Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Cure Minor Wounds (CMW)

<< < (2/8) > >>

Iridni Ren:

--- Quote ---Thirdly, Cure Light Wounds (CLW) is able to actually heal less than CMW until the character reaches level 3, and is able to heal the same amount still at level 4. The internal logic here makes no sense; how does a spell of greater difficulty act weaker than a cantrip?
--- End quote ---

Not really true. The expected value on a CLW even at 1st level is 5.5 HP. It's true you could roll a 1 and get only 2 HP, but CLW will have a higher average.

As far as 4 versus 1, a justification I can see for having it 4 is that our PCs tend to have way more HP than standard PCs because of the max HP per level we receive.

I don't think this has  a very significant impact on gameplay at all either way, so if the Devs want to make it conform to 3.5...*shrugs*. I typically use mine to top off my PC before resting, rather than eating, to make sure she's at full strength after the rest.

It would probably affect spellcasters with fewer healing spells available, though, than your typical cleric (e.g. Bards).

zDark Shadowz:
Virtue is a great spell for lvl 1 & 2 when you're increasing your max HP instead of attempting to cast cure minor during combat, and you can memorise a full bar of virtue to sacrifice for cure minor and have the best of both.

It's a cantrip, what more do you expect from it?

becat:

--- Quote from: zDark Shadowz on February 14, 2019, 03:15:57 AM ---Virtue is a great spell for lvl 1 & 2 when you're increasing your max HP instead of attempting to cast cure minor during combat, and you can memorise a full bar of virtue to sacrifice for cure minor and have the best of both.

It's a cantrip, what more do you expect from it?

--- End quote ---

You're right, Virtue has its uses, but it's vastly overshadowed. A level 2 cleric would have 16 base HP, which could be entirely healed with their cantrips, doesn't that seem strange? 1HP CMW would still have use as a stabilizing spell and in polishing off those last few missing points of health.

To the question I must say that Cure Minor Wounds is also only a cantrip. Why should we accept and expect more from one spell over the other? Either Virtue should receive some boosting or CMW should receive some limitation, and since this server seems so heavily attracted to 3.5 rules (seeing the Blackguard skill discussion), I thought this would be a more acceptable solution.

Iridni Ren:

--- Quote from: becat on February 15, 2019, 12:47:57 AM ---You're right, Virtue has its uses, but it's vastly overshadowed. A level 2 cleric would have 16 base HP, which could be entirely healed with their cantrips, doesn't that seem strange? 1HP CMW would still have use as a stabilizing spell and in polishing off those last few missing points of health.

To the question I must say that Cure Minor Wounds is also only a cantrip. Why should we accept and expect more from one spell over the other? Either Virtue should receive some boosting or CMW should receive some limitation, and since this server seems so heavily attracted to 3.5 rules (seeing the Blackguard skill discussion), I thought this would be a more acceptable solution.

--- End quote ---

We accept and expect that spells will never be exactly equal because that's just a fact of design. Ideally, each has its situational uses.

More to the point, I don't think the relative strength of Virtue is a good peg to hang your argument on. Bards don't receive Virtue, and consequently CMW is all they have. In contrast, Paladins have Virtue...at the same level as Cure Light Wounds. Using the same logic you've employed, then, CLW also needs to be nerfed.

That the spell doesn't conform to 3.5 rules is an arguable reason to change it, although not everything on POTM follows 3.5 rules to the letter. The Virtue comparison, however, is specious.

becat:

--- Quote from: Iridni Ren on February 15, 2019, 01:59:12 AM ---We accept and expect that spells will never be exactly equal because that's just a fact of design. Ideally, each has its situational uses.

More to the point, I don't think the relative strength of Virtue is a good peg to hang your argument on. Bards don't receive Virtue, and consequently CMW is all they have. In contrast, Paladins have Virtue...at the same level as Cure Light Wounds. Using the same logic you've employed, then, CLW also needs to be nerfed.

That the spell doesn't conform to 3.5 rules is an arguable reason to change it, although not everything on POTM follows 3.5 rules to the letter. The Virtue comparison, however, is specious.

--- End quote ---

Yes, fair point that spells are unequal, even within the same spell level. When these two are so explicitly identical in power in the base ruleset and the situational power of one is rendered entirely underwhelming by the other, however, it stands to reason that this not be ignored.

It is one peg of an argument among three others. I only reply in its defense since that seems to be the attention of the replies.

I think the argument of strengthening Virtue is improved by your Paladin point, and I accept that. Why would any Paladin cast Virtue when having access to CLW? I would happily accept that as the direction of the thread instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version