Author Topic: What counts as an exploit?  (Read 8823 times)

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
Re: What counts as an exploit?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »
If you have the debugger on, you are able to time the exhaustion check. Not always, but you can often stop running right before it hits.

And knowing that it just passed, you can resume running.

(I think this is what Thundron refers to.)

Yes, this is an exploit.
So turning debugger off makes it ok? What purposes debugger serves?

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 12:20:09 AM »
If you have the debugger on, you are able to time the exhaustion check. Not always, but you can often stop running right before it hits.

And knowing that it just passed, you can resume running.

(I think this is what Thundron refers to.)

Yes, this is an exploit.

How is this an exploit? I don't understand to me running-stopping-waiting-running again doesn't seem like an exploit, we get a text message that says you are starting to feel exhausted.

We're not talking about stopping and waiting for a minute when you're exhausted; rather, this is stopping for a split second to let exhaustion tick over, every tick.
Perhaps you should try jogging to figure this out. Second for you is still 10 seconds for you character right?

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »
Is setting a bedroll to rest in it an exploit? I assume yes as you know it'll recover you more hp.

Also is running outside or to the previous area while in dungeon , to rest, is an exploit? You do it by knowing mob AI behavoir and to prevent getting ambushed while in rest/unbuffed/unprepared so i assume it is but would need a confirmation.
I would imagine.
Also making campfire during rain is exploit. Engine cant understand Wood is wet. Also using stealth on open area during Day especially is exploit cause it's impossible IRL.

But Wizard backing a House on his bag and polymorphing into umberhulk or something is fine, cause rules say all your stuff just mends in.

Sad really that rules prevents clever roleplaying.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:37:33 AM by Thundron »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 12:41:40 AM »
Debugging is useful to see whether exhaustion is working as it should and why you are becoming exhausted.

Otherwise, if an effect is deliberately programmed in, it is not an exploit. An exploit is misusing an effect for how it isn't intended (the debugger). Or taking advantage of a bug or system limitation to do things your PC shouldn't be able to (such as the encumbered strafing described earlier).

Exhaustion would be continuous, but do you really want the server to be weighed down by that kind of check? So it checks periodically. And if your PC rests for one second, then that's not really sufficient rest to get rid of exhaustion.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:24:19 AM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 01:32:20 AM »
I would imagine.
Also making campfire during rain is exploit. Engine cant understand Wood is wet. Also using stealth on open area during Day especially is exploit cause it's impossible IRL.

But Wizard backing a House on his bag and polymorphing into umberhulk or something is fine, cause rules say all your stuff just mends in.

You can make a campfire in the pouring rain in real life. It is a basic survival skill.

You cannot, however, carry 2400lbs. in real life, and trust me, there is no Cleric player right now leveling up to get rich off deliveries via Freedom of Movement, nor will there ever be. It would be a complete waste of time anyway when at that level they're already a highly sought after support class with several unique spells.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:33:51 AM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 02:07:29 AM »
I would imagine.

You can make a campfire in the pouring rain in real life. It is a basic survival skill.

You cannot, however, carry 2400lbs. in real life, and trust me, there is no Cleric player right now leveling up to get rich off deliveries via Freedom of Movement, nor will there ever be. It would be a complete waste of time anyway when at that level they're already a highly sought after support class with several unique spells.

Not like freedom of movement actually does anything for weight, from what I know that’s fixed.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 02:32:56 AM »
I would imagine.

Not sure how unique spells there are for lvl5 cleric, but yea it doesnt really help much, but people use (have used atleast) for carrying Ore. Perhaps it functions differently now and allows you to Be slowed down by encumberance, only preventing those last two steppes of fatigue, not sure. So is there weight Limit to Be exploit? And well, you can "carry" atleast 30000lb irl

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »
This thread is well on its way to being locked.  While some people have been helpful in seeking and getting useful clarification, there is clearly some pedantic petulance going on as well.  Lets keep it to common sense while making some things clear at the same time.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 05:04:59 AM »
Debugging is useful to see whether exhaustion is working as it should and why you are becoming exhausted.

Otherwise, if an effect is deliberately programmed in, it is not an exploit. An exploit is misusing an effect for how it isn't intended (the debugger). Or taking advantage of a bug or system limitation to do things your PC shouldn't be able to (such as the encumbered strafing described earlier).

Exhaustion would be continuous, but do you really want the server to be weighed down by that kind of check? So it checks periodically. And if your PC rests for one second, then that's not really sufficient rest to get rid of exhaustion.
Would Be amazing to get -100 exhaustion on second.. I dont think you get that Even on hour, except If you use rest, which is kinda exploit, as it only takes minute?
But IRL lets say I run for 5min and get exhausted, I walk 10s and become slightly exhausted, and can run again 5min..

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 06:02:52 AM »
This has devolved into trying to justify exploiting rather than what the topic name suggests. Although no one really seems to have an issue it’s obvious what an exploit is by now.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
This has devolved into trying to justify exploiting rather than what the topic name suggests. Although no one really seems to have an issue it’s obvious what an exploit is by now.

Indeed; therefore, I think we’re finished.

Remember, folks, exploiting will get you banned.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.