Author Topic: Druid weapon/armor restrictions  (Read 4086 times)

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
Druid weapon/armor restrictions
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
How people are playing their druids in terms of weapon and armor restrictions, like what is the reasoning that they could use scimitar, but no other metal weapons or armors. NWN itself has no limitations, but does potm have any ruling about this, or should people just play as they see best for themselves?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Druid weapon/armor restrictions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
It's always seemed strange to me, but as a druid you're not allowed to wear metal armour. The only reason they make concessions regarding weapons is because they recognize the need for them. There are alternatives to metal if you want to wear medium or heavy armour though.

Rvrdrgn

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
I may or may not switch back to scimitars, but other than rings no metal armors or helms. There seems to be very little druid gear IG compared to clerics/mages ..and sneaker gear  :roll: Thankfully there are other means to make up for it a little.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
Druid probably has the most class specific gear, particularly caster gear, in terms of options.  It just seems to have a slightly lower drop rate, which is understandable as it is one class.  Three classes (not to mention PRC's) use stealth gear, which is probably why there are so many more stealth items, and if they choose to use them, they are crucial

As for gear, yes.  Metal armour, gear, is not allowed.  Rings, weapons, those are fine.  Otherwise crafted chitin is most likely your best bet to wear.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »
As for gear, yes.  Metal armour, gear, is not allowed.  Rings, weapons, those are fine.  Otherwise crafted chitin is most likely your best bet to wear.

This above is the current ruling from DMs and developers I've asked. Metal on your weapons is fine, metal on apparel (Armor, helmet, gloves, boots) isn't.

Don't turn helmets into hoods to get around this either as I've seen some people do - if it says Material: Bronze / Iron on it then you know what it's made of, no Eyes of the Eagle or Falkovnian Talon Bracers for druids.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:52:45 PM by zDark Shadowz »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:06:40 AM »

This above is the current ruling from DMs and developers I've asked. Metal on your weapons is fine, metal on apparel (Armor, helmet, gloves, boots) isn't.

Don't turn helmets into hoods to get around this either as I've seen some people do - if it says Material: Bronze / Iron on it then you know what it's made of, no Eyes of the Eagle or Falkovnian Talon Bracers for druids.

This is correct.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
I believe there are no bracer or plated boots recipe from chitin yet? I was also dreaming about non-metal bullets and Arrow heads. Also, it would be awesome If druid could use obsidian and bone weapons without penalty or somerhing 🙄

And yeah got myself chitin fullplate. And planning to use scythe.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
Arrows and Bullets are weapons though, so you'd be fine with metal on those.

There are options for gloves and boots without metal, but yeah, adding Chitin to the plating options would be nice, as well as for Gauntlets/Bracers.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
Chitin has already been added to the plating options for at least some, possibly all, of the crafts.

konssaml

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
I believe there are no bracer or plated boots recipe from chitin yet?

Actually you can use chitin/thick chitin to make both boots and gloves.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 04:44:27 PM »
oh cool, need to try out those boots and gloves. how about clothes that has gold decorations? Cloth of Gold Vestment that metal amouth is so small it would be ok?

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
Metal in weapons is cool. Gunslinger druid incoming

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
If the entire 'cloth' isn't actual cloth but only the metal wires? I would only assume no.

(My opinion going from poor memory follows:)
Wearing armour is supposed to severe the connection to the ley. There is some metal that is allowable because metal is used in everything, studded leather, belt buckles, metal buttons etc but it is miniscule in comparison. If the gold threads are only in decorative lacing and it's primarily actual cloth you should be okay.

Wearing armour also 'breaks the druidic oath' to the extent that they can't use spells while wearing the armour and violating the oath, and not for another 24h after the armour has been removed.

There are other ways to break the druidic oath more severely in that you lose your powers entirely until atonement is made, which is DM-enforced. Alignment shifts / ceasing to revere nature / teaching druidic secrets to those that aren't druids or initiates.

If you do start wearing armour and don't acknowledge a possible warning from a DM that notices they'll enforce it to restrict your powers as appropriate I think, hopefully until that 24h period is up and you petition a DM to grant it back.

^My thoughts only, based on information from class features here if they are applicable in this setting. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Druid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:02:30 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
Are we using that half-vistani "lunar madness" thing here, three days during fullmoon you need to make willsave or run around under open sky, and cannot prepare spells during those three days. Also how that three days is calculated, does fullmoon on weather info last three gamedays?

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »
Are we using that half-vistani "lunar madness" thing here, three days during fullmoon you need to make willsave or run around under open sky, and cannot prepare spells during those three days. Also how that three days is calculated, does fullmoon on weather info last three gamedays?
There is no mechanical system for this.  It's entirely roleplayed.  The full moon occurs on day 13, 14, 15, and 16.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »
I believe there are no bracer or plated boots recipe from chitin yet?

Actually you can use chitin/thick chitin to make both boots and gloves.

Could not make any chitin gloves or boots with wood/leather working or blacksmithing..

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »
It's done through leatherworking, and you make it as you would any other pair of boots/gloves that are lined with metal. If you don't know the recipe for it, that's something you find out IG.