Author Topic: Cure Minor Wounds (CMW)  (Read 4477 times)

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
Re: Cure Minor Wounds (CMW)
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
There are some pretty pen and paper disloyal things we do that are way more disruptive than cure minor wounds. It has some quality of life utility and very little more. It's not disruptive to game balance the way it is, hence why I say leave it.

We could just as easily say we need to make raise dead have a minute long casting time. That's pen and paper loyal and would have a similar degree of quality of life vs game balance impact.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:54:04 PM by TheFury »
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
Cure Minor is not just a cleric cantrip; bards and druids have it too.

Another way POTM is not like PnP is most people get to around level 7 pretty quickly. In PnP, 1 hp on a 1st level bard with average of 3.5 HP can have almost as much impact proportionally as 4 hp on a 2nd level 12 hp starter bard here.

Nerfing it will hurt the very weakest PCs on the server. If I recall correctly, drobita are cure minor wounds, and I want to say the Gnome sells cure minor wounds too. Isn't chamomile or one of the other herbs cure minor? I'm not sure about those last two, but pretty positive about drobita.

The higher the level of the PC, particularly those with other healing options--as InMyDarkestHours says--changing it would be nothing but an inconvenience and annoyance. Low levels it hurts on a server in which everyone says those first few levels are by far the hardest.

What's gained? It makes Virtue less not valuable.

We're talking about this again, a year later? Has anything changed from a year ago that makes bringing it up again worthwhile? I can't imagine that it is having some kind of huge detrimental effect on the server.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 10:58:09 PM »
 Buff all cantrips, I say. Why follow 3.5 to the letter? PotM should evolve to the medium it uses for its mechanics- not the source thereof, though it is a great place to start from.

I understand the complaint against c.minor wounds, but really its what makes that spell lovely. If its to be nerfed, why not a 1d6, or something like that? 1 hp is just, bad. Buff virtue, then. Make it stack. Form a cult, have them spam virtue on you and go storming through Castle Ravenloft. That'll teach em.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 11:45:56 PM »
I think the hak update brought fair Becat's mind to it. Several additions have been made recently which pull things closer to PnP, including the addition of Disguise, and the adjustment of relevant classes to have it as a skill/prerequisite.

Nerfs are good. They make the truly good things stand out more and feel special. And the low level experience being a bit harder can't hurt - it's the best time to introduce the atmosphere of the Demiplane, and that it is not a forgiving place.
Vicerimus Mortem.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 01:52:00 AM »
Is this the time to bring up knockdown, discipline, and how it doesn't exist in pen and paper but decides a lot of engagements?  That's a far more glaring issue than cure minor wounds is. I don't know why we're fighting so much over a cantrip.
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 02:51:34 AM »
Or how melee types should have access to concentration to resist taunt, yet don't, making taunt a lot more punishing for melee types as opposed to the mage types it is designed to be useful against. Discipline VS taunt makes much more sense for melee types, but mechanical contraints can't let you have two skills to oppose the one roll. Discipline is a really weird skill in nwn.

Only barbarians don't have concentration as class skill, which makes perfect sense due to their reckless nature. Ranger, paladin, fighter and monk got concentration as class skill.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 03:40:26 AM »
While on the topic of taunt and its intended targets - the purpose of taunt is to reduce a target's AC.

I would argue that a tough to hit fighter is a much more appropriate target for a taunt than a wizard who you could likely already hit consistently around level five.

On the other hand, I'm all for using taunt on wizards, as long as that wizard is me, and you aren't KD'ing me, and are allowing me time to possibly cast something and escape.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
I use this to top people off when I cure them to barley injured. When you've got the healing domain, 6hp isn't useless. If I empty my orison slots out with this, I can give back 36ish hp. Not terrible when you're trying to conserve heals and keep everyone in top form. Is that OP for a 0 level in PnP?  Yes.  In NWN?  No, its just the others are under-powered. But is it as powerful as being able to copy a book with one 0 level spell? Or make light in the absolute blackness of dungeons (which has killed me more than once) Or detect if something's poisoned?  I'm not sure. 

As Irdni said, you get max HP at level as well as less spell slots.  But also NWN differs from table top in one HUGE way.  There is vastly more combat. In PnP a single battle with a group of monsters might take 3 hours. In a night of gaming, you might see three or four encounters. You get hit far less often, go through far less HP. If we brought healing in line with PnP, we'd also have to nerf the healing domain to be pointless and useless, were spells are treated as 1 level higher (thus giving you 1 extra hp per spell). No one would ever... ever... take the healing domain again, and healing would not be a viable strategy in combat. We'd be straight back to only one possible option for combat... ward to the moon you super AC tanks, fight.. rest when the wards drop.

NWN is not like PnP, doesn't play like PnP we have to remember some changes are for the better.  If anything, address virtue by having it give up to 4hp.

Very small potatoes.  Healers at very low levels are nearly useless, and without cure minor... holy moly they would be like lips on a chicken.

Yea this, I don't see a reason to change it.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
While on the topic of taunt and its intended targets - the purpose of taunt is to reduce a target's AC.

I would argue that a tough to hit fighter is a much more appropriate target for a taunt than a wizard who you could likely already hit consistently around level five.

On the other hand, I'm all for using taunt on wizards, as long as that wizard is me, and you aren't KD'ing me, and are allowing me time to possibly cast something and escape.

Taunt applies a 30% spell failure., so I can see why people might be trying it.
: )

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 03:06:22 PM »
I only play healers and I want this nerfed because it will lead to people turning to consumables more often & therefore complaints that herbalism is too tedious, so I'm just here to make sure that happens.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »
Now I am imagining fried chicken lips being served at Popeyes....

A more serious answer is, the spell seemed bad during NCE on my bard. I opted to go buy honey from the beekeeper instead. I see no reason to nerf it, simply because it invalidates another spell.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:13:06 PM by Kaninchen »

GeneralBonobo

• New to the Mists
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
So you want to make a useless spell remain useless by making another spell equally as useless?

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 05:58:38 PM »
Buff Virtue. I'm locking this thread as it's clogging up the suggestions forum. :!:
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.