You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Vallaki Registry or -- Big Brother is watching you!  (Read 3660 times)

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
Vallaki Registry or -- Big Brother is watching you!
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »
The idea is a fairly simple one. A registry is kept and maintained - likely by the guard faction - of those in or around the Vallaki area.

Perhaps my perspective has been somewhat squeued by playing mainly within a secretive faction, but it often seems as if Vallaki is overrun with wandering vagrants. People that really have no ties to the city in any way, shape, or form, and as such are completely under the radar when it comes to recognition on a grand scale. A registry would allow the guards to have an official record of all those that wander around the city, and could also grant those on the registry some benefit as well. I wouldn't suggest any scripted penalty for not being registered, as oppressive systems rarely are fun, but rather make it a choice that people want to make, if just to avoid the Guard's ire and suspicion.

Thoughts/deas/feedback/suggestions?

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
Re: Vallaki Registry or -- Big Brother is watching you!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:50 PM »
If, or I should say when, the ethnic conflict between Barovians and Gundarakite mounts, it would make sense for the Guard faction to use a registry.  The gates and port would be the most watched areas, where guards could have check points.  Hopefully such a thing would enhance the danger for both the guard pcs and rebel pcs without making the rebel pc unplayable. 

I see potential for multiple factions.  There would be a need for forged documents for those player characters living a double life.  Red Vardo might be interested in that line of work. 

A system like this might be good for the cloak and dagger atmosphere. 

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
 :thumbup:
Like it ;)

Sig by Garison

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:09:56 PM »
Great ideas, and I particularly love the idea of Vardo participating in forgery.

It would be up to the guards how it was handled, but I think it could provide roleplay if PC guards were granted say, 20 names, and they had to periodically check and track the people on that list to see what they are up to, or whether to cross them off the list or not. It would certainly provide the Guard with a regular job. Depending on how far the idea was taken, files could be kept on certain citizens and their development, associates, and so on.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:54:44 AM »
"Your Papers Please!"  *Shuffles through the Papers......* " A Col. Hogan Yes?", says the Officer adjusting his Monocle.  "Shultz!  Beat him."

Oh there is much potential there.

~Rex  :twisted:
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
"Your Papers Please!"  *Shuffles through the Papers......* " A Col. Hogan Yes?", says the Officer adjusting his Monocle.  "Shultz!  Beat him."

Oh there is much potential there.

~Rex  :twisted:
I KNOW NOTHINGK! NOTHINGK!

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »
mhei.. ive been baffled by all the referance to nazis / gundar refferance the past few days. we need a good rebelion..

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

JironGhrad

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
I posted this same idea quite some time ago... implementing it will be the difficult part alas

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »
We have a good rebellion. Your just not in it.

I so need to make a Nazi guard named Shultz now...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 07:53:02 PM »
You need to build the prison first, so you can have a Warden named Klink.  Then you get Shultz.

~Rex Mundi, damn skippy, the whole thing!  :8E:
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.