You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The status of Women  (Read 22719 times)

Tprime

• Killer insano deluxe awesome....guy
  • Dark Lord
  • I am Ultimo, thy deliverer
Re: The status of Women
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
Even a small, fairly physically unimposing person can attain a high military rank. Brute force is all well and good, but so is strategy, counterintelligence, and political savvy. Napolean was a physically small man but talented in other areas. The strongest person most adept at wielding a weapon is good as a foot soldier, but if they don't have the brains to go with the brawn, they're not much use at the higher ranks.
Napolean was actually normal size at the time, but everyone in the army was tall, making him look shorter than he actually was.

Cor Reale

• Undead Slayer
  • - the bullets produced no effect whatsoever
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »
Alright, I spent an hour reading that paragraph and wrote a book report about it, so I think i'm ready to answer your question.

No.

No, that is a pretty reflex answer.  No, you are not offended with the shekls?  No, where women sleep is not an issue with where men sleep?  No, the predatory instinct, water conservation, protection of the hearth, are not influential on where women sleep in Ravenloft with gothic concerns, or fearful spirits chasing barovians away from peaceful rest?  No, women are not treated differently for sleeping with morninglordians, than say, with housing in a farmers house?  No, carving out a place in the hearth, women are not expected to be concerned with, contrary to the mysterious women in the outskirts housing in the woods, those that are not elven?  Or finally, No, women outsiders are not gazed at less approvingly than men when adventure calls for her to wander, and if yes, is this because of the gender roles?

Yes, this is not resurrecting an old post, it is animating a dead post.  The subject with women and characters perceptions of themselves as women has been discussed at length, and because this is an interesting thread, Id like to hear further from a new mist dweller or even someone that is old with a new woman, or man toon with a new perspective.  Im my worst critic for writing this, because this is not my subject and Im almost verbatum what ive absorbed studying other subjects in my reasoning.  I enjoy reading book reports.  The one fact that keeps returning to my mind, perhaps because of the woman character I play, is class on how that relates to women, which is why I reminded readers about the previous posts on the cost of a bowl of chilly, or tried to with the shekl joke.  Something Ive not quite come to terms with on the server, is playing a gender with conflicts in the setting, yet no having players confused with how to react.  In my PC bio, she has shied away from corporal punishment, but with what women go with (I could care less, not having any children or stood with my non-existant wife while she has nursed children), the pains of childbirth and child rearing.  Where was I headed with this?  Oh yeah, my neighbors have children and annoys the C*** out of me listening to all the cursing, etc.., so this post is currently the most interesting for me to write on, as Ive written myself out of the threads in the post on foul language, knowing absolutely nothing about that.  As far as woman go, and gender roles, lets just say, Im researching my best, the woman across the street with the discrepancy to leave the curtains open jk.

Shi'njra Hlarret
Eyms Mo'vs
Medi 'ne

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 04:39:25 PM »
Why would I be offended with the Shekl thing? I don't think I fully understand it. It's not some sort of comment about Israel is it? Otherwise we might have to lock the thread.

In any case, when I said no I meant that there is no special or additional xenophobia placed on strange women as there is strange men. In Barovia Gender Rolls are mostly blurred, because of their social history and because their life is simply so harsh they don';t have time for crap like that- women do the same jobs as men. In addition they do not have any strong religeous tradition, the atypical source of gender seperation (many cultures start out remarkibly egalitatarian and become sexist as they grow, often times this is influenced by religeon). A Stranger is a Stranger, and all strangers are treated with a degree of suspicion even Barovians from another village (to a far less degree then any outlander of course).

As for your other question, I believe it is considered mildly scandelous for a woman to sleep in the same room with a man, or a woman to live with a bunch of men if she is not married to one of them or their mother. It's strongely suggest this is the case in "Vampire of the Mists", in any case. Where a woman sleeps is important, but Barovians generally don't care about the BS. They just want their turnips.

Cor Reale

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
a shekl is fairly worthless, except in large quantities.  it's a currency joke, that has as much to do with Israel as a rouble, or a mark joke has to do with Russia and Germany.  I was thinking of the Canadian dollar being almost equivalent to the American now, as a likely similar jest.  If the post had an addendum on the economy of Russia, Germany, Israel, Canada or the United States, then a fine combed rendering of the post raises some strange concerns.  Economic humor is so foreign, few find it funny, but I doubt anyone is reading so far in-between the lines to take offense.  "A shekl is a shekl," is sortof a class joke, like why millions buy lottery tickets so that there is one winner, when the ticket only costs a dollar and cents to lose.  Right now I'm chuckling at the shekl joke, as the jest is aimed at the quality of money, worthless and not the conditions of the state, consumer or economy. because all money is symbolic in value, and not worth anything, except for the hands the fangs pass through.  For each harmless joke there are millions of harmful ones which I've stayed well clear from, and wouldn't even dream of mentioning some out of place in a thread on gender.

Shi'njra Hlarret
Eyms Mo'vs
Medi 'ne

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »
uh..okay

But isn't a joke about money out of place here? Anyway... if thats answered...

Cor Reale

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »
the posts on the price of a bowl of chili, and if that was reasonable made its way into the thread, because the harshness day to day struggles entice are closely related to currency.  I was surprised the subject came up, but the cost was somehow related to gender roles.  I was comparing my woman to her worth, in fangs, which is kind of how I think of her.  I'm sure the argument, who holds the fangs is the dominant gender, but gold fangs change hands so much, the significance of this is downplayed in peasant life, increasingly significant in players roles.

Shi'njra Hlarret
Eyms Mo'vs
Medi 'ne

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
In the end, the DnD universe does NOT make a difference between men and women, nor in Barovia, women are considered as important as men. There are no *traditional* roles of the women but what the player decide to do with his character.

Now wtf is a shekls and what does water conservation has to do with this plot, i have NO idea.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Tprime

• Killer insano deluxe awesome....guy
  • Dark Lord
  • I am Ultimo, thy deliverer
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
DOes anyone else notice the link between a ruble and a rupie?(rupies were from Zelda, rubles from other places.)

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
Got lost somewhere between a shekl and water conservation...

Doom

• Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
Okay, enough this thread has derailed and i am locking it.

- carrion -

• PotM Elder Thing
  • Dark Power
  • Waiting ... dreaming ...
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »
While I sincerly hope that the respective questions about women in Barovian society
have been answered thus far by Doom and some others, I'd also like to point out that
this board is actualy called Ravenloft Discussion. It is not there to engage in political
debate or compare currencies and economics of the real world. If you must do so on
a forum dedicated to server-roleplay in a dark fantasy  setting please try to do it in the
Tavern Cor Reale.
Thank you very much.

Oh, and a Shekel is a coin first used in Mesopotamia and later on in other cultures ...