Author Topic: Always crashing in certain areas  (Read 890 times)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
Always crashing in certain areas
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:02 AM »
Since NWN EE I always crash in certain areas (the area does not even load) - I will start making a list here:

Barovia - Radura Keep
Barovia - Vallaki - Main Docks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:54:01 AM by DM Macabre »

Quartermaster

• Outlander
Re: Always crashing in certain areas
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
I rarely crash in any areas unless there are lots of other PCs and there are area effect spells being thrown around, probably due to the high-end game computer and graphics card I run. My son however on his lap-top crashes everywhere in PtoM. Mainly his crashes occur in outdoor areas, and those areas tend to be experiencing rain. Overall I believe the EE rain is the culprit to his crash issues, due in part to the fix he came up with that reduced the crash amounts was to adjust the camera angle so he had less area in the view, and little rain as possible within it.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
I rarely crash in any areas unless there are lots of other PCs and there are area effect spells being thrown around, probably due to the high-end game computer and graphics card I run. My son however on his lap-top crashes everywhere in PtoM. Mainly his crashes occur in outdoor areas, and those areas tend to be experiencing rain. Overall I believe the EE rain is the culprit to his crash issues, due in part to the fix he came up with that reduced the crash amounts was to adjust the camera angle so he had less area in the view, and little rain as possible within it.

I agree that rain can contribute. My game often acts as though it's about to crash even when it doesn't in rainy areas. But the Docks are almost a guaranteed crash regardless. First entering into Port is as well, although I have not been playing there much for the longest time.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
The following areas are a near certain 90%+ crash rate upon entering or soon after. Even more certain when raining.

Vallaki Docks
Vallaki Slums
Watcher Estate
PaL Marchand
PaL Publiqe (to a lesser, 50-70% but still significant degree)

Generally the predictable nature of the crash allows for me to avoid them when they world be a dangerous time or use stealth to avoid the consequences of a crash.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
This has not resolved the issue entirely, particularly in the problem areas listed above, but a change I've made that seems to have at least reduced my crashes is right-clicking on my Neverwinter Nights program icon and choosing Properties. On the Compatibility tab, I then checked Reduce color mode and 16-bit.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.