Author Topic: Hak Test - Voodan Class  (Read 2026 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Hak Test - Voodan Class
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:48 PM »
We're happy to announce the upcoming addition of our new base class, the Voodan, a Base Class taken from Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends, one of the Ravenloft source books. While it comes from a Ravenloft source book, it's designed to be able to come from any setting, not just Ravenloft, so it will be open to all. Further roleplay resources will be provided once the class is implemented. That being said, before we can do that, we'll need some help testing it to make sure it works fine and there are no bugs with it. If you wish to help us test, you'll need to download the following haks:

-July 18, 2020: Updated the test server and the hak to fix a few bugs, make some balance changes to Voodan (slower spell progression, 1 less spell slot across the board, changes to the domain selection screen, caster level/DC calculated correctly in AOE spells, DC reduction for spells outside the Voodan's spell school)

-CEP 2.65 (extract to your My Documents\Neverwinter Nights\ folder)
-Ravenloft Haks (including Voodan) (extract to your My Documents\Neverwinter Nights\ folder)

Once you have extracted both haks into the Neverwinter Nights folder, you will find our test server at IP Address & Port: 46.4.59.55:5124 - use it for "Direct Connect". Once connected, you can create a new character picking the Voodan class, which can be found at the bottom of the list of classes; all new characters can freely level up to level 20 on the test server for now.

Try to test as many things as possible, such as spellcasting, the unique abilities, leveling, multiclassing, etc. and report anything that feels off, incorrect here.

To help you, here's the writeup for Voodan and its specific abilities:

Voodan are divine spellcasters who worship neither gods nor nature itself, but rather spiritual entities who fall somewhere in between. A voodan is possessed of only limited spellcasting ability, but has other mystic capabilities granted to him by the loa, spirits of the natural world. The voodan does not deny the existence of greater powers such as deities; he simply chooses to focus his veneration on beings nearer to him.

To cast spells, the loa prepares Gris-Gris that are the spell's focus and can be given to allies so they can cast the spell themselves at a lower caster level. Voodan are trained in the use of simple weapons and light armor but can use any type of armor, since armor does not interfere with the casting of divine spells. In addition to his normal complement of spells, every voodan chooses to focus on two of his loa's domains and specialize in one of its schools of magic. These domains give the voodan access to spells that he might otherwise never learn but do not grant special powers. Spells cast outside his school of magic are cast at a lower caster level.

WARNING: To cast a spell, a voodan must have a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level. For example, to cast a 9th-level spell, a voodan must have a Wisdom of 19.

- Base Attack Bonus: +3 / 4 Levels.
- Hit Die: d8.
- Primary Saving Throws: Fortitude, Will.
- Proficiencies: All simple weapons and light armor. Voodans are not proficient with shields.
- Skill Points (*4 at 1st level): 4 + Int Modifier.
- Spellcasting: Divine (Wisdom-based, spell failure from armor is ignored).

Class Skills: Concentration, Heal, Influence, Listen, Lore, Parry, Spellcraft, Spot
Unavailable Skills: Animal Empathy, Use Magic Device.

ABILITIES:

Level
1: Turn Spirit - Cause one creature type (Animals, Elementals, Fey, Outsider, Undead) to flee in terror.
   Bestow Gris-Gris - Give a spell as an item to another character.
4: Mount of the Loa (1x/day) - +1 to all ability scores, +1 to all saving throws, +1 to attack and armor class, or +2 to all skills.
6: Turn Spirit - Cause two creature types (Animals, Elementals, Fey, Outsider, Undead) to flee in terror.
10: Mount of the Loa (2x/day)
16: Mount of the Loa (3x/day)

Turn Spirit
Type of Feat: Class
Prerequisite: Voodan level 1.
Required for: Divine Energy Focus, Empower Turning, Extra Turning, Improved Turning.
Specifics: With this feat, the character can force creatures ("spirits") of the chosen type to flee in terror. This ability may be activated three times per day, plus the character's Charisma modifier (and not counting any enhancement to Charisma given by spells, abilities, or items). The character's Voodan class level and Charisma are used to determine how many creatures are turned.
Use: Selected. If the voodan has twice as many levels as the spirits have Hit Die, they are instantly destroyed.

Mount of the Loa
Spoiler: show
Prerequisite: Voodan level 4.
Once per day, the voodan may allow his patron loa to "ride" him for brief periods. During this time, the voodan gains any one of the following abilities:

- +1 to all ability scores.
- +1 to all saving throws.
- +1 to attack and armor class.
- +2 to all skills.

This bonus lasts for one turn and a number of rounds equal to 2 + the voodan's Charisma modifier, if positive (and not counting any enhancement to Charisma he may have gained by using this selfsame ability). The ability may be used once per day at level 4, twice per day at level 10, and three times per day at level 16.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the character must choose which effect he wants to apply.

Bestow Gris-Gris
Spoiler: show
Prerequisite: Voodan level 1.
Specifics: Gris-gris are physical manifestations of the spells cast by a voodan, which they prepare when they rest. These charms can take any number of forms, from small carved tokens, primitive dolls, to elixirs. The voodan can choose to select one or more of his prepared spells and give its gris-gris to an ally for their own use. That person can then use the gris-gris to cast the spell himself.

When a gris-gris is given to another character, the voodan can no longer cast the associated spell; furthermore, the spell slot remains unusable to the voodan until the bestowed gris-gris has expired after its lifespan, which corresponds to the time left until the voodan can once again rest normally. A gris-gris bestowed on someone else also does not function as well as if the voodan had cast it himself. The caster level and DC of the spell are both reduced by three. For these reasons, most voodan tend to limit the number of gris-gris they give away in a given day.
Use: Selected.

Happy testing!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:03:46 AM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Re: Hak Test - Voodan Class
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »
A few things:

-The Voodan's spells come from the Bard, Cleric, Druid and Ranger spell lists.
-The test server is set up to automatically level new characters to 20.
-Spells cast outside the Voodan's school of magic are cast as three levels lower and their DC is also lowered by three (ie: if the Voodan is level 9 and casts a spell from another school of magic, his caster level for that spell will be 6).
-School of magic descriptions will be updated with the next Beamdog patch to include references to Voodan.
-The Domain changer will be updated later to support Voodan, and a prompt will be added to have the correct school of magic (ie: no generalist).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:07:09 AM by EO »

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:45:13 AM »
Voodan Testing:

Core Features,

Force Spirit Turn feat acquisition functioning as intended.
Mount of the Loa functioning as intended and lasts correct duration.
Turn (Entity) seems to function properly and accounts for Charisma.

Duration all seemed in line with one another and lasted to CL 20 as appropriate. Gris-Gris functionality seems to work fine at face value including used duration at CL 17 (for a level 20 Voodan). Tested with logging off and resting, Gris-Gris did not deactivate upon rest immediately, but did on its internal timer.

Some DCs do not seem to function properly and I will list those below. As a default they seem* to be set at base 10 + spell level + WIS modifier - 3 for Gris-Gris, there just seems to be inconsistencies across the board for the time being,

Stonehold (6th) (DC 19), from 21 (10 + 6 + 5).
Fire Seeds (7th) (DC 17), from 22 (10 + 7 + 5). (Seems to be default).
Shockwave (9th) (DC 18), from 26, (10 + 9 + 5 + 2 (focus?)).
Implosion (9th) (DC 19), from 24, (10 + 9 + 5).

Further testing has shown something like Battletide to be functioning at 10 + 5 spell level and only such (like Fire Seeds) while something like Stonehold does not (could be AoE fault, hopefully this gives enough clues to pinpoint the issue).

Spells,

(Self), seem to work as intended upon only the recipient of the Gris-Gris.
(Other only), seems to work as intended only upon others and cannot be used from a Gris-Gris to the self (thank god).
(Area), tested Fire Seeds and other cloud spells (with Misted Magic), Fire Seeds had a DC proportionate to the base 10 + spell level (not sure if intentional), cloud spells...
(Summon), seems to work appropriately, tested Gate, hostile because no Protection from Evil. Tested other summons, duration and abilities as normal.

Issues,

Guards nor peasants react negatively to Gris-Gris usage outside of healing spells, this could be easily used to circumvent OCR system as it is. Tested mutliple spells including summons
DCs.
Spell Balance/Number of Spells.
Foci do not seem to apply to Gris-Gris creation.

Suggestions,

The amount of versatility is insanely high to the point of nearly (if not certainly) invalidating Clerics and Druids outright as spellcasters (barring access to Heavy Armor and Shield Proficiency). There are just too many spells to choose from, and these feats can be chosen down the line. Cutting the lists down, or reducing spell slots further if spell versatility is not a compromise is the best course of action I think. As the class is now, at least to me, there feels like there is a massive mechanical gap. (The spells being there in abundance could be for testing but wanted to get this out there in case it wasn't).

Having Gris-Gris not despawn at all is problematic and could cause server clutter if not able to be disposed of properly. Perhaps add a burning component for those that are used up?

Other Bits,

Creating a Gris-Gris while Ethereal cancels it out.
Gris-Gris can be sold for 1GP, but I rather wish they couldn't at all. They also expire while in merchant inventories.

Spoiler: What needs testing? • show

Things like the affect of Augment Summon feats on Gris-Gris with those that have it and those that don't.
Turn Feat durations/effectiveness.
Effects of Misted Magic on Gris-Gris/self.
More spell DCs.
A lot more I can't think of right now...

Anyway for my limited run I've confirmed quite a few things work and a few that don't, sorry if this post is rough around the edges or if there's mistakes.

If others could contribute incorrect DCs here and other issues/concerns I'll do my best to keep my post up to date. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:46:44 AM by Phantasia »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:41:06 AM »
Martial Supremacy did not appear at level 20 despite having 14 BAB.

Serina Rhea

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
I didn't want to crowd here with not entirely relevant stuff, so I put a more detailed post here on the side discussion :

Long~ Test

But really the main worrying point I would want to bring up here is about how much the ability to give spells away changes the server experience into something else entirely and in a very unpredictable way too >-<
I love~ the idea of items that give spells, this is totally a class I would really love to play so much, and it's really neat that it was possible to technically implement it.
Though it comes with concerns around self-targeting spells being given away... when Barbs and Assassins suddenly have Premonition and Divine Power and Jaunt and Shapechange... the world looks suddenly kind of different >-<' ?
Lower levels running around alone with spells they shouldn't have at caster levels that could easily poke pve, or worse pvp encounters they shouldn't be able to will be a weird experience >-<'

(More details in the link >-<)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:16:57 AM by Serina Rhea »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:46 PM »
Martial Supremacy did not appear at level 20 despite having 14 BAB.

If level 20 is a bonus feat only level that's why; it's an issue with most other non-fighting classes (ie: Druid, Cleric, etc.). I can fix that.

(Self), seem to work as intended upon only the recipient of the Gris-Gris.
(Other only), seems to work as intended only upon others and cannot be used from a Gris-Gris to the self (thank god).
(Area), tested Fire Seeds and other cloud spells (with Misted Magic), Fire Seeds had a DC proportionate to the base 10 + spell level (not sure if intentional), cloud spells...
(Summon), seems to work appropriately, tested Gate, hostile because no Protection from Evil. Tested other summons, duration and abilities as normal.

I think I know what causes the DC problems; it's an issue we've had with caster levels for AoE spells. It's relatively easy to fix.

Guards nor peasants react negatively to Gris-Gris usage outside of healing spells, this could be easily used to circumvent OCR system as it is. Tested mutliple spells including summons
DCs.
Spell Balance/Number of Spells.
Foci do not seem to apply to Gris-Gris creation.

Guards not reacting is an oversight that will be fixed. Spell Focus (and other similar spells like Misted Magic or Shadow Affinity) don't affect Gris-Gris, that's intentional.

Creating a Gris-Gris while Ethereal cancels it out.
Gris-Gris can be sold for 1GP, but I rather wish they couldn't at all. They also expire while in merchant inventories.

I don't think there's a way to prevent people from selling Gris-Gris but since they are low value they'll be removed by the store cleanup scripts. I'll add a few checks to make it impossible to start the Gris-Gris conversation while ethereal/dead/etc.

DM Indolence

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »
I don't know how much insight I can give that other people haven't already provided. Mechanics are absolutely not my strong suit. That said, I did take a Voodan to level 15 then 17 on the test server. I've played a cleric to 17 and a paladin to 19 on PotM, and neither one really holds a candle to what I was able to do with Voodan at level 15 (again to caveat, I'm terrible at building characters). The combination of (most) of the best buff spells with an abundance of options to skyrocket AB and base stats seems incredibly unbalanced (I extended all my buffs because I could without any trouble).

I was able to put full points in Spot, and had a +12 modifier to my Wisdom score. I also cross-classed Discipline and Tumble at 10 Intelligence without any trouble. In retrospect, I think a better route would have been to focus on ranged combat. I took Voodan up to 17 for 9th level spells. With a double digit Wisdom modifier, +8 Strength modifier, Divine Power, Divine Might, and Bane Bow at my disposal, and plenty of Feats available to take Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), I think I could reliably dominate at range while having up Greater Stonekin, Greater Invisibility, Premonition and attacking from within the Colassal effect of Storm of Vengeance forcing DC 28+ saves against stun for anyone who was suicidal enough to get close.

The class seems more than decent at nearly everything, top tier at a lot of things, and deficient nowhere in particular. I think it would need some significant nerfing before it could be considered remotely balanced. Bane Bow alone on such a capable Zen Archer is pretty wild.

All that said, I think it's awesome that the PotM team is working to bring us a new base class.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:39:52 PM by FiendishDireSloth »

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 11:46:00 PM »
I certainly like the idea behind the class, but it does need to be nerfed. A few possible suggestions:

1) Voodan can only pick one domain ( Perhaps possible by making a Domain called 'Voodan' that does nothing and you HAVE to pick that if you pick the Voodan route?]

2)Change the Hit die to 1d6 or even 1d4. They can manage some pretty darn amazing defenses, after all.

3)Make skillpoints 2 + INT. If you want more skills, better invest!

4) Is it possible to make the AB progress at 2 AB/4 levels, but still do the same progression for attack per rounds from 3 AB / 4 Levels? Sure Divine Might would fix that up, but when it's not cast, there difference would be a greater divide then with clerics.

On a sidenote : What will happen to players who were playing ( For easiness sake, let's say Native Souragnian) Voodans before the appearance of this class? Will they be allowed to remake their characters? Can they keep using the cleric class to keep on roleplaying being a Voodan?

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 03:54:52 AM »
The following spells have a bit of inconsistency when memorized along the lines of - The second level spells try to force themselves into 1st level slots when memorized into the second, clearing themselves from the second level and replacing the slot in that alignment in the 1st. They cannot be cast from that 1st level slot unless an extended/metamagic version of the second level spell is memorized with a third level slot, clearing itself off the third and forcing into the second level slot, which cannot be cast from either second or third.

Alarm
Charm Person
Expeditious Retreat
Identify
Mage Armor
Sleep

I went through memorizing and resting each spell at each level and it looks like it's just these six level 2 spells that are usually level 1 spells, though this could be a .2da conflict or something between one version of development hosted and another used.

EDIT: Fixed, spells are lvl 1 slots now after downloading the latest .2da's
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:17:02 PM by zDark Shadowz »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
Updated the test server hak and module to fix a few bugs with Voodan and altered the class as follows:

-Slower spell progression
-Removed the buggy extraneous 1 spell slot/level
-Updated the Domains selection screen in the character creation menu/level up menu
-Fixed bugs with AOE not calculating Caster Level properly
-Added the decreased DC changes when casting spells outside the Voodan's school, incorporated this into Gris-Gris
-Updated spell descriptions to incorporate Voodan

To-do:
-Update the school of magic selection screen in the character creation menu; this will be fixed with the next Beamdog patch (it's in the preview patch)
-Update the Domains changer
-Update the OCR system to account for Gris-Gris
-Add a check if the PC has the wrong spell school
-Update the OOC conversations to include information on Voodan

You'll need to download the Voodan hak package again, extract to the Neverwinter Nights folder to override existing files, then log on the test server. You can either reuse an existing character and relevel them or create a new one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:46:02 PM by EO »

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
I tried creating a Voodan to check this out but the test server did not automatically level it to 20. Maybe a glitch in the recent update or is there a command to use?

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
I tried creating a Voodan to check this out but the test server did not automatically level it to 20. Maybe a glitch in the recent update or is there a command to use?

Did you set your deity? You may have to relog to receive the experience if it rebounds you back.

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »
I tried both setting my deity and relogging.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 10:46:55 PM »
I tried both setting my deity and relogging.

I've fixed this. You can create a new character and it should now level up to 20.

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 02:32:37 AM »
Thank you, EO!

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
For the Voodan, will spells cast from domains be cast at a lower level too?

I noticed from testing a bit, you can get to a spell level, I.E. Level 4 and not be able to cast many of your spells because the CL decrease.

For example, at level 4 I could not cast Amplify although I had access to the spell since level 3. I was not able to actually cast the spell (it said spell level too low) until level 5 when I unlocked 3rd level spells. Is this intentional?

Does this decrease mean passing off Gris-gris of non-school spells would be at a caster level minus 5 as well?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:53:03 PM by Soulbourne »