Author Topic: The Sorcerer Discussion  (Read 6653 times)

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
Re: The Sorcerer Discussion
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
Weird, in my experience, sorcerers are really really powerful.

On my last server, I had on my team x3 of the toughest characters on the server, 2 clerics and my weapon master.  On their team; 1 sorcerer. 

We went after this dude intelligently. Staggering one at a time so we all wouldn't get caught in "time-stop".  So we went one at a time, got Time Stopped and Greater Missile stormed one at a time, while the next in line would rush out to try to get to the sorcerer. 

Rise and repeat.  This dude had SEVEN time stops... pretty much infinite greater missile storms and managed to whittle all of us down to near death before teleporting to safety when he ran out of time stops. Three fully buffed high level  powerful character absolutely punked by one sorcerer who spammed us with a total of 2 different spells.  No strategy, no planning, no skill.. just spam super powerful spells that you don't even have to prepare or think about in advance.

Maybe this server has fixed the spamability of those spells, but holy crap sorcerers are bloody powerful. Personally I hate the class and I think it robs soooo much of the classic wizard who had to hunt down magic tomes and study. Its almost like someone finally getting Shadowdancer and unlocking HiPs, and suddenly someone tosses a feat to every stealth character and now they can all get HiPs too. Too me, Sorcerer is "easy mode" wizard. Its like if you want to glimpse that super wizard power but don't want to have to bother with finding magic spells and preparing in advance.

I would like to know the level cap and any relevant changes on that server, because a level twenty sorcerer under any circumstances will never be able to cast seven time stops on this server without having a hoard of scrolls. Time Stop and IGMS have both been changed on this server, as well.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
Possible be might have been a hair over level 20 but I doubt it. Tons of charisma buffs maybe? Not sure.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Epic sorcerers normally do not gain additional spell slots, IIRC.

Must have had some crazy gear.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »
Lv 20 sorcerer gets 6x castings of a lvl 9 spell. + an extra spell for a +9 modifier or an item I guess? Or he was only hit by 6 timestops instead of 7.

Lvl 6 is all IGMS, 7 + 8 from stilled and empowered IGMS. It's pretty powerful in that particular instance..