Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Holy Symbols and Vampires

<< < (2/3) > >>

Iridni Ren:
The Domains of Dread are not a typical server setting, and undead are stronger here in general. Looking at the source book, I see also that it says if a cleric creates a holy symbol here, the Domain Lord becomes aware of it. If an evil holy symbol is created, it's supposed to cause a DP check :)

Particularly in places like the Terg Ruins, I certainly would understand if a holy symbol had no effect. Or, as I read for some campaigns, its effect is to make the vampire uncomfortable and irritated but not affect its fighting ability. It might target the wielder in preference to all others!

The Unspoken Pact, on the other hand, might not include holy symbols.

All of this is to say, a rudimentary holy symbol should probably not have the power being described. A special artifact holy symbol, maybe.

Hypatia:
Legion I don’t think you’re reading my post carefully. These things are not what I said and this wouldn’t give you a single combat advantage.

Knockback was an effect used in various spells on the mulmaster server where when the spell was active, if a creature came close that was affected, it rolled a save or else got teleported back about 5’. It would stagger a moment than try again. Worked quite well.

What I’m suggesting is you activate your holy symbol at a target vampire. As long as you stay targeted ON that vampire and do NOTHING else, it will keep getting knocked back when it tries to approach you. You can’t fight, you can’t spell cast or anything. It only repels him WHILE you are target locked onto him with the symbol. This isn’t going to help you tank anything. It will keep one or two at bay as long as you take no other actions and beat their will save. It’s only used are to buy you time and to do what holy symbols are supposed to do with vampires. It’s canon, and would be nice for people who encounter vampires they can’t beat.

edit: if its your "faith" or force of "will" that gives the symbol the power to stop a vampire, than this is best represented in a DC based on your wisdom and charisma. Cleric levels should give a bonus.

--- Quote ---Like what do you envision this being used for besides looting or corpse rescues?
--- End quote ---
This wouldn't help you loot anything.  If you've got a vampire held back, bouncing off that 5' ward, the second you click to loot something, he's all over you. I see it being used for when you're the squishy healer and your group is fighting vampires, and one of them comes for you, so you keep it at bay with your holy symbol until your group can get to you. Or you're caught in a dark alley and a vampire spawns there. You keep it at bay while you try to figure out a plan of action, such as readying  a potion of cowardice or a spell. However the second you execute these actions, the symbol is down and the vamp can attack. It buys you time, and its cool for RP.  For strong vampires, they'll probably beat your DC so problem solved there.

Thundron:

--- Quote from: Legion XXI on April 10, 2019, 11:53:11 PM ---Other than being able to just loot the Terg crypts 100% effort free, what purpose would this even serve?  Like why do we need this? Why are people going into the very few places vampires spawn to NOT fight vampires? Also how can you tell if a PC is presenting it with faith and conviction or just equipping it because it makes vampires stop attacking them? 

Without really even thinking too hard I can come up with a handful of reasons this wouldn’t be easy to implement or even a great idea.  For one, I don’t know what you mean by “knock back” if you don’t mean KD or fleeing, but if you’ve got a method of retaining aggro while not allowing enemies to attack you, you’re essentially capable of endlesssly tanking them and leading them around with you on some kind of vampire safari while the rest of your party does....whatever they came there to do if it’s not get XP.  Which still remains the main source of confusion for me, since it seems this would only be applicable in an extremely small number of scenarios if any kind of spellcasting actions or combat cancel the effect.

Like what do you envision this being used for besides looting or corpse rescues?

--- End quote ---
Cant you just loot terg with invisibility Potion? Or atleast with high stealth, If they have true seeing..

Thundron:
Im interested about this 'crafting of holy symbol' dont cleric come with their holy symbol?

Legion XXI:
Yeah Thundron, you can loot it with invis or stealth.  The question wasn’t whether or not Terg ruins was possible to loot.  It was that I thought this was basically supposed to be a “vampires can’t touch me, I’m on home base” type item, which would have further trivialized an already easy and over-looted zone.

And you’re right Hypatia, I didn’t see that you meant it to be a single target effect that stops you from taking any other actions to maintain.  That actually makes it even MORE niche and LESS useful than I previously thought.  Add in the fact that the “knock back” you’re describing is some custom thing you saw on another server, and we’re looking at significant dev time/effort/testing/tweaking for a thing that I can’t imagine would ever, ever be used.  (Or able to be implemented in a way that isn’t cheekily abused). Like it’s been said before, warding gesture is a better version of what you’re wanting and already exists.  I know you probably don’t want to burn a feat on it, but that’s the trade-off I guess.

The only places you find NPC vampires are dungeons that contain groups of them.  You’re highly unlikely to come into contact with a single NPC vampire, unless you spawn one in by opening the coffins in Terg.  But if you’re doing that, you’re either clearing the dungeon or looting, and in neither scenario would this be useful.

If you accidentally get the aggro of a vampire while dungeoning, just wait 5 seconds for your party to bail you out.  As for the “cool for RP” factor, it’s only cool if it works in a way that makes IC sense.  And this really doesn’t seem to nail that, especially considering intangible things like “faith” and “conviction” play into this and aren’t represented accurately by numbers on a character sheet or in a combat log.  Add in AI not really being able to intelligently react to things like this in different contexts (especially when party members, weird pathing, and combat/fleeing combat are involved) and you just have a real weird, free version of warding gesture for single targets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version