Author Topic: Spell suggestion: Sending  (Read 791 times)

ForgottenBhaal

• Outlander
  • Lurking in the mist
Spell suggestion: Sending
« on: April 08, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »
Reposting this in the right section.

I would like to suggest that this spell be added. I know it might be abit of a scripting hazzle, but it would be neat if magicians could send away messages to people to be able to cordinate with them more easily.

Sending
Evocation
Level:    Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Components:    V, S, M/DF
Casting Time:    10 minutes
Range:    See text
Target:    One creature
Duration:    1 round; see text
Saving Throw:    None
Spell Resistance: No

You contact a particular creature with which you are familiar and send a short message of twenty-five words or less to the subject. The subject recognizes you if it knows you. It can answer in like manner immediately. A creature with an Intelligence score as low as 1 can understand the sending, though the subject’s ability to react is limited as normal by its Intelligence score. Even if the sending is received, the subject is not obligated to act upon it in any manner.

If the creature in question is not on the same plane of existence as you are, there is a 5% chance that the sending does not arrive. (Local conditions on other planes may worsen this chance considerably.)

Arcane Material Component
A short piece of fine copper wire.
Modify message

The way it would work, is that I would assume that it would be that when the spell is cast, a conversation window will open up. A limited number of letters could be used to compose a message. When sent, the recipient will receive a "Ping" through a tell, relaying the message.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Re: Spell suggestion: Sending
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
There are a couple spells that might work for this. Including “whispering wind” which is 2nd level.

Magic Mouth would also be very cool and I “know” there is a CEP object for it.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
Re: Spell suggestion: Sending
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
The problem with this spell is the same problem as any sort of divination or communication magic in the Demi Plane of Dread, and the reason why divine casters cannot Commune with their deity - the spells fail, either because the dark lords choose to intercept them, or the dark powers alter them or block them.  Communications between domains are blocked by the mist themselves.

Tricky to code or not, its not the issue.  The setting doesnt really allow for them.