Author Topic: What counts as an exploit?  (Read 8828 times)

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
What counts as an exploit?
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:30:07 AM »
Pack oxen and summoned creatures have been dropping off the party menu after going through transitions, and dominated animals need to be constantly told to follow to keep moving (if the character stops and then starts moving again, the animal will still be stopped in that place). Tried to read through the other notes; hope this isn't a repost. Thanks!

That’s intentional. You must maintain a short distance from your pack animals, like having them on a leash. Otherwise you lose control.
Actually Pack ox have had hard Time following you to Dvergeheim Even pre patch. Getting them to follow you to mines or to sewers usully takes several attempts, but that is kind of reasonable.. there is also a way to ignore distance, which is useful If ox is stuck, so I dont think it should Even Be fixed.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: What counts as an exploit?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »
there is also a way to ignore distance, which is useful If ox is stuck, so I dont think it should Even Be fixed.

You mean an exploit?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
there is also a way to ignore distance, which is useful If ox is stuck, so I dont think it should Even Be fixed.

You mean an exploit?
If you want to simplify.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:28 AM »

You mean an exploit?
If you want to simplify.

Bear in mind before you use this or any other helpful "tips" that if exploiting can and will lead to a ban.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
So when your ox is stuck you send pm to dm with screenshot and change character, wait for dm to refund you with new ox and items it was carrying. Causing lot of unnessesary work, rather than getting you of "unstuck" by yourself? This server would be pretty much unplayable If you wouldnt "exploit" things every now and then as there are only so many dms to fox things.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:19 AM »
So when your ox is stuck you send pm to dm with screenshot and change character, wait for dm to refund you with new ox and items it was carrying. Causing lot of unnessesary work, rather than getting you of "unstuck" by yourself? This server would be pretty much unplayable If you wouldnt "exploit" things every now and then as there are only so many dms to fox things.

Yes. Additionally, you could report any glitches that result in your ox getting stuck so permanently that you need to exploit to free it, so we can fix them.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »
Does 10min walking Back and fort count as permanent? How Long IT would be be reasonable to try get unstuck? Ghakis mines for example there is Minecraft middle of corridor and maybe you have to position your ox right so it manages to walk past the cart. You also often have to strafe (bannable exploit) to get past the cart.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Does 10min walking Back and fort count as permanent? How Long IT would be be reasonable to try get unstuck? Ghakis mines for example there is Minecraft middle of corridor and maybe you have to position your ox right so it manages to walk past the cart. You also often have to strafe (bannable exploit) to get past the cart.

Strafing by itself isn't an exploit.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »

Strafing by itself isn't an exploit.
but IT IS superfast when you are on 2400/133 load..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:19:20 AM by Thundron »

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »
Also If standing still to avoid fatigue exploit or clever use of game mechanical? I would like to see it as pacing your journey right, and sometimes it fails..

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »
I think Thundron means by "strafing" moving sideways when encumbered and thereby exceeding proper speed, which is considered an exploit.

?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
Strafing to move through a tight spot--intended use of strafing.
Strafing for no legitimate reason to avoid encumbrance--exploit.

It's not complicated.

Also If standing still to avoid fatigue exploit or clever use of game mechanical? I would like to see it as pacing your journey right, and sometimes it fails..

Can you clarify what you mean here? I'm going to separate this into a second thread.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »

I would imagine it’s the same in real life, as running until you’re out of breath, stopping to get your breath back, then going again.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
If you have the debugger on, you are able to time the exhaustion check. Not always, but you can often stop running right before it hits.

And knowing that it just passed, you can resume running.

(I think this is what Thundron refers to.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:25:32 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
If you have the debugger on, you are able to time the exhaustion check. Not always, but you can often stop running right before it hits.

Yes, this is an exploit.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
A question then; a few times, I've used strafing to move faster when carrying a body, but only because I was roleplaying with one of my companions to help carry the body. I grab the feet, they grab under the arms with the idea being together we cane move them faster. NWN doesn't allow you to share the load but this seemed legitimate and roleplayed. Would that be valid?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
A question then; a few times, I've used strafing to move faster when carrying a body, but only because I was roleplaying with one of my companions to help carry the body. I grab the feet, they grab under the arms with the idea being together we cane move them faster. NWN doesn't allow you to share the load but this seemed legitimate and roleplayed. Would that be valid?

Exploit.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
would it possible to have an option to have two people carry one then? like a text option?

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

Yes, this is an exploit.

How is this an exploit? I don't understand to me running-stopping-waiting-running again doesn't seem like an exploit, we get a text message that says you are starting to feel exhausted.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »

Yes, this is an exploit.

How is this an exploit? I don't understand to me running-stopping-waiting-running again doesn't seem like an exploit, we get a text message that says you are starting to feel exhausted.

We're not talking about stopping and waiting for a minute when you're exhausted; rather, this is stopping for a split second to let exhaustion tick over, every tick.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 05:11:38 PM »

Yes, this is an exploit.

We're not talking about stopping and waiting for a minute when you're exhausted; rather, this is stopping for a split second to let exhaustion tick over, every tick.

Anything that isn't normally supposed to be done or something that you abuse like an OOC Debug message is an exploit, whether it be using bugs on the server or general issues with the engine, it is an exploit whether you know it or not so from my own experience it's probably best to make sure it isn't if it seems out of place or unusual.

There's nothing wrong with asking anyone if it is or not. Just make sure you're asking the right people who should know when you do.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:14:57 PM by Edward »

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 06:39:38 PM »

Yes, this is an exploit.

Ahh, I never use the debug it just clutters the chat IMO. Thanks for the clarity
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Ard

• Undead Slayer
  • Exploit theoretician
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:57 AM »
Is setting a bedroll to rest in it an exploit? I assume yes as you know it'll recover you more hp.

Also is running outside or to the previous area while in dungeon , to rest, is an exploit? You do it by knowing mob AI behavoir and to prevent getting ambushed while in rest/unbuffed/unprepared so i assume it is but would need a confirmation.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 12:12:04 AM »

Yea, I wonder how much it saves time, If you are able to perfectly time the fatigue check compared to just keep moving max slowed.. But I feel If carrying 1000lb gives you 100 fatigue per check, and 2400 only does the same, carrying such load feels exploit on it's own, but hey super OP clerics can just freedom of movement it.

Ard

• Undead Slayer
  • Exploit theoretician
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:51 AM »

Yea, I wonder how much it saves time, If you are able to perfectly time the fatigue check compared to just keep moving max slowed.. But I feel If carrying 1000lb gives you 100 fatigue per check, and 2400 only does the same, carrying such load feels exploit on it's own, but hey super OP clerics can just freedom of movement it.

Isn't using freedom of movement to avoid encumbering an exploit aswell? Think about it....you're using it to avoid the weight ...