You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Custom Origin Halfling Max Height Increase  (Read 1221 times)

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Custom Origin Halfling Max Height Increase
« on: July 26, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »
Currently, the max-height for custom setting or non-represented setting halflings seems to match Faerunian standards and I would like to suggest that it be revised to offer a height cap or scale up equal to the Dragonlance's Kender.

This would allow other setting's characters such as Hobbits from the lord of the rings or custom settings such as Havlins from Astra to be more accurately represented in size.

In the d20srd I believe a creature is still in the small category from 2-4 feet in height. Maybe the cap can be increased to 4 feet at max if not to the Kender's cap (I believe they can be up to 4'6" by  Dragonlance canon)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:59:14 PM by Soulbourne »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Custom Origin Halfling Max Height Increase
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
The standard size is the D&D standard size per 3.5 rules and not from a specific setting. Unless it is printed in an official D&D sourcebook, we won’t support or include it.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:46 PM »
Currently, the max-height for custom setting or non-represented setting halflings seems to match Faerunian standards and I would like to suggest that it be revised to offer a height cap or scale up equal to the Dragonlance's Kender.

This would allow other setting's characters such as Hobbits from the lord of the rings or custom settings such as Havlins from Astra to be more accurately represented in size.

In the d20srd I believe a creature is still in the small category from 2-4 feet in height. Maybe the cap can be increased to 4 feet at max if not to the Kender's cap (I believe they can be up to 4'6" by  Dragonlance canon)

On top of what Arawn said about the standard size charts, there are racial traits, abilities, and restrictions imposed upon Halfling-derived subraces that are partially because of their small size. In order for you to have a Halfling so large, you would have to have some work done to change their racial traits, attributes, and abilities to do so. Such as removing their stealth bonuses and bonus AC for their size, among other things. They also should be able to wield a large weapon at that height, but alas, couldn't.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »

On top of what Arawn said about the standard size charts, there are racial traits, abilities, and restrictions imposed upon Halfling-derived subraces that are partially because of their small size. In order for you to have a Halfling so large, you would have to have some work done to change their racial traits, attributes, and abilities to do so. Such as removing their stealth bonuses and bonus AC for their size, among other things. They also should be able to wield a large weapon at that height, but alas, couldn't.

The system already accounts for changes in size category, so that doesn't matter.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.