Suggestions & Feedback (OOC) > Gameplay Balance

Is a strength based monk viable?

(1/4) > >>

nostalgicsamurai:
Hi!

I'm a new player here, and I was thinking about making a monk PC. From a few threads I've read in this forum, i've got the impression that it's difficult to get some decent damage as a dex monk here. So I'm wondering if a strength monk would be viable, or if I'd end up sacrificing too much AC and thus become unable to survive in melee combat. I also like the RP implications of a strength build a bit better.

Also, do you think it's worth it to get intelligence to 13-14 in order to get some combat feats with the monk? In some PWs I've played on, expertise is almost essential, even when playing a relatively low AB PC, but it's always a bit tricky to raise intelligence on a monk considering how MAD they are.

zDark Shadowz:
If you're tanking or expecting to solo? You'll need improved expertise at the levels you'll be able to take them on

For the most part if you take a str based route, still do your best not to compromise Dex/con/wisdom too much. Potentially, you may have to just stay on a flanking role, perhaps with some stealth skills for between encounters so you aren't targeted immediately (need them to lock onto your actual tanks first.)

Generally the reversal of str/Dex and lack of further investment in Dex equates to about a 3 - 5 AC loss (depending on how its built), which is significant, but as long as you don't compromise on the other abilities and tumble, get your AC where you can, it should still work out for most things.

Early on and late game content may present more difficulties than is normal for a monk but the flaws of the individual are covered by the strengths of the group usually. Monk is a teamsport.

You may or may not consider using a 2h weapon to get that strength modifier and a better critical range. Eventually the fists do get on par with a weapon but being able to have enchanted gloves on top of a two-handed weapon is one (slight) advantage over a monk that only has the one item slot to work with, having empty hands and being able to Improved Disarm someone to take their weapon and immediately use it on the opponent is a fun gimmick too.

I won't say it's not difficult but like most things you can make it work.

immasturgeon:
Yes it's viable. Some might even say preferable. As a monk you'll never really have elite defense anyhow... Better to focus on what dps you can and be a flanker.

nostalgicsamurai:

--- Quote from: zDark Shadowz on April 08, 2019, 05:58:19 PM ---
For the most part if you take a str based route, still do your best not to compromise Dex/con/wisdom too much. Potentially, you may have to just stay on a flanking role, perhaps with some stealth skills for between encounters so you aren't targeted immediately (need them to lock onto your actual tanks first.)

--- End quote ---

So, a balanced spread would be best? Like the following for a human:

STR: 15
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 14
WIS: 14
CHA: 8

I'm tempted to start at 17 STR for a bit more AB and damage, but then I'd have to bring INT down to 13, and then DEX to 12 and CON to 10, or something similar, which might bring down my survivability a bit too much.

sammylix:

--- Quote from: nostalgicsamurai on April 08, 2019, 06:14:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: zDark Shadowz on April 08, 2019, 05:58:19 PM ---

--- End quote ---

So, a balanced spread would be best? Like the following for a human:

STR: 15
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 14
WIS: 14
CHA: 8

I'm tempted to start at 17 STR for a bit more AB and damage, but then I'd have to bring INT down to 13, and then DEX to 12 and CON to 10, or something similar, which might bring down my survivability a bit too much.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, according to everyone I've talked to that should be a viable build. Once you reach level four you'll put it into strength and it would be worth simply waiting rather than sacrificing your skill spread. At the end-game you'd have 20 base strength. Plus the extra int would allow you to have more skill points for things like hide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version