You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Question on Paladin rule change  (Read 3026 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Question on Paladin rule change
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
So the new rules on Paladin multi-classing reads:

- Monks cannot multiclass with other base classes. Paladins who multiclass with other base classes will no longer be able to progress as paladins and will lose all paladin abilities. However, both classes can multiclass to prestige classes.

- Classes must be no more than 10 levels apart when multiclassing.

This is a fringe scenario, but what happens if a Paladin multi-classes or Falls early enough that this might interact with the 10 levels apart rule?

e.g. let's say I'm a level 3 Paladin. I start multi-classing as a Fighter (maybe because I Fell in record time or something) so I can't take Paladin levels anymore. I get to Paladin 3/Fighter 13. Normally it would be illegal for me to take Paladin 3/Fighter 14 by the 10 level apart rule. So I can't progress as Fighter or as Paladin. Am I then forced to take a 3rd class? (e.g. Paladin/Fighter/Barb or whatever?) Or will Fallen Paladin levels effectively not count towards the 10 levels apart rule?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Question on Paladin rule change
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:45:05 PM »
I don't have a strong feeling about this because it does seem as it would be such a rare occurrence as to be able to decide on a case-by-case basis. But I would prefer an exception not be made to the max 10 rule.

If a paladin falls at 3rd level, she can apply for a character remake, the PC can be shelved, or she can live with the consequences. That's not a lot of investment yet in the PC.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
Right, I don't really have any preference one way or another, just pointing out a weird fringe scenario.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
It follows the standard multiclassing rules. The main difference is we allow them to multiclass whereas before they couldn’t at all.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:16:08 PM »
In order for a paladin to multiclass, do you have to start off as one or can you say...start as a fighter and then multiclass into paladin denoting a change in values and ideals?

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »
I am pretty sure you can just multiclass One if it falls? Did i misunderstand?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
at the cost of all their paladin abilities and spellcasting

Not sure why you would.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
paladins can multi-class now? Does this mean that if they do, they lose their paladin abilities and fall?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
In the very first post is says that a Paladin can multiclass with other base classes but won't be able to continue progressing as paladins and lose all paladin abilities.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Since you can’t progress as a paladin if you’ve multiclassed you won’t be able to level from another class to paladin. Otherwise all multiclass rules apply normally so in the scenario above you would need to pick a third class.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »
Since you can’t progress as a paladin if you’ve multiclassed you won’t be able to level from another class to paladin. Otherwise all multiclass rules apply normally so in the scenario above you would need to pick a third class.

So is this going to be something that is locked behind a widget, sort of like making a Drow, Runt, or Caliban character, or applying for a subrace? Where you need someone from the CC/DMs to hit you with the okay stick and you are enabled for multiclassing? If not, I can forsee an issue here, where a new player comes in and starts to multiclass their paladin only to find out it backfired (because they weren't savvy to the rules yet).
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »
People do need to read the rules. We tell them to read the rules; we make the rules easily available; they still don’t read them. Every other day we get someone who says “wait I didn’t know muling wasn’t allowed.” At a certain point, if you don’t read what is both a simple and clear rule AND directly relevant to the new character you’ve just made, that’s on you.

And despite this, even if you do mess up, DMs and remake apps are here to help.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
If they have feats such as divine might / shield and various turning abilities, that become disabled when the paladin falls, would they recover the ability to use them again by multiclassing into a different divine class (cleric/blackguard)?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
If they have feats such as divine might / shield and various turning abilities, that become disabled when the paladin falls, would they recover the ability to use them again by multiclassing into a different divine class (cleric/blackguard)?

Good question. If another class gives Turn Undead then you could use feats that require Turn Undead again but paladin levels wouldn’t count towards it. Obviously this doesn’t apply to feats that require you to be a paladin (ie: Shield Maiden’s Grace).

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
When a paladin falls do they still get treated like a fighter of the same level as of PnP? How does that get handled on this server? Frankly, I’m curious.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
Something I would like to note is that fallen paladins lose the ability to use the relevel crystal if they have shifted outside of the LG alignment; multiclassing is prohibited at level 1 and you cannot select paladin for your second level because you no longer meet the requirements. Be warned! :P
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
When a paladin falls do they still get treated like a fighter of the same level as of PnP? How does that get handled on this server? Frankly, I’m curious.

They have all of the same stats and saves, they just lose the special abilities. Yes, it means they're a slightly underpowered fighter--think about someone who's used to fighting with divine assistance and suddenly has to do without.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
Same thing pretty much for fallen druids and clerics too?
Okay gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
Another question since you know I'm the guy who likes to over-think the rules.

Let's say I'm a level 11+ Paladin, and I Fall.

Technically, isn't multi-classing illegal from level 11+ of a single class (since it automatically violates the 10 level rule)?

Therefore wouldn't that imply a level 11+ Fallen Paladin can't level anymore by the current rules?

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
No, it means you cant be like 9 paly and 11 COT since the most you can multi is 10 of any other class then your base.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »
No, it means you cant be like 9 paly and 11 COT since the most you can multi is 10 of any other class then your base.

I don't think that's correct. If CoT went to 11, Paladin 9/CoT 11 would be perfectly legitimate.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
You can't be 10 levels apart, the script will prevent you from levelling then. I think this starts once you have 11 levels in a class and more. You could be a 9 fighter / 10 rogue / 1 barbarian though since that's not breaking the rules, but not a 19 fighter / 1 barbarian.

This is valid at any level really, be it level 12 or 20. Also, the same applies for PrC's, though that's at level "20" (you must have 5 levels in a PrC by the time you hit your maximum level with ECL).

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »
Paladin 9/ CoT 11 isn't 10 level aparts.

Anyway, I guess I misunderstood the implications; a multi-classed Paladin is effectively a Fallen Paladin, but a Fallen Paladin isn't a multi-classed Paladin, so I guess a Fallen Paladin can still progress in (Fallen) Paladin classes?

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
I'd assume if you fall at lvl 11, having founded quite a majority of your career, it may be easier to apply for a delevel to 10 and continue from there as a new class, or remain at 11 and be comfortable that's your limit until you've atoned.

You'd be 'losing paladin powers' still, effectively, with the delevel. It'd be reason enough to consider it, but once you multiclass then you no longer can progress as a paladin, losing the ability to atone.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
Paladin 9/ CoT 11 isn't 10 level aparts.

Anyway, I guess I misunderstood the implications; a multi-classed Paladin is effectively a Fallen Paladin, but a Fallen Paladin isn't a multi-classed Paladin, so I guess a Fallen Paladin can still progress in (Fallen) Paladin classes?

You can’t progress as a fallen paladin unless you atone or multiclass. If your PC is above 10 you’d need to ask for a relevel to multiclass. You could alternatively use the relevel crystal and ask for a DM to help bump you to two.

That being said there’s no good reason to multiclass as a paladin unless you fell since you end up being a gimped fighter. And over the past 15 years only a handful of paladins fell. This rule change is to give them more flexibility since they no longer have to remake into a fighter.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:01:33 PM by EO »