Author Topic: Carpentry Suggestion  (Read 1747 times)

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Carpentry Suggestion
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:41:20 AM »
Functioning Door:  It would be nice to be able to craft a door peaceable (the wooden one with the rounded top) and have it spawn lockable along with a key for it into your your inventory that also disappears when you dismantle/destroy the door.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Carpentry Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:19:11 AM »
For what purpose?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:00:40 AM »
So you can make a barrier that can be opened and closed. Id use it for the hospice so we could have people knock on the door to the main room after they transition in so we can say "whose there" instead of them just appearing in when we might have had the door locked. I bet the crows could use one for their fort. Never know where building a door could come in handy.  Maybe you've got an open hallway you want to block off to make yourself a little cubby in the sewers or who knows! People could just break it down or pick it, but it would be nice to have the option along with the other furniture options.

Right now I use a "sawhorse" for this.. but a door would be much better. People come into the hospice and spruce it up after every reset, and Hypatia always asks for a door there in part because of the wererat attacks and also because she wants to ask whose coming in BEFORE they are in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:20:33 AM by Hypatia »

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:53:47 AM »
A door with a key cannot be bashed or picked so that could be abused too easily

Building out off the mists

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 06:28:48 AM »
Unless there's a special script in PotM that sets locked doors to be plot and key required, by default in the toolset you just make sure not to check the doors/placeable as 'Plot', and do not check the box on 'Key required to unlock or lock'.

This gives you a breakable door/placeable that can use a key but doesn't require it to be picked or relocked if someone has sufficient skill.

I believe there were placeable object variant doors in the CEP files somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:37:35 AM by zDark Shadowz »

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
Ok, maybe i always asumed this wrong then, though i still think a placable door would not be a good idea

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »
To confirm, the placeable doors can be lockpicked and bashed. That's not the problem.

The problem is either they block pathfinding or they don't. Opening them won't help. The object will still either block PCs or not (and the ones we currently have don't, which is why you always find them attached to walls). There's no way to fix this, because the game engine doesn't provide for placeable doors. At all.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
Appears moot under the circumstances, but lock- and key-making seem completely separate skills from carpentry anyway.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »
I’ve been building for a very long time and I can assure you those wooden doors do not block pathfinding when bashed or opened. I’ve used them in dozens of areas. They can also be bashed and picked unless you specifically mark them as “plot” and mark “key required.”  As a DM I have spawned them in and they worked just fine with no walk-path issues. I can’t speak for the curtain variety, but the wooden doors with the round top and the little blue doors work great.

Maybe require a “lock & key” you can buy at the carpentry store as a material component for this along with planks? Perhaps sell a few types so the same key won’t always work on all of them or make a custom parameter so the key is generated with a specific ID when crafting the door.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:36:09 PM by Hypatia »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
To confirm, the placeable doors can be lockpicked and bashed. That's not the problem.

The problem is either they block pathfinding or they don't. Opening them won't help. The object will still either block PCs or not (and the ones we currently have don't, which is why you always find them attached to walls). There's no way to fix this, because the game engine doesn't provide for placeable doors. At all.

The game engine doesn't, but the pre-written scripts in the CEP 2.4 starter module do. It's all been written by an 'Osmanthus', and from the looks of it, uses a destructible invisible object on open/close to create the block over the door, with the doors and their block palettes being part of the hak resources. All the scripts are set up in the haks, it just requires dropping in the placeable object and may require opening/closing once to set the invisible object placeable first.

On a side note this was used to very good effect on a zombie survival server (Revenge of the Dead by Zunath) where they had a very extensive placeable object crafting system for building fences/doors/houses etc. I know these placeable object doors, when scripted, works very well in stopping creatures for the most part. Hordes of undead NPCs is a good test until they glitch through as creatures packing up are wont to do.

Doors location can be found in this path location:

Test module with the doors can be found here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At_hxUiXUnQ1jnCHjEaj4Pzn4CiP

So even if it's not something that you want to put into the game in the carpentry, DMs may use them for events pretty easily if they wanted in future, it should all be set up. Just drop in the door only (not the invisible object), open/close it once and it's set.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:10:51 PM by zDark Shadowz »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
It’d be simpler to just figure out a way to plop down an actual door rather than a placeable, which isn’t particularly hard to do.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
Happy hunting with that, I have never been able to get an actual door to come down outside of the door jam. But you guys probably know a whole heck of a lot more than I do about the stuff.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »
It’d be simpler to just figure out a way to plop down an actual door rather than a placeable, which isn’t particularly hard to do.

That would be so nice! I can see so much potential. An A/M/PC making doors on hallways people have gone down already to disorient them and make them more afraid.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
Happy hunting with that, I have never been able to get an actual door to come down outside of the door jam. But you guys probably know a whole heck of a lot more than I do about the stuff.

Use change location by right clicking on the doors name and you can move it by typing coordinates

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
Guess I'd worry mostly about such being used for path-blocking, but I guess they can already do it with the current set-ups. I see paths completely blocked frequently... so I'm weary to think more options would be a good idea.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
You can block the path with a saw horse just as easily (which is what I currently have to use for a door in the hospice). If you can drop a row of dressers in the middle of a hallway to block the path, why not with a door? At least the door won’t be so silly and you can pick it instead of bashing it.  Building a door is no more silly or abusable than any of the other things you can build. It’s as valid a carpentry option as anything else and just as useful.

Also, there’s no real way to block off anything for real with carpentry. As far I can tell, it’s all bashable, and my saw horse door has about 5 hp. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:50:43 AM by Hypatia »