You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Weaponmaster build query  (Read 3511 times)

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
Weaponmaster build query
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Im going to make Bard/cleric/wm with 13 STR How much that is going to suck? By the way, will you get 4ac from mobility when shooting in melee?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Weaponmaster build query
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:08:30 PM »
I don't know, but I would think you'd get +4 against the AOO shooting in melee provokes (not against regular attacks, however).

As far as the overall build, I don't see a lot of synergy. It might not suck, but it will be weaker than pure classing. Also, you won't have as many feats to spare since you don't have fighter in the mix, meaning your bard and cleric classes will be feat-starved, once you devote the feats to the WM prerequisites.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
Yea, but this is rpg server. I feel like people are just trying to min/max builds and then play totally different character.. I just feel whirlwind IS perfect fit for Bard who worship Elistraee, even if she doesnt ever make it to WM. 😔

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
Righto :) If you want to play a build enough, then the mechanics are secondary.

The caveat, however, is RP (mostly) involves other players, so you have to hope with an unorthodox PC you can still find a supportive niche. What I mean is, everyone loves to bring along the buffing-built sorcerer who makes the group way more powerful, but to avoid RP frustration, I'd also want to think about a place/group for my whirlwinding, Ellistraee-worshipping bard to fit.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
I don't advise mixing bard + cleric with a third class unless you really do not care about spells in your spellbook.

For saving throws, bard and cleric train 2/3 as primary so that's pretty neat, but the feat investment into WM means little room to take all the other saving the feats.

A bard/cleric without a decent spellbook selection is going to be sitting at scores of 13/13/12/13/14/13 STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA as a bare minimum if you wanted to get things like Power attack / Divine might/shield and future points put into charisma to use these with weapon-master. You could lower CON more to put into other abilities but HP is important for something that's taking classes that will only output 8 & 6 HP per level.

You need 8 cleric, 5 bard to get the feats required (bonus feats on 2nd, 5th, 8th levels of the individual classes), 14 Wis gets you all the lvl 4 spells you'd have access to. Then last 7 levels are WM. Might need to withhold bard lvl 5 until lvl 17 to put the tumble in then.

8/4 then 4 WM lvls, 1 bard, last 3 WM lvls.

You'd be very reliant on Divine Power to get your attack up but 2x lvl 4 spells + 2x lvl 4 spellslots rings means you have 4 uses of that so it's not all doom & gloom.

I don't really advise this multiclass because there's too many compromises, but some people enjoy that.

Alternatively if bard is your dump class then 10 cleric 1 bard 5wm 1 bard 1 cleric 2 wm works as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:16:26 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »
Sounds like a ballerina who can fence well? Sounds cool. Weird but cool.

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
I could get on board with a bard 8/ftr4/WM8. . . You could probably managed bard 12/wm 8 as well. . . though your armor here is going to hurt a bit.

Though in general I always recommend people building toward level 10-12. That's a much  more reasonable goal than 20 And you won't be waiting for your build to get functional for its entire career. In that vein I might say Bard/WM is a decent compromise in this area.

I wouldn't mix WM with cleric personally. I definitely wouldn't Bard/Clr/WM

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:55:55 PM by immasturgeon »

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
Remember: the RP is more important than the destination. It is possible to achieve what you want, even if the build isn't "optimal" - and, as we know, Weaponmaster's power is raw enough to make up for quite a bit of "suboptimality". At the end of the day, your character is what matters - not some spreadsheet.

Follow your heart. Although I would venture that this thread isn't fit for General Feedback, unless it's some sort of cleverly masked satire (perish the thought), since it is a call for build help. 
Vicerimus Mortem.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »
she is 13 16 9 14 14 18 atm.. pretty much need to start with bard to get even some skillpoints for important skills, need cleric for divine might, want wm cause already will have whirlwind. (had already but remade, and switched to power attack to be able to cut wood and mine in reasonable time) I was planning 5 bard 7 cleric 7 wm as I understand max level for drow is 19.  :roll:

without wm I think she just be 12 bard/7 cleric

Phantasia

• Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:38:33 PM »
The max level for Drow is 18, as they are 2 ECL.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
I heard max level is ECL /2 rounded down.. so tiefling for example would be 1/2=0 svirfneblin 3/2=1 so drow 2/2=1  :shock: which one is correct?

Wholesome Memester

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
Your build doesn't matter. It's all about the roleplay. :)

Phantasia

• Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »
Well, if following vampires at ECL 2, and they can only achieve level 18, I imagine it is much the same for a Drow. But you can wait for a Dev response or ping the Discord for a perhaps more expedient response.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
I heard max level is ECL /2 rounded down.. so tiefling for example would be 1/2=0 svirfneblin 3/2=1 so drow 2/2=1  :shock: which one is correct?

The maximum level of restricted races is always 20 - ECL value. ECL values cannot be reduced. I don't know where you heard they might be halved, but that is false.

Note also that here on PotM Aasimars and Tieflings have an ECL of 2 since they also retain the human's bonus feat and skill points in addition of their respective racial traits.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:07:22 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »
she is 13 16 9 14 14 18 atm..

I mean RP trumps build, etc., of course; but for Elistraee's sake, don't take CON 9.  Be kind to yourself.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
she is 13 16 9 14 14 18 atm..

I mean RP trumps build, etc., of course; but for Elistraee's sake, don't take CON 9.  Be kind to yourself.
What else there is to lower. I know cleric is impossible to build, asioita you need all stats. 9 con is average for elf. 14 wis cha is must for divine might, there for 13 str is also must. I even lowered int to 12, which makes me think I should remake with 14 int 9 con (16 and 7 for drow) as I dont have enough skillpoints. 😖

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 12:16:14 AM »
There was cleric on other server I believe had 8 int so she can have "good" stats and when needed to make some skill check she just said damn 2 skill point per level.. Sure, I could swap around skill bonus items, but that just feels dumb.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:43:52 AM »
I would almost never pay 3 points for 1 stat point when with patience you can get the same point at 4th level 1 for 1.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »
I would almost never pay 3 points for 1 stat point when with patience you can get the same point at 4th level 1 for 1.
Yea, I dont either unless, you can dont really need/want points to other stats.. and this "build" dont even have any 2 cost points.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 08:19:19 AM »
How did you get an 18?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »
If it's a base 16 +2 for drow, that's four points from 14.

Honestly, I think dropping Cha to 17 and raising Str to 14, Con to 10, would make quality of life much higher for this character. The idea of Con 9 makes me cringe. Con 7 is basically Iron Man mode.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:52 AM »
I dont see any point besides coolness of it to go for divine might with less than 14 starting Cha, and every point to Cha..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:00:17 AM by Thundron »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
At low levels with a potion of Eagle's Splendor I've found DM to be useful. Both it and Divine Shield don't scale particularly well.

(For paladins it's crazy good because they have stackable Cha buffs.)

Sus started with 16 Cha (Aasimar, though).

Iridni has 15 and has never added to it.

The paladin I've started is a Cha build.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:11:32 AM by Iridni Ren »

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »
I dont understand these suggestions about 2 Bard level build. Isnt that illegal to have less than 5 of any level in the end? I would also like delivery missions from Waterhouse.. Is there topic about how outcast rating should work in interraction with barovians for example.. as radu is ok with me, like npc Garda, but some pc Garda might kill me?