unpopularity at this point.]

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »
Three more suggestions from me:

:arrow: Gunsmithing: perhaps this can be for blacksmithing, but I would love if player crafted guns were a thing.
 :arrow: Dye Dummies: Would be great to have those dummies from the OOC areas in places since they make dying clothes so much nicer.
 :arrow: Tattoo Color Changer: there is a tattoo parlor but you can't change the colors.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »
Please finish Hazlan.

Maybe making the Red Wizards and Lawgivers an official faction plus a bank and storage available publicly there would be good additions to it in the short term before big development adds.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 01:47:12 AM »
Please finish Hazlan.

Maybe making the Red Wizards and Lawgivers an official faction plus a bank and storage available publicly there would be good additions to it in the short term before big development adds.

That would be brilliant.

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2019, 02:45:01 AM »
I see a lot of these faction requests, my own included, and I wonder if factions are actually in a healthy enough state to justify that. I don't think they are from what I see in game but of course that is not a complete picture. It may be worth asking if they are healthy enough and if not why aren't they?

I might put it out there that getting the factions working might be a bigger priority than many of the other things on that list.
Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2019, 05:33:37 AM »
My own opinion, which you should take with a grain of salt because I play so sporadically - even rarely

1. re-balance dungeons
2. adding more systems/features to facilitate player rp
3. adding more custom content for heads/clothing/etc

The other options are all of course things that other people and myself would love to see, but if I had to pick things for the Dev team to actually work on it would be those.

The server is huge, there are a ton of dungeons and areas already that go unused. Re balancing those that already exist would be much more time and resource efficient than adding more - not to mention would prevent us from reaching a point where we realize we have a plethora of unused areas we already spent time on in the past that we just have to either get rid of or let go unused.

More features to facilitate individual role play can only add to the server, so compared to any other option it feels like it should be high on the list. I'm not suggesting systems to make soloing more viable, just to make it easier for any one person to do things without the assistance of a DM - such as carpentry. Mundane things that might take a DM's time which could be better spent if a system were in place to do it for them.

As for custom content, I just hate making characters and trying to decide between the same batch of heads/voicesets/clothing options when I've already figured out what I like for what is available. We have a lot of variety in other things, I think more variety in customization would be fantastic. That being said, there are some issues with this. New models are time consuming among other things. There is more to a character than those aspects so I would in no way be disappointed by no time spent on it. That's simply what I would -like- to see.

Also, hi everybody! Missed you all. :)

Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
Spoiler: show
Dear fellow Prisoners of the Mist,

As you know, the server is made through voluntary effort alone, and as such, our priorities will always ultimately be determined by where we find our passions and inspiration. Nonetheless, we still also want to provide content that gives you the best conditions for roleplay and overall experience - for that constitutes a major part of our passion for this project too.

Since it's been nearly five years since we last conducted a similar poll and to be sure to be in sync with this, we've made this very generic poll to give us a clue on where the demand is greatest now. It is not something we will consider ourselves obliged to follow, but we do want to know your thoughts on this, if nothing else then to inspire our future development, and to prevent we dedicate ourselves on things due to misunderstood needs.

If you feel any options are missing, feel free to post below and we'll consider whether to include them.

Thanks!

I voted for more dungeons, work on reducing lag and increasing stability, and adding more MPC variations.

1. More dungeons is popular, so I don't think I need to expand on that very much, although I would like dungeons that are more puzzle oriented with lots of lore and setting-specific atmosphere. That might not be as  popular, as many players prefer dungeons with high reward-to-risk ratios. I will speak more to this in my summary comment.

2. The server doesn't seem particularly laggy or unstable to me, but I include in that choice fixing all the little glitches we ignore and play through but that break immersion and cause players cumulative frustration. For example, the crankiness of woodworking tables in that not only must the right components be assembled but they must be put in the table in a particular way or they don't work. Spells that don't fire consistently, such as Divine Power, which sometimes requires targeting and sometimes doesn't, even though it's only castable on oneself. Doors that can be opened but then the transition doesn't work. Basically, the things that pop up in Minor Issues. Along these lines, I wish single-issue fixes were rolled out more often than lumping everything into major hak upgrades that require re-levelling and often introduce new huge, significant bugs, causing the tiny things to be pushed back and forgotten about.

3. MPCs are a great tool for offloading some of the work of generating a variety of content and creating horror from the Devs and DMs to players. In this way, they also fit under the heading of "Adding more systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven roleplay"--which is currently the most popular choice.

In my opinion, along with individual Dev "passion and inspiration" and "player preference," the server needs to follow an overall creative vision. It can't be all things to all players, and that branding needs to continue to drive content (RP not MMOG). To be sure, different parts of the server can have slightly different flavors catering to individual tastes, but in doing so some kind of separation needs to be maintained so a homogeneous stew with a little of this and a little of that but ultimately pleasing no one doesn't result. Much of that mishmash we, the players, need to self-police, but I also hope development works with that identity in mind so that new systems facilitate rather than undermine it.

In short, system design should strive not to force PCs to act in OOC fashion so as to remain viable and enjoy the game.

Laiken's post about the Dirgist PRC made me think of another preference: that new development tend toward features that can be implemented completely and as intended.

The inability to do so is often a developer reason player suggestions are declined, but POTM does have several systems/features that don't completely reflect PnP or are otherwise broken in some way. For example, the recent changes to certain races affected a great number of PCs, in some cases at least for the worse, but some of the advantages of those races aren't able to be mimicked currently in game (e.g. Star Elves don't receive Otherworldly Touch).

As a consequence, players will often be frustrated with a new feature or change, when Devs would like to feel their work is appreciated. Additionally, players might then press for some other compensatory change that is also not in line with canon.

Although I don't doubt Devs consider this factor already, it's definitely a strong preference for me. It has to be disheartening to all for a lot of work to go into something, and it be met with disinterest or even unpopularity.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iyer

• Outlander
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »
I'd like to see a mid level rp hub that's not mist camp.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
There is Port-a-Lucine as an option. :)

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »

Same here, the mist camp for a variety of reasons has never appealed to me.

Iyer

• Outlander
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
Port isn't for everyone, especially for characters that don't do well in civilization.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 05:53:19 AM »
Port isn't for everyone, especially for characters that don't do well in civilization.

Exactly. I allmost allways go there out of necessity if i ever go. (Certain items that can be only gotten there...Only place there there is every crafting station available beside Vallaki. And apparantly there is a crafting resources only available there i have yet to try!)

I think Western Barovia also could use some update too, for a while now a number of new areas has been added/reopened. But most of it is just.... for walks. (Good for herb and wood gathering but that is all)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Just a quick thought- Adding the Hag as a monstrous playable race!
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »

Thatd take away the one thing Hallowed Witches are good at ;)

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »

Thatd take away the one thing Hallowed Witches are good at ;)

Being hard to play?

AnOldFriend

• Undead Master
  • House d'Orsine
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2019, 02:41:44 AM »

I think Western Barovia also could use some update too, for a while now a number of new areas has been added/reopened. But most of it is just.... for walks. (Good for herb and wood gathering but that is all)

Western Barovia? That's one of the newest parts of the server. 

What about Eastern Barovia/village of Barovia area,  Almost all of the maps there are ancient, and if we're talking about a Mid level hub, all of those dungeons there are about level 8-14. 

Putting some quality of life changes in there like Warehouse for storage, updating the blood of the vine inn so that it wouldn't fit the population of Vallaki inside of it,  and some delivery missions back to Vallaki would make VoB a great hub. Only downside is that I'd have more competition at all of my favorite mid level dungeons. 

Rest in Peace Dumitru Nistor

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »
More slings please

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
The  VoB is intentionally left how it is by the dev team, as part of its theme is basically being a ghost town in some sense. As such, if another hub were opened up (which given prior discussions seems unlikely as the dev team appears fairly set on the present setup) it'd probably need to be elsewhere or in a new location entirely (say near Krezk or Immol, if those were ever added.)

I still maintain that the mist camp is not a good hub for arguments that have been discussed to death at this point, but at present I do not believe it likely that this setup will ever be changed.

Iyer

• Outlander
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
We'll, what in your opinion is the best level to go to mist camp? 7-10?

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
More female torso models that are not "boob plates."
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Nearyn

• New to the Mists
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
I voted for the expanding of the crafting system. I specifically, I would love to see many more objects available in carpentry. Expand the options to tinker with decorations to amplify RP, without needing the hands of a DM involved in setting down stuff.

I would also love the inclusion of more and other things to craft. Specifically my Urgathoan priestess has bags of foodstuff and spices begging for a cooking system, whereby you can create the recipes available in inns, as well as add tweaks to them, and create things that are entirely inaccessible through the restaurants and establishments across the core.

I also voted for adding more systems/features to facilitate individual player-driven roleplay. With this, I don't just hope for nifty little quality-of-life additions or extra emotes, but also for a addition of elements that curb things that work to the detriment of player-driven roleplay.

Finally I voted for adding more dynamic quests and occupations. The current jobs all pretty exclusively aim from the places of power and downwards. The garda offer bounties on criminals. The gendarme offer bounties on criminals. I'd like to see jobs in the drain where you can go be collect debts from store-owners. Where you can target NPC garda to cut down a patrol-leader who should have taken his bribe. Or kill a member of the nobility or gendarme that stand in the way of the people's resistance. Etc. And that's just bounties. Multiple other jobs could be added, and maybe the old jobs get a bit of tweaking?

Timias | Barovian Potion-Making Grumpypants and Secret Wizard

Azshara Scarlocke | Cleric of Urgathoa and Pathfinder