You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Rogue Feats  (Read 2222 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Rogue Feats
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »
So, a few suggestions to give the rogues some love:

Name : Skillful targeting
Requirement : 4 levels of rogue

Description: You are masterful at picking out and striking structural weak points on a body. Whenever you flank something that's immune to critical hits, you do 1d6 extra physical damage with each succesful hit.

Name : Skillful Dismantling
Requirement : 12 levels of rogue, Skillful Targeting

Description: You are truly a graceful demolition expert. Whenever you flank something that's immune to critical hits, you do 3d6 extra physical damage with each succesful hit.

The following should be one of those bonus rogue feats that you can get after the 10th level:

Name : Greater Weapon Finesse
Requirement : Weapon Finesse, Rogue lvl 10

Description: You have learned the art of striking quickly and decisively. For any weapons that could be finessed by your character, you use half your dexterity modifier ( rounded down) for damage, instead of your strength modifier.

Thoughts and feedback?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:47:59 AM by Ken14 »

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Re: Rogue Feats
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 12:51:06 AM »
I dig it, Rogues suck in dungeons always because 95% of dungeons are undead, except the whole lockpicking and traps part. It'd give them some PvE utility, which they kind of need. Greater Weapon Finesse seems like an interesting feat for giving dex-fighters a bit more damage where they're lacking, but not as much as a STR-based fighter.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:34:16 AM »
I like it! :D Though I'm not sure what the justification is for the bonus damage on those two feats being positive.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:43:35 AM »
I don't think the extra damage type comports with the description. It should not be positive energy.

Also, GWF, while listed here, does not seem to require any rogue levels. Should it?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 02:44:39 AM »
I like it! :D Though I'm not sure what the justification is for the bonus damage on those two feats being positive.

Truthfully, it could just be 'physical' damage as well. Like how the sneak attack's damage is apart from the enhancements on your weapons! Changed it, yes.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 02:47:37 AM »
I don't think the extra damage type comports with the description. It should not be positive energy.

Also, GWF, while listed here, does not seem to require any rogue levels. Should it?

As I stated, it should be one of those bonus feats that only Rogues can get, like defensive roll or crippling strike. So at least Rogue Level 10? Added it to the requirements, then.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
I personally don’t think rogues need any love. I play a high level rogue myself and although he sucks against undead, I kind of like having that weakness given how powerful he is against some other creatures. Yes, there are tons of undead on the server, but there are also a ton of dungeons that require a rogue for the party to progress and/or recover the loot. So, I don’t think rogues need anything additional.

With that in mind, I think Skillful targeting is well balanced and makes some sense, my suggestion would be to add a couple levels to the prerequisite and make it 6 levels of rogue as a prerequisite.

I think Skillful dismantling has the appropriate prerequisites but it is a bit too powerful. I would be more comfortable with it granting 2d6 rather than 3d6.

GWF should definitely be placed in that block of Rogue bonus feats if it is to be added. I think I would be okay with this one, particularly since some of the current rogue bonus feats are a little underwhelming.

Bastard Son

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:52:40 AM »
Im gunna be that one dude and say GWF shouldn't be added, its would make dex fighters unbalanced in the extreme. Dex vs Strength is already a choice between AC and damage. Thats without taking into account all the skills Dex is a base attribute for. (Stealth, parry) I feel it would make the choice one between damage or AC and slightly less damage.
Theodore Brosk

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Im gunna be that one dude and say GWF shouldn't be added, its would make dex fighters unbalanced in the extreme. Dex vs Strength is already a choice between AC and damage. Thats without taking into account all the skills Dex is a base attribute for. (Stealth, parry) I feel it would make the choice one between damage or AC and slightly less damage.

Yes but the post has GWF listed as a Rogue bonus feat, requiring at least 10 levels of rogue as a prerequisite.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
Rogues don't need to be good at fighting undead. They are a strong class on their own for very different reasons, i.e. skills. You want to be a good fighter and a rogue, multi class and invest in combat feats.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 09:01:22 AM »
Rogues don't need to be good at fighting undead. They are a strong class on their own for very different reasons, i.e. skills. You want to be a good fighter and a rogue, multi class and invest in combat feats.

+1

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 02:30:12 AM »

As a F/R/WM I find I am not good at undead either, and thats even after having an enchanted platinum gilded weapon... buuuut thats why you bring clerics and paladins etc along and build parties. You shouldn't be good at everything... thats why wizards and some of their spells were nerfed. At one stage back in the 2007-2008 days Wizards could solo any area on the server.

That said? If there was a feat that added DEX to damage? I'd be on that like a shark on a surfer...

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 04:44:34 AM »
Not everyone should be good at everything. Nitchs make good party dynamics and encourage us to need each other. I think D&D already makes a big enough mess of this by having every class job-creep into everyone else’s territory. While I know Ravenloft is undead heavy there’s enough love for stealthers and need for trappers and locksmiths that every pure class should get their moments to shine on adventures.