Author Topic: Height scaling  (Read 4539 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Height scaling
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 05:59:53 AM »
The only thing I'm a bit afraid of if this is applied, is that most human characters I met are described as been huge.... like really, really tall, muscled and big... a large amount of them :lol: .So maybe some rules, you need to have STR and CON at certain number in oreder to be of certain height? otherwise this is going to become Land of the Giants...  ;)   Of course I'm not saying the appearence of characters should limited... but, to a certain extent it is...
Neither strength of a person nor constitution of a person determines how tall they are, or else they can grow in height as they grow both tougher and stronger. Limitations would be keen. Perhaps even passing limitations causes an OCR to be increased incrementally into your inherent OCR rating.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »
+1. I agree that it would be a really cool system if passing limitations on height within in a race had a negative impact on a character's OCR. And obviously there would still need to be absolute minimum and maximum height allowances for each race.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
I really hope this gets implemented during the next hak update. Hypatia is 4'10", Lianna is 7'1"... but IG we look the same. It would be really really nice to be able to adjust this for the sake of RP, immersion and variety.

I agree that it would be nice to do, but we'd have to keep things limited. Not sure what races you are looking at, but 4' 10" (well, 4' 7" for female) is the absolute min for humans, where as 6'6" is the Upper end (for males, only 6' 1" for females) , 7' 1" wouldn't probably be doable for a standard human (unless its some off-spectrum race from some setting).

I agree that I see a STAGGERING amount of people that are describes as massively huge. I think if this were to be implimented in times to come, were people to use the upper end of the scale, that OCR penalties would make sense. People being fearful would make them quicker to be blamed for things and otherwise untrusted.

Then you get to the point of where you stop the 'scaling' talk in general. Sure, height is one thing, but not only? Are you simply scaling the whole model? Some people are tall, lanky and skinny, some beefy... Do we add width scaling for more stout people or skinny people? Where do we draw the line in implementing such a system?
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
In NWN2 there has always been height and girth scaling. Some servers like Myths of Atalan even expanded the scale range quite a bit so that my healer who was at the lowest height was about half the height of a giant barbarian guy there at the far other end. But even there, most people stayed pretty close to the middle range, with more tall than short. But I have never seen a server where everyone is super tall. So I wouldn’t worry too much about everyone throwing the height and girth bar all the way up. It won’t be that pronounced, and extreme ends won’t be that common. I’ve always seen that most people tic a little above average and that works. Most adventurers would probably be above average height anyway so it’s not even unrealistic that most adventurers are taller than most commoners.

So, looking at places where this is implemented, you just don’t see any abuse. Even Areleth has it. Not everyone there is super tall.

The 7’1” lady might be a sub race of Uthgart Barbarians? That might be one of those sub races where she asks the DM to give her another tic on the height scale beyond the normal range because of her sub race and they can decide yay or nay, adjusting her manually beyond what she can set using the in-game widget.

I really hope this goes in.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:23:19 AM by Hypatia »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »
I think that those who go from something that would be seen as freakishly tall or short should have their OCR increased.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »
I could see the OCR thing. Though I think that would be more for something outside the normal parameters?  I.e subraces? But you do get more attention being particularly tall or short so why not? But seriously. This won’t be a land of giants. This system is used all over the place and I have literally never seen it abused or break immersion. Quite the opposite in fact.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:32:36 AM by Hypatia »

Chabxxu

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »
OCR is short for OutCast Rating. It pretty much determines how nocs from different domains will react to your character. The higher the OCR, the more aggressive they get, until they flat out attack you on sight.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
What is OCR?
OutCast Rating.

The Higher it is, the more you are regarded as an outcast by natives of various domains, this has negative effects as if it gets to high you will find businesses shut off to you and in some domains straight up attacked as some sort of monstrous caliban freak if it is above a certain point. It should be noted that each Domain has their own separate OCR rating.

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »
+1 to all of this. I nearly always put height in my PC description, but it would be nice if people didn't need to examine to know that my garda a small slip of a thing or that my barbarian is taller than average without being the typical barbarian "giant".