Author Topic: weird immersion suspension from the current build/design  (Read 1004 times)

Quartermaster

• Outlander
weird immersion suspension from the current build/design
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
Hello, I have been playing on the server for awhile now, and realize that this has probably been brought up before. I find that the servers overall immersion into Gothic horror to be top notch. However there are times when things happen that seem to erode that basic "belief" and was wondering if the game module mechanic could be adjusted to bring the overall server immersion back on track.

The number one immersion spoiling game mechanic is the disappearing monster corpse/body. This seems to be tied to the lack of items the creature carried in "life" For example, all the werebeasts (so far encountered in Barovia) just disappear when killed. I think that if they left a bloodstain, or even a Barovian NPC corpse, that the horror could more easily be acknowledged and role played. Perhaps said NPC corpse could have a horror themed description- a (this body has gruesome wounds and looks as if this poor bastard was being torn apart)

Continuing with the werebeasts, werewolves and wererats seem to have a progression of difficulty- with the difficulty being tied to specific area/dungeons. I have not encountered a likewise werebat experience. I think that the werebats could use some attention, even perhaps their own roost, perhaps somewhere off of the road to Barovia Village, where mighty heroes could meet their doom.

Thanks for reading and for building and maintaining the best multiplayer server on NWWEE.
cheers,
QM

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: weird immersion suspension from the current build/design
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »
Regarding the disappearing corpses, while I understand and respect the point you are making, the main issue with having them persist would be the contribution to lag.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
Werewolves are likely one of the most-killed things out and around Vallaki, that much is certain. Leaving them there would surely be nice to see when someone's been through but eerie silence, wondering if they're attacking someone else, etc. can be suspenseful too, since unfortunately it would be more fuel for the "reset daily" bonfire that gets built sometimes.

I agree on werebats. I never actually encountered one until level 9 or 10 and it died in one hit which was a little weird. It was also alone in an area where other things would've been much more dangerous. Maybe they need to show up in packs and learn some kind of sonic blast ability. Or maybe I haven't seen enough of them to comment yet?
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
I think the werebats exist purely to ruin invisibility :P

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Could be, but sadly, the way that goes, every character I've seen who has access to invisibility, already had access to a cheaper movement speed bonus, so the bat is just going to be led to its death in an infight it is sorely outmatched in.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
I don't have access to the toolset right now but I believe you can set a corpse to be present and despawn after X amount of time.

But this can't be used for the werewolves you see out in the wilds because their base form isn't human, so they won't revert to human. Alternative options to making a human appear when a werewolf dies and then corpsing that body is clunky.

I'm not even sure if the werewolves actually use the polymorph trait, if it's just an appearance change + visual effect to simulate it as it is.

Could probably add an On death event which spawns a placeable object-type human body which sets a timer on it to disappear on its own, but unless it's written very cleanly for the devs to implement easily, it's a bit of effort, and they're likely already heavily invested in their current projects/RL.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
The way I always interpreted it for when you have killed enemy creatures fade away on death (or after looting their remains) is sometimes they are just mist borne things... adds to the spookiness if your monster slayer is constantly questioning what in front of him or her is real vs fake when even the illusions still have the power to kill you. The mists love messing with people’s heads so it thematically fits with the setting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:29:46 PM by Silas Rotleaf »