Author Topic: Is there a way to increase character limit on paper and books?  (Read 1354 times)

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
Is there a way to increase character limit on paper and books?
« on: February 24, 2019, 04:39:41 PM »
We don’t really always know how many lines of text can fit onto a paper when you use the @write commands on it with a quill. I like some of the features there are like using | for when you want to start a new line and being able to use @write add to add more but it’s frustrating when you are scribing/writing along a document in game for say a handbill, poster or IC lorebook/chronicle or whatever and you get cut off down the middle, only to find out after it is too late and have to start over.

I get this is to emulate handwriting of olden times using ink so being able to go back and delete some letters to redo it would be immersion breaking but how do you know the amount of space the writer character has to work with on a page other than by making an eyeballed rough estimate?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Is there a way to increase character limit on paper and books?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
We don’t really always know how many lines of text can fit onto a paper when you use the @write commands on it with a quill. I like some of the features there are like using | for when you want to start a new line and being able to use @write add to add more but it’s frustrating when you are scribing/writing along a document in game for say a handbill, poster or IC lorebook/chronicle or whatever and you get cut off down the middle, only to find out after it is too late and have to start over.

I get this is to emulate handwriting of olden times using ink so being able to go back and delete some letters to redo it would be immersion breaking but how do you know the amount of space the writer character has to work with on a page other than by making an eyeballed rough estimate?

It has nothing to do with emulating old handwriting and nothing to do with immersion. It’s the best way of working with an extremely limited interface in an outdated game engine. If you can think of a better way that isn’t taxing to the engine, I’m all ears.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:43:49 AM »
There's a chat text limit so I find it's just easier to approximate it into a notepad format, separate into sections, replace paragraph lines with the | character and use a lot of copy & paste.

If I make a mistake or there's an issue then I can just spend another 12 gold on some paper, adjust the notepad file and try again.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 05:37:11 AM »
It has nothing to do with emulating old handwriting and nothing to do with immersion. It’s the best way of working with an extremely limited interface in an outdated game engine. If you can think of a better way that isn’t taxing to the engine, I’m all ears.

I would say we just have a nice clear limit that is stated perhaps on the item itself, then if people are writing something too long they can use their noggins and clean it up so it's brief, or split it up into multiple pages, like how villains inexplicably rip their journals page for page in collectathon games with too much lore and not enough thought put into the delivery of story elements. :mrgreen:
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »

I would say we just have a nice clear limit that is stated perhaps on the item itself, then if people are writing something too long they can use their noggins and clean it up so it's brief, or split it up into multiple pages, like how villains inexplicably rip their journals page for page in collectathon games with too much lore and not enough thought put into the delivery of story elements. :mrgreen:

I find the best way to tell is if you cant see your text anymore. if you get to that point, it's time to condense

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
Sounds fair enough to me. The pen came after the paper before receipt printers were engineered. Not sure I can offer anything on the books and journals which should be much longer but thinking about it, you can just post an OOC note that the full thing is on the forums after leaving a choice passage ingame.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »
I’m putting my head to it and well right now I can’t create an entire in-game WYSIWYG style interface word processing thing, no, but... maybe a widget or some sort of custom plug-in to the UI that would let you know how many character spaces or lines you have left to go, in the future could be an okay fix for that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:14:51 AM by Silas Rotleaf »